• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Thanks again guys!

Except for the tail the K-4 camouflage is finished, I still need to spray the tail RLM 81 and then hand paint the hard edged dark green mottles.

h946b50f.JPG

he096a68.JPG

haca9c0b.JPG

h71250d8.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks for looking in!

The camouflage for the K-4 is now finished, the distinctive stencil applied camouflage pattern used on the tails of many late war 109's has been painted on and after the paint dries for a couple days I will spray a coat of Future on it to get it ready for decals.

h83532c2.JPG

h96829dd.JPG

hb035f9e.JPG

Matrixone

Had not really considered this before but that entire tail assembly was different from the previous one.

By that time , components were being prefabricated at different plants and were doing simplified camo paint jobs.

I'm guessing the spotted tails were originally meant for a different project that fizzed out.

Looking interesting (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys!

Christian,
The stencil applied camouflage used on the tail of the later G and most K-4's has always been of interest to me, I understand the need to decentralize production of aircraft parts because of the bombing raids but the use of the stencils to apply the camouflage on the fin and rudder is not as easy to understand the thinking behind it, using a spray gun to apply the camouflage colors would have been about as quick as using stencils. A lot of the stencil applied camouflaged fin and rudders had additional painting done on them after the aircraft was assembled using a spray gun and RLM 76 to blend the camouflage of the fuselage and fin and rudder together, if they were going to do that why not just paint the fin and rudder with the spray gun to start with? :idonno
Another thing that's interesting about the fin and rudder being built and painted by subcontractors is they seemed to be ahead of the rest of the aircraft industry and were supplied with the latest camouflage colors...the very aircraft I am modeling is an example of this with the fin and rudder painted in late war colors while the rest of the airframe was painted with a mix of a late war green and the older RLM 75.

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

Christian,
The stencil applied camouflage used on the tail of the later G and most K-4's has always been of interest to me, I understand the need to decentralize production of aircraft parts because of the bombing raids but the use of the stencils to apply the camouflage on the fin and rudder is not as easy to understand the thinking behind it, using a spray gun to apply the camouflage colors would have been about as quick as using stencils. A lot of the stencil applied camouflaged fin and rudders had additional painting done on them after the aircraft was assembled using a spray gun and RLM 76 to blend the camouflage of the fuselage and fin and rudder together, if they were going to do that why not just paint the fin and rudder with the spray gun to start with? :idonno
Another thing that's interesting about the fin and rudder being built and painted by subcontractors is they seemed to be ahead of the rest of the aircraft industry and were supplied with the latest camouflage colors...the very aircraft I am modeling is an example of this with the fin and rudder painted in late war colors while the rest of the airframe was painted with a mix of a late war green and the older RLM 75.

Matrixone

Hey Les - all of what you said is exactly what makes late war German aircraft so interesting as modeling subjects.

Mike

Just a thought about late war stuff....Well a couple actually.

By late war they the majority had lost the majority of their craftsmen and were using POW's for their labor.

Secondly, they were building bits and pieces at remote site ( again with POW's) They might not have anything fancier than paint brushes and stencils in all places, much less trained people . :idonno

It also appears that they were cobbling a lot of thing both in armor and in aviation to get something usable out tu the troops.

Anyhow, it made paint jobs more intriguing,,,

Cheers, Christian B)

Back