• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

My Lucretia/Bluenose blunder left me with but two choices.
1. Trim and perfectly sand the rails as they run forward from midships.
2. Add .030 of evergreen .010 thickness railing as they run aft from amidships. the more accurate of both options.
Does this mean the Schooner will be perfect? God's Truth, No! Will I do my utmost to make Her as nice a model as I am able? You Bet Your Sweet Bippie!! That being said,
IMG_E7390.JPG
VERY careful gluing of styrene strip ensued. Her deckhouse fits nicely inside the higher railing.
Thanks for looking in!

Thanks guys! Along Lucretia's storyline is such a thing as a Foam Party. Mike reminded me. Since I was on vacation, the imagination began to do what it usually does! Poor Tully Mars! I contend the the end result of a 1/700 Foam Party might be scantily clad figures lying on the ground. In this scale, white glue added to the most prominent female features might make all the girls look like Dolly Parton at very least! Then Mike chimes in "What size are Archer Fine Details 1/72 decal rivets?" Accuracy is tantamount, don't you agree!?:bm: Tan lines and bikinis in waterline scale! :hmm:
Oh the humanity, Ladies and gentlemen! :drool:IMG_E7392.JPG
IMG_E7388.JPGIMG_E7389.JPG
That being said, I have a dilemma. Input is most welcome! My big buddy Don gave me a mystery ship mold. I used a casting not unlike this one as a basis for the popular 1/350 USCG Point class Cutter. She measures a little shy of 150 meters in 1/700. What to do? Add rails for a generic Ship hull kit? I believe she began Her life as big scale ships cutter/rowboat. She's way too sleek for a 1/350 Shrimp boat. Not "muscular" enough for a Tug.
Your thoughts?

IMG_E7396.JPG

This morning's exercise. GUNS! Find here from top to bottom, on pivot mounts, 9 inch Dahlgren rifled gun, 7 inch Blakely rifled gun (Alabama) 2 18 pound cannons, which will stand in for CSS Florida's 7-inch rifled guns in this scale, a nine pound cannon and what once was the 81 mortar from the stern mount of a Vietnam era PCF Swift boat. (waste not, want not.) for USRC Cushing.

I can't think of way to de-complicate masts & rigging. Molded and resin cast, these lil' guys will make arming the Confederate Raiders simpler and more fun!

Thanks for looking in!

IMG_E7401.JPG
USRC Cushing is going together. Future first, so there is time to line everything up properly. I'll go back with C/A after I'm satisfied. I'll use Model Master metalizer sealer on the model before it goes to mold.
IMG_E7402.JPG
The little CT-56 Ketch tries on Her .015 wire masts. I was trying to model "Nauti Dogs" of Sailing Doodles YouTube fame, but there are several big differences in lay-out between the model and the fo' weel boat. :ph::bm:
Thanks for looking in!

IMG_7473.JPGIMG_7472.JPG
CSS Alabama got her smokestack and vents. The bridge needed to be fitted to the stack and the ship. On the actual vessel the bridge is a little higher than the main deck rail. The Master will bear that out. still plenty of details to add to the ship.
Thanks for looking in!

Snow (sorta) Day progress! I suppose since Bluenose/Lucretia is wind-driven, She can stay in this thread.
IMG_E7486.JPG

Even though USS Carondelet beckoned, I did some of this instead. I wasn't going to do this. The braces inside the rail. I needed .010 X .010 styrene strip to make it look uniform. I stretched some sprue and decided to err on the side of detail. At the time of this posting 1/2 of the schooner's braces are in. Once they are all done I'll add the foundations for the ratlines and cap the rails with .020 X .010 Evergreen strip. I'm not positive the spacing is correct. I am also not drilling the myriad deck scuppers (drain holes) at the base of the rail. They would never mold or cast well. Once all the rail stuff is done, I can complete the deck hatch details and boat cradles.

Attachments

• IMG_E7488.JPG
    IMG_E7488.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 13
Now, on to Confederate subjects!
IMG_E7488.JPG

David Angelo, of Loose Cannon East in the Philippine Islands is close to releasing his excellent resin waterline model of USS Housatonic, AO-35, WW II US Navy Fleet Oiler in 1/700 scale. In an effort to answer the global outcry for the vessel that is most often associated with a ship by that name, TLAR Models chose to womp up a 1/700 full-hull Hunley. (He's not quite ready to mold.) Hunley will include the torpedo as well.
With no regard for historical fact or truth (no. I haven't changed political parties.) I plan to send David as many 1/700 Hunley models as he wants! Perhaps a scale Japanese midget submarine passing Hunley in Charleston Harbor? Hmm.

Thanks for looking in!

IMG_E7493.JPG

Horace L. Hunley's Master is finished! You can't see them, but the little vision ports in the towers are drilled in!
The spar will be .010 copper wire with a scale Going BOOM Underwater thingie stuck to it!

Can you hear it? That sound?! What's that noise?!? The sound of every Yankee sailor in Charleston harbor shaking in his boots? NAH!
More likely The sound of Hunley taking every member of her crew to the muddy bottom of the Cooper River one more time. Brave men embarked on Hunley. Few survived.

Thanks for looking in! :salute::oldguy::Drinks:

I'll make a Pink one, or just maybe, a glow-in-the-dark Hunley just for yew, 'Pup!!

No response from Loose Cannon East so far about how many he wishes for his excellent AO-35 USS Housatonic
WW II resin US Navy tanker model kit so far!:blinklol:

IMG_E7521.JPG

FINALLY! Bluenose rail supports and rail caps are done! I wanted to move on to deck hatches and deckhouse, but they proved to be too big. (Save these parts for the 1/350 Bluenose/Lucretia kit? NOT gonna happen!) Scale, less complex deck details are in the works. The smaller Frosty Snotbox hull I made may become the luxury 95-foot Ketch she always wanted to be. Pictures later!
Thanks for looking in! :oldguy::Drinks::drunksailor::salute:

It all started in Nova Scotia back in 1921...........
She had a prominent .010 X .020 plastic rub-rail I added to the hull that didn't feature in any pictures of Bluenose. It looked really cool (If you can see such a thing) but it wasn't period correct, so I gently sanded it off. A more subtle stretched sprue rub-rail was installed instead. I can't prove She had one, but she'll need it as the dory boats come and go with nets full of Grand Banks fishes. It should mold nicely. Bluenose/Lucretia should be fun to build and not overly complex. Until the rigging starts................:bang head:ph:

IMG_E7527.JPG

BETTER! Properly sized hatch covers and deckhouse. A small repair was required on Bluenose' starboard quarter rail cap. With the hull just the way I want it, the fun of making the main deck details can proceed.

Thanks for looking in!

Back