• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Yazoo River Dogfight Duo. USS Carondelet vs. CSS Arkansas, 1862

Rhino

Super Moderator
I decided to split the Ironclads off from the Confederate Raiders thread.
IMG_E7344.JPG
IMG_E7345.JPG

All these chunky details HAVE GOT TO GO! I hired the maker to alter the original 3D print. Custom deck planking, armor texture. No smoke stacks. I should have kept my mouth shut. USS Carondelet is accurate in length & beam. Her profile isn't terrible, considering.
The shaved gun port hatches will be replaced by parts to display them opened out with cannons primed for a fight.
The brass tube stacks are near the proper diameter, if jus a wee bit too tall.
IMG_7337.JPG

CSS Arkansas is under Party Balloon attack! Her stern deck rail is coming along just fine!
Thanks for looking in!

Last edited:
Thanks Men! The english version of "99 Luftballoons" seems more fitting for Civil War Ironclads, does it not?! :lol:

IMG_E7381.JPGCSS Arkansas braves the (not quite) 99 Luftballoons as her bow railings are installed.
IMG_E7383.JPGOne mustn't forget Her ram!
I had been hunting for my brass screens for sometime. Last night they were found.
IMG_E7384.JPG
So I did what any modeler does with screens for a pot pipe...............
IMG_E7387.JPG
Don't worry about the crooked stack. The smokestack & engine room intake vents will be a separate part in the kit. If it goes the way I think it will, there will be only 2 resin parts. Gun port hatches, capstan, fore & aft laser etched deck hatches coming right up!

Thanks for looking in! :salute::oldguy:

Making bollards (you know, the ship tying-up-thingies) for CSS Arkansas today. It occurred to me how many of these I have to make. BFA!
IMG_E7391.JPG

Anybody but me might have glue on the bollard plates and left the gluing of bits of stretched sprue, or .008 copper wire to the end user. BUT NOOO!! Not The Rhino!
To continue........
IMG_E7393.JPG

References disagree about how tall Arkansas' smoke stack was and it's configuration. Thisun heyer is a might higher with a spark deflector ona bottum. I also made a meduim tallness one from brass tube with no details at all. All three stacks will be included with the kit, so you can do whatcha wanna. I did box in the casemate vent as well. A more interesting if not more accurate feature of "The Terror of the Yazoo River".
IMG_E7394.JPG

These hatches will be used for the gun port doors on the sides of CSS Arkansas. They opened out, hinged top & bottom. What?! You say CSS Arkansas side hatches didn't have that hokey relief on them? You must know your Ironclads, Suh!!
IMG_E7395.JPG
Of course there wasn't much of a texture to the iron-plate doors! Photoetched brass users know there isn't usually any surface texture on the BACK of their parts! Having drilled the holes in the doors, I'll just put them on upside down! See?!

Vacation ended yesterday. It's back to Real Life today and back to work at my other (real) job on Monday morning.
Some good progress was made on what now is 8 (YIKES!) model vessels for TLAR Models and one bitty Modern US Navy one, just for me!
I appreciate all your encouragement! :notworthy
Thanks for looking in!! :salute::oldguy:

IMG_E7454.JPG

Blizzard today! Lousy visibility, plenty of snow varying from little tiny, stinging snow to matchbox car sized flakes that make a noise when they hit the windscreen. Drizzle now. I hope the snowblower is hungry in the morning!
We had early-out for weather from work today, soooo..........
IMG_E7453.JPG
CSS Arkansas and I spent some quality time together. Most of her deck details are on. 3 optional smokestacks, depending on your preference, ready to mold. I carved out the casemate roof and added the vent as a detail on the main hull. I hate to add the gun port hatches on Her sides. She should be opened-out and ready for a fight!
I haven't made up my mind about the gun ports yet.

There was a T-shaped towing bitt on Arkansas' afterdeck. On a good day with both engines operating properly, running downhill, she might make 8 knots. This doesn't suggest a whole lot of towing capability.
Perhaps it was meant for assisting grounded Rebel vessels from a riverbank or sandbar.

Anyway, thanks for looking in! Signing off, from Ice Station Zebra.

Nah. The snow stopped in between 9 and 10 inches. Mr. Snowblower tossed said downy flake out of the driveway.
Mr. Caterpillar road grader bashed frozen roadways sorta clean and I went to work. It would have been a stellar day to shamelessly goof off in "The Nut Department".

Today is a red letter day! All the Mastered parts for CSS Arkansas are ready for mold!
IMG_E7458.JPG

I decided to mold & cast the gun port hatches to give a Confederate Navy modeler the choice of opening out, or securing from battle stations. I made fore and aft gun hatches and they are open, ready for action! Depending on where in her 129 day career you choose to depict CSS Arkansas, the towing bitt is a separate part, along with 3 smoke stack options. :blink

The detail parts are in a separate small mold along with anchors & ships boats.
I understand that 1/700 waterline Civil War ships aren't everyone's cup of tea. I appreciate your interest and comments!
Thanks for looking in!

Back