• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ni-17 RFC flown by Billy Bishop 1/48th scale

centaur567

100_7111.JPG
100_7106.JPG
100_7107.JPG
100_7108.JPG
100_7110.JPG
100_7112.JPG
100_7127.JPG

This is Eduard's 1/48th scale Ni-17. I'm planning to use the markings for Billy Bishop's aircraft. I also have a Se-5a in his markings. It's a very small model. I used some detailed drawings by Mark Miller as a reference. The cockpit area was slatted wood sides, wood floor and seat. With some wood veneer I made a seat back and using putty for a cushion. Also made an instrument gage. Fit so far has been good. Glued on the lower wing also. Thanks for looking. Gary S. LGB XIV MMXXIV

Last edited by a moderator:
Eduard's newer WWI planes seem to build up fairly well. It's the OLD short run kits that are a bear. (like the Hannover)

Looking good Gary!

3D-Looks Good.gif

Eduard's newer WWI planes seem to build up fairly well. It's the OLD short run kits that are a bear. (like the Hannover)

Looking good Gary!

View attachment 143361
Thanks all !! That's what I've heard. In my stash is Eduards DVIII. It has a ton of photo etch that makes the internal frame that won't be seen. I bought the DVIII because I saw Kermit Weeks fly his at the Fantasy of Flight and hearing a real rotory engine. It sounded and smelled like a big R/C engine. A while ago I built Classic Airframes F4B and it too was a challenging built, but it turned out to be one of my favorite models. LGB
Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

100_7160.JPG
100_7161.JPG
100_7168.JPG

Added the very small PIA parts to the tail and the tail struts. Drilled out holes in stabs for control cables. Then went ahead and painted the leather on the cowling and cockpit. These will be taped over when the silver is painted. The landing gear is next. Gary S. LGB XLV MMXXIV

Cool! The first kit I built was the old Hawk Ni.17

Your's look a whole lot better than mine did!

100_7231.JPG
100_7232.JPG
100_7234.JPG

Most of the decals are on. All that's left are the stencils and tail number. Then a little touch up paint and the upper wing can be attached. The rigging of the flight controls are done along with the landing gear. Gary S. LGB XLV MMXXIV

Isn't that PURTY! I saw Kermit fly his Albatross. Just before I did, he commented that it sounded like a tractor in flight. Modern pilots do not appreciate what the brave fliers of WW1 went through. You gotta fly these old Kites all the time. No relaxing and just augering along. Nice job so far! :notworthytens:

100_7235.JPG
100_5289.JPG
100_7237.JPG
100_7239.JPG
100_7249.JPG

Opps!! While drilling holes for the gun sight tube, the drill bit slipped and caused a gauge. So more sanding and touch up painting. While waiting for a time to paint and for it to dry and since I'm working on a WWI aircraft I decided to rebuild my red, white and blue. SPAD 13. A few years ago I dropped in about a wooden chair. The rigging was a major hairball and had to e removed. This meant drilling out all of the photo etched parts where the rigging attaches and re rigging. The under carriage needed work also. It's not perfect but good enough to go back on the shelf. Thanks, Gary S> LGB XLV MMXXIV

Back