• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Bob,
This Me 109E model will only be seen from below so I went ahead with some dried mud splatters from the main wheels. The upper surfaces won't get any weathering since it won't be seen anyway.

The painting of the Bf 109K-4 tail is now complete, this was a little more work than I had wanted to put into it but I do like how it turned out. :)

The dark green RLM 83 spots were done by looking at my reference photographs and carefully painting the outlines of the spots to match the photographs, than when it looked good enough I used the same paint color in my airbrush and filled in the center of the spots.

hd83ebcb.JPG

If you look closely I made the edges of the spots slightly soft looking to match the look of how many of these of these tails looked after they were sprayed with the stencil...some tails painted with the stencils had hard edges but most appear to have a slightly soft edge where the stencil lifted a tiny amount creating the soft edge between the two colors.

h27493c3.JPG

Here is a 109K fuselage that was found near a forest aircraft assembly center just after the war ended. There were many fuselages found at this site and the tails were all painted in a similar fashion.

hc7e590f_2014-07-30.JPG

...here is another snap of one of the captured 109K fuselages, this is not the same airframe as seen in the above photograph.

hfd2dbbd_2014-07-30.jpg

I just need to paint the fuselage and the major work on this model is done. :D

hcba9d84.JPG

Here is another color photograph of a K-4, note the colors and pattern on the tail. :hmmm
h2947fd8.jpg

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

It was harder to do than expected placing the outlines of the spots on the fin/rudder, I was trying to get an exact match but the best I could do was get close and in this scale that is not too bad. :laugh:

If there is a Mighty Messerschmitt GB I would like to try painting the stencil applied fin/rudder camouflage on a late war 109 except the next one will be in 1/32 scale....so you can guess what my entry will be. ;)

Matrixone

I've seen so many of your projects over the years, friend, but this is really shaping-up to be one of your very best.

Ian

Thanks Ian,
Every kit I start building always starts the same, in my minds eye I picture the finished model as the best ever but by the time I am close to getting it actually finished reality sets in and I can't wait to get it off the bench so I can start something else. :hmmm :idonno

Matrixone

Thanks Dave and Terry!

Terry,
Hanging the Matchbox Me 109 from the ceiling is a good thing, this is not the type of kit that you want to see very close up. ;)

This old crate will be finished very soon, in these snaps the decals have been put on and nearly all the weathering too. Only some small bits need to be added and then it will get its flat clear coat and exhaust stains airbrushed on.

hf9bab9e.JPG

h086c142.JPG

he7a7c3c.JPG

h7f13fd2.JPG

Matrixone

Looks pretty good from here . I guess we should not have too high of an expectation from Matchbox :fencing

I guess if you really hate it, there are plenty of big trees to hang it from and plenty of ammo :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks again guys!

Christian,
For a kit of this vintage its not all that bad, the overall shape looks good enough but the extreme surface detail is a real eyesore and the decals were equally as clunky but at least they went on without the slightest problem.
This model is being built for somebody else so I won't have to worry about how its displayed. ;)

Matrixone

Hey, I've built a few Matchbox kits in the past. Still have some on the shelve .

They probably look worse in 1/72 since the panel lines are so wide.

No matter about the kit though that paint job is wonderful .

I still have one of those gigantic Lysander that they made . I would like to build it someday . :fencing

I'm afraid it will probably require an insane amount of work to make it look descent. :snoopy

Cheers, Christian B)

I have a Lizzie and a Beaufighter... both require extreme measures to build. One of the guys in the local IPMS told me "Don't Do It"

Back