• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

Today started out like this...........
IMG_E7224.JPG

With all the COVID baloney going on, I needed some of the Artwork The Father does to help cheer me. Nothing but gloom, panic and closing up of business Teresa and I enjoy. Thanksgiving is in the toilet. Christmas with grandkids seems impossible. I was feeling low. Soooooooo.......... I did some modeling!
linda20.jpg

OOPS!! Sorry Guys! Not that kind of "Superstructure"!
Now that I have your attention..................

The portside rail (Raul?!) went on CSS Alabama without much fuss. I may have learned something in the last couple of years.
IMG_E7218.JPG

Not that there isn't a lot more work to do to the hull and main deck before She goes to mold, but progress is being made. IMG_E7209.JPG
This is the part of the process I am REALLY not good at. The "wait until the glue cures all the way" part. Sanding the portside and filling imperfections where the rail meets the deck. Gun ports, Capstan location, davits, ship's boats. BOATS! Man alive! I have to make/find 5 boats to mold!! Holly Molly!! More experienced Men advise I have something else to work on.
GOOD Advice!
IMG_E7220.JPG

A trial fit of 7 inch Blakley pivot rifles to CSS Florida's main deck. These are in truth, 2 of the 1/700 3D printed 9-inch Dahlgen smoothbore cannons, BUT! with slightly shorter barrels and teensy pivot carriages, they may stand in for Blakley guns just fine. Only you Guys will know for sure!! I was worried Florida's rails were too short. They seem dandy! The 3 18-pound cannons for each side of the main deck will tell the tale! CSS Florida is looking promising indeed, (So Far). There is still plenty of time for things to go to hell in a handbasket. I remain confidant in my abilities.

Thanks for looking in!

Rhino, I know what you mean about feeling so low with all this baloney going on. It has hit me hard too; right after we had a great mini Hobby Day where I got lots of awesome progress done, they shot us up to Purple and locked us all down again! Thanks for the pic of our Father's Work; that helped me as well.

Beautiful job on the CSS Florida! You are really doing outstanding work here. I also know what you mean about hating to wait for glue to dry. That's why I am constantly working on so many multiple projects at once.

Looking forward to seeing more.

I warned you about waiting until the glue dried.
See how much better things progress.

I know. I know. I have lots of stuff to play with! For Example! Not that I don't appreciate the advice of you older Men. I removed the small, awful armored bridge, applied the generic wood deck and found laser-etched gratings I made for CSS Alabama that were too small. They will work nicely for CSS Arkansas! I need to burn 1 more for the stern deck. Future will be the adhesive for deck fittings. I figure it won't ruin the fine planking details.
IMG_E7243.JPG

It was a story in "The Sea Hunters". A non-fiction Clive Cussler book that tells the story of two friends and Annapolis graduates, Isaac Newton Brown, commanding CSS Arkansas and Henry A. Walke, commanding USS Carondelet that had a running battle on the Yazoo river in July of 1862 that piqued my interest in CSS Arkansas' 123-day combat career.
Imagine if you will, a 1/700 waterline "Dogfight Duo" from TLAR Models featuring two historic War of Northern Aggression ship models?! Sometimes I wonder about my business sense. With our Nation in an uproar about history, will I really release Civil War ship model kits with Confederate flag decals included?
You bet your Sweet Bippy I will!
Thanks for looking in!

Good! I'm glad you're gonna release them with Confederate flags! I'm still trying to save up so I can pick some of these up.

For you Men that wish for historical state Flags of the Sunny South, I have 2 sheets made up, printed on white decal paper of the flags of the Dixie states I have visited, in scales from 1/350 to almost 1/35. The Raider set will have 1/700 Confederate Naval ensigns and US & USCG flags for the captured 93' Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, included in a couple of different sizes. P/M me if you want any.
IMG_E1041.JPG

Yes, Yes it is. Don't forget your clearcoat!
The artwork is done for the Raiders decals. Printing decals happens after the instructions are written.
I haven't started the Treasury Cutter Lt. Charles W. Read captured at Portland, Maine. Her deck plans elude me.

Thanks Men! Should I split USS Carondelet & CSS Arkansas on a separate thread, I wunda? :hmm::bm:
Anyway,
IMG_E7250.JPG
IMG_E7251.JPG

I figured out how to make the "Railroad Armor" texture on CSS Arkansas. In truth, you Armor guys inspired me. I drew my razor saw blade across Arkansas' vertical surfaces. Not so unlike Zimmerit. I will use the same technique on USS Carondelet in a more subtle fashion. Arkansas' new armored conning tower is in place. I patched the wood deck back, forward of the conning station, but I might have to try that a second time. I had an idea for making turned brass smoke stack masters as well.
My Sweetie has a lathe! MUHHU HAHA HAhaha! Thanks again for looking in!

Work began on the US Revenue Service cutter Lt. Charles W. Read captured at Portsmouth, Maine in 1863.
USRC Caleb Cushing. A trim little schooner-rigged vessel, armed with a single 15" smoothbore cannon. Lt. Read captured quite few Federal vessels, I just thought this one was the coolest. I patterned the Cushing on her close sister, USRC Louisiana.
US Treasury Revenue Cutter.jpg

IMG_E7284.JPG

Fo' Weal model ship kit makers use CNC machines with the profile & deck plans programmed to make the cuts for their Masters. TLAR Models is making advances, but is still old-school. I used the little woman's scroll saw to make cuts on the hull profiles. I glue the printed scale pictures to the bottom of the hull, and gingerly make my cuts. No fingers were damaged during this process! It's good when your Sweetie has cool power tools!! :vgood:

IMG_E7287.JPG

Meet "The Wrecker" black 80 grit resin sanding stick and "The Shaper" GHA's red resin sanding stick. Using Teresa's scroll saw saved HOURS of "wrecking" and "shaping"! I mark the areas to be removed on the Master with black sharpie and work it until no more black shows. The 1/96 scale CSS Alabama's smallest boat, at 30.1 meters in 1/700 scale, is almost exactly the right size and profile for a revenue cutter's hull! She's the guide for the smaller (more promising) Master.
Thanks for looking in! :vgood:

Back