• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

We get used to the beautiful work done by current mould makers and forget how rough some kits were/are. I have a 1959 Hawk Neiuport 17.... By today's standards it is junk; but to me it is the most wonderful kit: The first one I ever built by myself.

extra work... extra putty... scratch building... Gotta Love those old kits....

Thanks Luiz and Barney,
I tried posting pictures of the finished Bf 109G-6 and it was a no-go when I hit submit the page would read 'page could not be displayed'. I will try again later.

Matrixone

A couple more pictures of the Revell Bf 109G-10, the canopy is on and masked and the model was washed again to remove any fingerprints so its now ready for paint. :pilot

h14b8170.JPG

h9b7e7b7.JPG

Matrixone

Bob,
The tail on the 109 I am doing has a very distinctive painted tail and the easiest way to paint it would be to paint the tail first and then glue on the stabilizers...the stabilizers are already painted and they also have a unique paint job on them. :)

Matrixone

Finally, some paint was added to the Revell Bf 109G-10! :)

A thin coat of pale RLM 76 was sprayed on followed by some black and gray pre-shading, after the paint dries a bit more some white will be sprayed on a few random panels and other places to add some highlights and then a coat of thin RLM 76 will be sprayed on to tone dome the pre-shading and highlights.

h223c920.JPG

hacd3e59.JPG

h6b726c2.JPG

Matrixone

I added the white highlights and then sprayed on a thin coat of lightened RLM 76 to tone everything down, this model is now ready for the upper surface colors to be sprayed on.

First the pics of the highlights....
hc350121.JPG

h7bad5d2.JPG

h297d5f0.JPG

...and below the pre-shading and highlights have now been toned down.

hc5e64bc.JPG

h2499b0b.JPG

hc406608.JPG

Matrixone

Almost all the painting has been done on the Revell Bf 109G-10, the tail and nose are all that's left to paint on this one. The tail will get the late war stencil applied camouflage pattern followed by some 'snakes' of pale RLM 76 sprayed on the rudder...this is why I could not attach the tail planes earlier in this build because it would have been more difficult to work around them whilst painting. Nearly all the camouflage pattern was airbrushed free handed, there were a few spots like the wing roots that needed a sharp edge so I was forced to mask those places.

I did about two hours worth of painting on this model, pre-shading and post fading was done with each color...first the base color coat, the pre-shading, and then post fading, a lot of work to be sure but this is proof to the naysayers out there that pre-shading CAN work just fine with multi-colored upper surfaces on models.

h996b838.JPG

hae62153.JPG

Thanks to the sucktacular western Oregon weather the wind was blowing the rain inside my carport so in some of these pictures you might see rain drops on the model. :bang head
ha900f54.JPG

h1105e15.JPG

Matrixone

Interesting mottle on this one, Les... very dense and seems to be more Green-Grey than Grey-Violet. Changes the 'feel' of the model compared with the G-14.

Ian

You are sure having some "109 fun" here Les. The previous three are quite simply phenomenal and this one seems to be heading the same way, excellent work Les :drinks

Thanks for looking guys!

Ian,
The mottle on this 109 is a bit different than the Hasegawa G-14, the Hasegawa G-14 was a model of an Erla built aircraft, this Revell kit is being painted as a Regensburg built example which were painted with a different style of mottling. The mottling looks pretty dark on the model right now but that will be toned down later by spraying on some thinner tinted with pale RLM 76 to blend the colors in a little better plus the weathering and flat coat will further mute the mottling.

More painting done...this time the tail was given its very distinctive camouflage pattern, also the wheel wells were masked off and painted.

h0e58951.JPG

The tail planes are not yet glued on, I just pressed them into place for these pictures.

h131e33d.JPG

h49b8e64.JPG

h9b1a990.JPG

h87dd255.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Bob!

Since I knew I would be adding the stabilizers after painting I did a lot of dry fitting to make sure there would not be any surprises later.

Matrixone

Back