• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48th scale Bandai Schwimwagen.

centaur567

hf04cbfd_2017-03-01.JPG

Just started while at lunch today. Not much to the engine. Most is behind a partitin like the beetle. Ive seen on some restorations that inside of the engine compartment area is painted buff. I was wondering if it should be rex oxide like other vehicles are along with the area under the wooden floor boards where the seats are? This will be a late war sceeme. Gary S.

Hey Gary, you went ahead fast on it. As the resident antique VW buff, ( was a collector of OLD vw's in my 20's and early 30's) the body units were all the same color inside and out. Have crawled all over 3 different Kubelwagens and owned a 1947 beetle at one time. The interior and exterior on the militry stuff was either grey or sand depending on when it was built.
The other thing was that all the sheet metal on the engine and the air cleaner was black enamel from beginning to end off the factory assembly line. When repainted in the field it would have gotten some overspray (on the Kubelwagen) but most likely not on the schwimmer.

Oh, and the 3 differet Kubelwagens I got to look at, all had the engines replaced with one from a 60's model beetle. My '47 had a 36hp engine from a late 50's bug but I managed to find an original '47 engine with originalsheet metal. There was a LOT of little differences between the 3 time periods.

Should dig out my old ESCI 1/9 Kubelwagen and finish it. Have the tools and info now where I didn't back in the 80's.

Thanks to all. Yes I plan to do the figures plus one from the BMW 75 kit of a German inf.guy slugging along in the mud. Gary S.

he9598c0.JPG

ha675bcd.JPG

h90bc287.JPG

hedd432a.JPG

h49b1ea1.JPG

h6d56440.JPG

Build update. almost done.Figures in progress. The general scales out to be about 5 ft tall. The others to about 6 ft.

Thanks Gary S.

Thanks!! Looks like I'm going to do the finish for the MM campaign w/o the figures. They are bashed together from other kits anyway. Getting down to the wire. Gary S.

Back