• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

had3dd7e.JPG

Stern rail, propeller lifting hatch, and after lasered grating in place. CSS Alabama is holding for sturdier rail material to arrive from Michigan.
SOOooooo..............!

h4554487.JPG

h3e4c970.JPG

I started practicing with my new Hakko soldering rig. I remembered my RTV molds are hi-temp silicone, even the crappy ones I can't use. Dandy for soldering dainty bits!

h13e9600.JPG

A few more laser details added to Alabama.
Mowing Season takes an awful lot of model building time away. After a minor collision with a lilac tree, :vmad Unrestricted pruning War was declared on low hanging branches and volunteer honeysuckle bushes on my place.
In a 3 1/2 hour engagement, cedar, oak, lilac, and honeysuckle were decimated by Milwaukee tools and a motivated Rhino with a head wound.
They iz gonna be a BIG Fahr!!

ha24ed1b.JPG

Working my way forward. Just a few more laser-etched details in place.

Thanks for looking in!

It's War of Northern Aggression Day! I did a little repair/fill/sand/cuss on CSS Florida's hull,
I bought 3D prints of 1/700 CSS Arkansas and one of the Eads Ironclad Federal Gunboats. The only thing correct about the 3D prints were hull dimensions. I asked the Shapeways vendor to add deck planking detail but I wish I hadn't. Isaac Newton Brown's Arkansas in particular had glaring inaccuracies. My 1/600 CSS Arkansas is pretty good, but I lack the ability to continue Life without "The Terror of Vicksburg" in my favorite scale. The Federal Gunboat will be USS Carondelet, under Commander Henry A. Walke. A small (?!?) Yazoo river diorama my result, with both Annapolis classmates making their famous salutations to one another in 1862.
Step one, get shed of the cartoonish deck planking. :smack:
Step two, correct Arkansas' casemate, ladders & gun ports. :bang head
Step 3, locate and drill holes for brass tube smoke stacks. :ph:
It is good to have the juices of creativity flowing again! :yipee:

Thanks for looking in!

IMG_E7146.JPG

Back