• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 B-17G Chowhound...Decals and into Darkness

1/48 B-17G Chowhound...Interior Ready to Install

Many many thanks.

Christian these pictures are minus a dull coat for some of the interior surfaces. That will come as the last item.

Joe

Looking good Joe. All the work is paying off.

Never been inside a B-17 myself but I'm really wondering ( looking @ your work )

Was the plywood actually varnished ? :idonno

All I can remember from working on old birds is marine plywood on floors . Very utilitarian and not beatified.

Now, airframe ribs were definitely finished with marine varnish . Just curious .

Cheers, Christian B)

I was wondering to ,so looked at some pics and it looks the where

h57daa3f.jpg

You are all very kind.

Looking at the photo I can live with the way the wood detail on the floors look right now but I do notice something that is going to bother me a bit. The kit part is wrong in a big way. The shape is way off. That is going to bother me a lot.

Joe

Nice pictures . I'm not able to back up what I said about the floors as I have never been in a B-17.

However, you have to realize that if it's not visible from the outside it's not important.

Many bomber interior parts were left natural metal to save on weight also .

The one B-24 I had access to had wooden floor in the cockpit painted black ( visible to the outside )
But the same floor in the wheel well was bare wood.

The B-17 you are looking at is pretty but it is a restored piece that these guys hope will last forever.

Not sure that it's necessarily like the factory build it . Just saying :idonno It's your model .

Cheers, Christian B)

You are all very kind.

Looking at the photo I can live with the way the wood detail on the floors look right now but I do notice something that is going to bother me a bit. The kit part is wrong in a big way. The shape is way off. That is going to bother me a lot.

Joe

I see what you are talkin' about Joe. The "step" at the end of the table where it meets the Nav's floor. I don't know if that is standard or not. My references seem to miss that part :bang head

Very kind. Thank you.

Christian I cannot verify either way. I believe we can chalk this up to a bit of educated guess and a whole lot of artistic license.

Ed that is what I was looking at, well that and the width of the flooring once it gets to that point.

Joe

Very kind. Thank you.

Christian I cannot verify either way. I believe we can chalk this up to a bit of educated guess and a whole lot of artistic license.

Ed that is what I was looking at, well that and the width of the flooring once it gets to that point.

Joe

That's what I thought Joe.

Ok, found this for ya... look closely at 1:38... Quick glimpse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EAMSJ0Y1KM

It does seem like a pretty significant aspect to get wrong. I think the next time I try this bird I may try to scratch out the flooring.

Joe

It does seem like a pretty significant aspect to get wrong. I think the next time I try this bird I may try to scratch out the flooring.

Joe

I'm sure you'd make a big improvement on it Joe. YOu have the talent :drinks

Very kind. Thank you.

Joe

Joe, I can't either . That was me thinking out loud . It means noting more that I was searching for logic.

Their logic could have been completely different than mine.

All the US combat aircraft went through changes during the course. Some changed the interior colors or discorded them all together.

The one thing I would consider is that large interior portions visible from above were kept dark so to not attract unwanted attention .
I don't even know that all manufacturers complied with that .

Cheers, Christian B)

1/48 B-17G Chowhound...Fuselage Closed

Well a big day at the bench.

The Fuselage is closed up. Still need to fill and sand some but it is closed. I am going to let it dry overnight and then I can proceed tomorrow. i still need to add the nose glass and a few other bits of clear.

The interior as we had seen it.

Interior-Finished-4_zpsg7gb7p9p.jpg

Interior-Finished-1_zpsw7uxitst.jpg

Interior-Finished-2_zpsnux3ypkv.jpg

And now as she sits.

Fuse-Closed-1_zpsm8ckrpr7.jpg

Fuse-Closed-2_zpslhmneorr.jpg

Not a bad fit by any means but still has a seam bead and a couple of trouble spots. Overall not to bad at all.

After dealing with the seam it will be on to the wings and getting them attached.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Back