• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Quonset Hut Scene...

Jeeves

Well-- this one had been running around in my head for a good long while now since I received the resin set when it was released. Apparently the kit and it's expansion set I was hoping to grab aren't even available anymore. Here are the parts before I started-- since these were taken, I have one of the shells and an end piece glued together on a base. I had thoughts of building it so the two halves could be shown apart-- but with the surrounding base, not sure how that'll work-- still to be figured out...
001~53.jpg

Nonetheless-- some of the pieces that'll be part of the scene-- a crew Jeep that will sit outside the hut full of crew--
003~66.jpg

001~68.jpg

And from the ICM Japanese crew set-- a bicycle to lean against the building or nearby...
006~54.jpg

What's up Mike , got your firewood in ?

Any way you can open the middle up and show it under construction ?

Heya Glenn...

Sadly, I've not gotten any wood yet. My wife's been on a family hike kick and my son's playing football this year, but I'm starting this weekend whether she likes it or not...she's too used to being cozy in the winter to say much. ;)

That would be very cool to do-- but I've got a notion of what I want to do with the crewmen inside that wouldn't work if they're still building it-- but I love the plans...where you get them? I need some good interior pics at some point...

Turned the heat on for the first time last night, only for about 15 minutes to knock the chill off. Back in the 70s again today. :popcorn

I'm a little late getting into this party, but I'll say, that looks like it will be interesting whenits done. One comment on it though. That Bicycle should be either OD green or Flat navy gray, depending on the final setting. I don't think anyone had bikes in gloss colors on any bases, but thats just an opinion, and you know what they say about them.

Dave

Hey-- this one dropped off the face of the Earth ;)

Dave-- I see what you're saying...but considering the Jeep and Hut and most all of the people in it are going to be OD, I was hoping to invite a little color into the deal ;) Maybe we can say it was "liberated" from one of the local yokels?

Been spending some time on this-- if nothing else, it gives me something to escape and do when the house gets crazy-- it's getting to be busy PTA and 4H activity time so the wife and daughter always have people over- so I disappear being the unsocial one I am ;) Here's where we are at for the present--

The back end of the deal...obviously this will be sitting somewhat in the terrain....when I get there...still need to shorten the chimney and scratch a cap to it...
001~77.jpg

And the business end of this wall-- going to have a couple crewmen admiring the scenery...a guy will be tending the stove...and either a bunk or two- or a card table game...not sure yet....the stovepipe looks a bit crooked but it might be due to the base being a bit warped....I plan on clamping and gluing this down to a thicker piece, so hopefully that'll work...
002~74.jpg

Some to the side as well...sorry for the blur...
004~70.jpg

And lastly-- taking a page from the Bob Letterman book of diorama-ing-- my "assembly line" of cast and crew ;)
005~70.jpg

More shots of the stove and nearby bucket of coal in the first of 4 sections of the hut...I fixed the stovepipe a bit-- still not perfect but I imagine few were ;)
001~78.jpg

002~75.jpg

This gent will be standing next to the stove pouring coffee...
003~78.jpg

And since there is a lack of coffee products in the scale short of pricey railroad O scale items-- it's time to pull from the Book of Joe ;) Used some sprue nubs and wire- and instant pot:
004~71.jpg

And cup:
005~71.jpg

Gotta love that Dremel Stylus and small drill bits ;)

Grabbed a radio face from an armor kit and glued it to a piece of styrene...
006~63.jpg

And finally a little something for the backs of the leather jackets on my crewmen...
007~57.jpg

Thanks guys! Two out of the four sections of the hut are still out of form...I'm hoping I can get them all to behave before long...

You might want to get a second crew in there as well. They did billet more than one crew in barracks. And I also believe they also had bunks in the enlisted mens barracks. Nice work so far.

Dave

Thanks Dave and Kenny!

I will have it pretty packed in there. Enlisted men slept 12 bunks in these huts and officers slept 8...I'm really wishing I'd picked up the extra hut sections when they were still available as I think 6 might be the max I can fit in here...worked on them this afternoon after Easter brunch...I'll get some pics up after things dry. I have 6 started and learned tons so if I need to make 2 more it'll be a snap...this one section has been added to and its starting to get crowded ;)

Well...more progress...
First up a shot of the bomber jacket art...had to paint a white cloud on the back so the decal would show up...got some touching up on the trouser bottoms I see ;)
001~79.jpg

It's getting downright cozy in here...got a airman in the back adding to the collection...a couple soldiers in a card game, and a guy near the stove who just received a Dear John letter (mail to be added yet...)
002~76.jpg

003~79.jpg

And my first attempt at a bunk using measurements from my son's...and we ended up being a bit too big- so it's now a table ;)
004~72.jpg

Next one was a bit better-- even found some styrene rod for the legs...
005~72.jpg

But then I found I still need to improve on it after finding this pic...
IMG_0897.jpg

First stage-
006~64.jpg

Gotta tie it in with the wire I bent from a paper clip for the top part of the frame-- that's on for tomorrow...I won't have the wire frame that we see in the pic-- but will add a Aves sculpted mattress to each of the 6 so you wouldn't motice anyways ;)

Back