• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U-1105 Black Panther. Episode One. A fresh start.

ausf

Master at Arms
Edit, Campaign startup photos:

Lotta stuff in this Platinum version:

h5f7f09a.jpg

PE, brass barrels and periscopes.

h1eb6d02.jpg

self adhering wood deck.

A whole addendum of directions

h582bf56.jpg

If I wasn't psyched enough to build once I finished the shop, I certainly am once I cracked the box. This should build beautifully and it'll be a relief not to have to consider RCing it.

I'm building it as U-1105, a U-boat that was one of the most advanced of it's time. It was covered in rubber sheeting (Alberich) to lower it's radar and sonar profile, had a functioning snorkel to stay submerge for long periods (over 30 days at a time) and advanced sound gear.

I had a mini disaster in my bench space early in the Summer. I was finishing a drum shell and thought it'd be a great idea to use these dry metallic pigments I had on hand. The idea was to wet the area with clear, dust with the pigment, then spray on a top coat of clear while the bottom was still wet. It produced a nice effect, only problem is I had to do it in front of the spray booth since it was too large to fit inside. With the respirator on, I didn't notice that the fine pigment was becoming airborne and spreading throughout the shop as much as it was being sealed. The entire shop was covered with a superfine blue and purple dust that immediately went airborne again with the slightest motion, but at the same time would stubbornly cling to everything. It was a horror show. A few minutes in the space and I'd be choking on the stuff. On closer inspection, it was everywhere, on every wire, cable, paint bottle or flat space. It was IN drawers, on tools, on every kit, built or unbuilt. I'd later find out it even crept behind the baseboards.

I couldn't even look at it for about a month. I ended up completely disassembling the shop. Everything was either packed up in bags to be washed off or simply tossed. I tore the benches apart, rebuild everything from scratch again, including the spray booth and dust collector. I patched all holes and painted the walls and ceiling, scrubbed the floor three times over the period of a week (for anyone questioning Vallejo poly primers, I scrapped, scrubbed and picked at 15 years worth of epoxy, putty and paint spills and the only ones I couldn't remove was Vallejo grey). On rebuilding, I carefully decided what I needed to keep everything to a minimum and have storage for all of it, so nothing sits out. I built underbench drawers for tools and set the place up for sculpting, resin casting and simple kit building.

After all these months of work, I'm finally ready to hit the bench. A bunch of tools are still away in bags like the vacuformer, vacuum pump, etc that I'll clean as needed, but I need to get working on stuff now before I lose my mind.

Here's a few pics of the new space:

h17e4163.jpg

Spray booth with hidden vacuum chamber under the sheet metal. The exhaust fan is mounted under the 3D printer and vents out of the exterior wall.

head7c01.jpg

Paint storage with shaker. Clays and other materials all underneath.

h43f09d4.jpg

Dust/fume vent for use with the Foredom and Hakko. Storage for all RC and electronics.

h506f163.jpg

And finally my first project back, the Revell Platinum kit with wooden decks and PE. It's both a reward/gift to myself, but also for my son to display at Webb. I'm building it as U-1105 which was one of the first to have a few innovations that a Naval engineer would be interested in, a rubberized stealth coating (Alberich), advanced sonar and the schnorkel making it one on the first true submarines used in war.

ha1b0fc9.jpg

A fresh start.

Sorry for your troubles, but looks like you're ready to roll now. Best wishes!

(y)

A fresh start.

Good to see all is clean and tidy again (y)
You going to add the Alberich ? that would be a real cool build to follow :ro:
Got this book on the U-1150

h7edbacf.JPG

A fresh start.

Good to see all is clean and tidy again (y)
You going to add the Alberich ? that would be a real cool build to follow :ro:
Got this book on the U-1150

h7edbacf.JPG

Already got it.

I wish I knew about it back in my diving days, although it's a tough dive, it's not too far from me and not too deep or a lengthy boat ride.

Yep, I'll be adding the Alberich. I'm planning on laminating very thin styrene sheets.

A fresh start.

Wow Jeff! Seems like I knew you were doing something with the shop, didn't know it was disaster control.

The shop is looking real nice! I bet it is nice going in there now with everything all clean fresh and organized.

Looking forward to your U-boat build. It should be an interesting build.

:drinks

A fresh start.

Great job, sorry for the troubles but it's a nice fresh start.

Might I suggest this build in our 10 year anniversary campaign? Seems like a perfect fit. :popcorn

A fresh start.

Thanks all.

Great job, sorry for the troubles but it's a nice fresh start.

Might I suggest this build in our 10 year anniversary campaign? Seems like a perfect fit. :popcorn

I was under the impression it was a build of the first thing we built here. I went back and mine was a 1/16 Stug.

I'd happily join with this if appropriate.

A fresh start.

That was a suggestion but not a requirement. Anything you want to build but we're asking for it to be the best you can do. I'll move it there if you'll be so kind to get a proper start up photo.

A fresh start.

That was a suggestion but not a requirement. Anything you want to build but we're asking for it to be the best you can do. I'll move it there if you'll be so kind to get a proper start up photo.

I'll start a new thread over there, including background behind the build and a breakdown of what's in the box.

A fresh start.

I'll start a new thread over there, including background behind the build and a breakdown of what's in the box.

No need, I moved this thread, please proceed. :popcorn

Thanks guys.

I finally after so many months got some styrene in my hands.

I bought a Foredom flex shaft tool (amazing) right before the mishap, so I finally got to use it.

I started in on the opening of all the molded closed holes as well as the oil canning of the thin sheet metal of the outer skin.

As Revell has it:

h6f971a6.jpg

And opening:

h728fb7d.jpg

Right side up:

hc2a04a1.jpg

Only about a hundred more to go. I decided to go with a resin pressure hull. I figured I'm trying for the best I can, might as well go all out. As it is the PE of this kit is pretty intense.

A Foredom huh.... :blink I was smoking one over till breakers started failing in the garage. Long story.

Looks great, really nice stressing. :popcorn

:eek:ldguy There's no need for oil canning (i think )
just remove the nice rivet detail to cover the boat with rubber sheets.
:notworthy You're a braver modeler than me, adding all these different perforated sheets

h6cf6435.png

:eek:ldguy There's no need for oil canning (i think )
just remove the nice rivet detail to cover the boat with rubber sheets.
:notworthy You're a braver modeler than me, adding all these different perforated sheets

h6cf6435.png

I have a rivet making tool ready and a ton of styrene sheet in different thicknesses en route, but my son just came home for Thanksgiving and said he'd rather have a different boat modeled. I gave him book to read, we'll see if he will change his mind. I might add a few sheets anyway since they didn't last long anyway. IF I recall correctly, a lot of the Alberich that was still intact after it surrendered came loose when it crossed the Atlantic.

U-1105 had a different configuration of the vent holes, so unless I completely redid them, it wouldn't be accurate anyway. I'm still up in the air as what to do, I may look into some of the other boats that had the Alberich applied.

Turns out there was a Liberty ship named after Webb that was attacked and survived by using anti-torpedo mines, but it was a Type IX.

i would go with another boat.........you could do one side ? (still allot of work)

Anyway, its a great model what ever you do with it (y)

hb818b36.jpg

Back