• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

Even though there isn't much snow so far this winter, "Model Season" is solidly underway. I find peace from these dreary times in making model ships I wish for. Teresa is also making lots of new Eggknobs & Inksticks projects. A new, snazzy backscratchers, yo-yos, wine bottle stoppers with integral corkscrews, and turned compacts for the Ladies to name a few.
We is creative Folk!

Sweet! Sounds good. With further lockdowns happening here, I'm planning a few marathon building sprees at my workbench too.

I had an idea for installing rails on my lil' Masters. I went hunting for a small bulletin board and straight pins. God love my Sweetie! She says "What about this shower board/base stuff you had in here? I just bought a bunch of straight pins. Use what you need!" This is what happened:
IMG_E7333.JPG

Then the end result. Let me introduce all y'all to 1/700 waterline USRC Caleb Cushing. wood deck and railings installed. I'm still shaping Her stern and working on Her bowsprit. She was steered by a tiller rather than a wheel at the helm.
IMG_E7335.JPG

I think this ancient song sums up the feelings of Navy men returning home.
Thanks for looking in!

Thanks guys! CSS Florida may get a facelift using the "Party Balloons" rail installation method.

Sometimes, I just want to make something beautiful. Built in Nova Scotia in 1921, The schooner Bluenose is one of the most romantic sailing ships I ever saw. 4,000 some square yards of sail, She heels over and fairly flies!! Well, 16 -20 knots is fast for a Blow-Boat!:skipper:
IMG_E7352.JPG

And, of course, the old song to go with Her.
Thanks for looking in!

IMG_E7365.JPG
My Cushing looks a little like an amalgam of USRC Ranger and USRC Jefferson Davis. I cut a little of brass tube to make the base for the 15" gun mount. The grating is a modified CSS Alabama laser-etched bit. The deckhouse skylight is a bit oversize. Ima thinkin' I have to make a different deckhouse and keep the gun mount to make an accurate Cushing. Laser etched details abound.

The little sailboat in the picture is a CT-56 Sailboat, designed by Robert Perry and built in Thailand by Ta Chiao.
She's the boat featured in the YouTube channel "Sailing Doodles" that I have followed for some years now.
"Knotty Dogs" doesn't have a wood deck. What fun would it be for Captain Bobby, Megan and Aly to race Bluenose to Jacksonville in 1/700 scale!? Loser buys the drinks!!
No, Bobby doesn't know I'm modeling his vessel yet. YET!!
Thanks for looking in!
Vacation is underway!!

I don't want to bore you guys with every tiny detail. My hope that if you wish to make something for yourself, all this silly stuff I have learned, that IS NOT a secret, may help YOU create and perhaps mold & cast your own hearts desire. If that sounds overly altruistic, you must not have met me.
None of us lives forever.
IMG_E7370.JPG
I accidently made a Bluenose schooner that was too small. It seemed a shame not to make use of my error. Waste not, want not! The inaccurate deckhouse for Cushing may have found a use!
I give you the progress on 1/700 waterline Nova Scotia-built Bluenose schooner and her smaller sister Frosty Snotbox. (?!?) so far. Neither vessel is Confederate. Well, maybe....................

Thanks for looking in!

Thank You!
They will be Beautiful. I'm making templates for Knox gelatin-soaked coffee filter sails too. Everything doesn't have to be a War Machine.
BTW, Tully Mars schooner Lucretia, is a close sister to the Bluenose. The difference is an exhaust port for the diesel engine the 1921 schooner didn't have and the finish.

Oh, I don't know about all that. Thanks to all you Men just the same.
I made a major model goof on Bluenose. I built her with a long, sweeping, flat main deck. In fact Bluenose' after deck is stepped up from her main deck. Her rails also step up about midship as well. Fixing the deck profile and shaving down her deckhouse didn't prove too tedious. My hope is that there isn't air trapped between the layers that may foul up the mold. Time will tell!

IMG_E7380.JPG

Would it not be Hasegawa-esque to market Bluenose and Jimmy Buffet's Lucretia as a dual kit with two of the exact same models in it!?! Wait 5 years and re-issue the same kit with different decals?! :lol::stinker::yipee:

Pictured here also is Knotty Dogs progress so far.

Foam Party! 1/700 P/E figures lying naked on the ground?! Ha!! A jumbled pile of scale batteries for the Cayo Loco Light as well then?!
I already make a flats boat. 3D printed Mr. Twain? (Not a joke!)

A mishap has befallen my favorite modern YouTube vessel. Work on the model Ketch will progress.
After all that is 2020, this whole fun-filled year so far, there is little I can do to change most of these events.
After all the beautiful ocean vistas, endless hours of sailboat fun and well made videos that have brought an aging thalassophyte joy. I'm damned if I won't do something to help Bobby restore his majestic vessel!
One Man can make difference.

Back