• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

A couple nights ago I came as close as I ever have to getting flooded, the water stopped just short of my downstairs door before the water started to retreat. There is just too much water in the soil now and these heavy rains the past few days have been making for real bad situations...CBS had some national news coverage of the flooding and landslides here, this problem may get worse before it gets better as another full day of heavy rains are due this Monday so the news reporters might show up again if there are more deaths and houses lost from landslides. :(

I started the pre-shading on the K-4, a thin base coat of RLM 76 was sprayed on followed by some gloss black on a few random panel lines and those panel lines around the engine cowl.
Some white highlights will be sprayed on next before I spray on the highly thinned final coat of RLM 76 to tone them down.

hd5ee85f.JPG

hb0ab6d3.JPG

h72690ca.JPG

Matrixone

The storm Monday was not as bad as predicted and just a 'normal' storm so I feel like I dodged a bullet...whew! :)

Here are the white highlights sprayed on the K-4.

hce11e17.JPG

h7ff0f61.JPG

hcbb1248.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

Yes the weather here has greatly improved but not before setting a record rainfall amount for the month of December...at first I thought it was just me starting to 'lose it' from the constant rainy days but I felt better after learning the rainfall record was smashed a few days ago so it wasn't just me and it really WAS that bad. :laugh:
The real downside is knowing that the bad weather moved on to other parts of the country and has caused all kinds of trouble like what is seen on the news. :(

The pre-shading is covered up on the K-4, sadly in these images hardly any of the pre-shading work shows up but trust me, its there! ;)

hbbf19a9.JPG

h2a15980.JPG

hca3a1ae.JPG

h2e257fa.JPG

I had expected to be further along in painting this model but the build of the little Dragon Me P.1101 Nightfighter has been a real pain to finish off and has been holding up progress on all my current builds but the good news it should be finished in a day or two. Its amazing how one difficult build casts such a long shadow over all the other models.

Matrixone

Looking fantastic Les! I know what you mean about difficult builds holding things up. Usually, if I have not much time; I'll set the difficult one aside and continue to work on the ones that I can complete much faster. That way, I get things done and one build isn't holding up all the others.

Then there are the days when I just get stubborn and stick with a difficult kit just to say that I beat it into submission..... :bang head :bat :bat :bat

Thanks for the comments!

Some of the difficult kits like those older small scale Dragon things are frustrating, they can look so good in the box and give a person false hope that a real nice model can be made from them. I have found its better to just step away from the bench for a day or two when something is giving me trouble like the Me P.1101 is so I don't have the bad vibe spread to other kits.

Besides the Me P.1101 being a pain to put together neatly the 1/72 scale Dragon Ta 152C still brings back bad memories of all the problems I had with that one...I only finished it because at that time there were no other Ta 152C kits available in ANY scale and I just had to have one in my collection. There was no way for me to know that just a few years later there would be two kits of the Ta 152C produced. :facepalm

Matrixone

Work has started up again on the K-4, the upper surface of the wings and tail planes were given a coat of faded RLM 75, Tuesday I expect to finish painting the wings with the segments of RLM 83 green. This K-4 will be getting the early style of camouflage of the type.

he264efd.JPG

hebc08db.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Bob!

The dark green was sprayed on to complete the camouflage pattern on the wings, this was done free-handed although I did mask off the ailerons to keep a sharp edge on the demarcation lines between the two colors.

Those that know the Bf 109 camouflage patterns well will instantly notice the camouflage pattern is not like most other K-4's, the aircraft I am modeling is one of the earlier production K-4's and they sometimes wore the earlier G-10 patterns.

h5cd9cbb.JPG

hf0ee49c.JPG

When the paint is 100% dry I will remove the tape from the fuselage and spray on the fuselage camouflage colors.

Matrixone

Back