• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

Thanks Men! The 1/700 Raiders are the most complex Kit I have attempted so far. TLAR's first photo-etched parts will be included too! :hmmm
References on CSS Florida are particularly scarce on-line. Lahk them Yankees is hidin' sumpin'! :bat
I found a book that chronicles Oreto/The C.S.S. Florida: Her Building and Operations today. :yipee
It's amazing what progress a Man can make while still in His pajamas!

I cain't say how much your encouragement means to me! I realize most of my customers are not M/A members. I never did intend for this forum to be a sales venue. I just like Models!!

Thanks again!
:eek:ldguy :skipper :salute

h9427021.jpg

CSS Florida, circa 1863.

Rhino, I am always overwhelmed at the quality of work you do on these tiny models. You are the King of 1/700 scale and I am hoping to pick a few of these up someday. Your blockade runners are simply exquisite! Way to go man! Keep these coming!

h9072847.JPG

1/700 scaled picture, and Master. It was Bowsprit day, with a practice spar in place. These are NOT the kit masts or stacks. Just place-holders for reference. They are all the proper length & height without mastheads & chain plates. You get the idea, right? :rotf

h626ffc1.JPG

PT-193 assists CSS Tennessee in keeping Mr. Clownfish at bay, while CSS Florida is building.
I have done EXACTLY as I please on my 11th birthday, so far! :yipee :dance :drinks :rotf
Thanks for looking in! :notworthy

Thanks Guys! I hope the book helps nail down main mast placement. 7-inch rifled guns were mounted on the center line fore & aft of the stacks.

Florida actually did run the Yankee blockade of Mobile Bay, in daylight under fire from Commander George Prebble's USS Oneida. Captain Maffitt & his crew were so stricken with yellow fever they could steam but not fight. After quarantine, refit & repair, Florida again slipped past the Federal Navy, to interdict commerce shipping and give the Federal Navy something else to worry about other than blockading Southern ports.

She didn't return to a US port, until she was towed to Hampton Roads from Bahia Brazil, were she was sunk not so very far from the grave of the USS Cumberland, in 1864. Models of CSS Alabama abound. I believe CSS Florida is under-represented in our Hobby.

h96be2a3.JPG

Here in the Graphics & Design facility this weekend, more Model Mischief is afoot! I have pretty well given up on the idea to laser-etch wood deck details this small. Every time I shoot the wood grain with the laser it looks like tree bark. :sick:
Since I have learned "omission" is better than "inaccuracy" in a model kit, I've been laser etching raised deck detail parts. some are on .010 plastic to install as 3d details. Some are hatches on .020 plastic to add as raised details. I know my mold RTV will pick up every minute texture of the kit. CSS Alabama should be a Gem in 1/700 scale.
3D printed guns and soldered masts should make for less fiddly, more fun model ship to build! :yipee

My CSS Florida book hasn't come arrived yet, but the same techniques will be applied to Her as well.
Thanks for looking in!
:salute :captain

It's a good thing I have my rain slicker on!

h31c4151.JPG

The book came from Chicago today. It survived Monsoon McGoon!

h96a3f90.JPG

I now have CSS Florida by the Ass! Details, exact measurements! Old School, just like me!
:yipee :dance :yipee :ro:

Back