• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1:350 Graf Spee

grafspee113.jpg

:pilot

Academy PE is nice stuff, it separates from the fret with ease but is pretty strong where it should be. The instructions leave a lot to be desired. Basically you have a color picture of the PE parts mixed in with the plastic, part numbers are called out but no instructions or detail of what parts go where exactly. I was able to find a book on the Graf Spee but that can take you only so far. I'm tackling the Arado Ar 196 and it's catapult first, looked to be the most complicated assembly so let's get it out the way first.

Looks like I got the floats position wrong, I'll correct that when I get back to town next week.

These parts are really REALLY small!

Making progress, got the catapult build, really have to get my mind around what to replace and not replace, I think some of the instructions are wrong about removing detail from the decking for the wood planking to fit. More on that later because i'm no where near that point.

Think I'm going to go with this scheme guess they don't like hotlinking

Which I found at Modelewarships.com and is the DML color call out. It has about the best redention of the superstructure camo I've seen yet. I'm going to add the two black stripes up either side of the superstructure that they use to fake out so many of their victims. More on that later, also.

Pictures when I can. :mpup

Good to see some progress,I would find that PE stuff,especially on the plane,impossible-great job.

Pcitures!!!

Really, I think this was the most difficult PE in the set, and it wasn't really that hard compared to some of the stuff I've done.
grafspee115.jpg

Hey Les, if I send you this airplane, would you do a splinter scheme for me! :geek

And got the hull primed, found some spots that didn't show up and I'll take care of them with the sanding bob thingamagig.
grafspee114.jpg

Next up will be the black waterline stripe, then the red hull and upper hull grey, then i'll place the wood deck!!!

There's a groaner...

Yep, working on the big gun turrets last night. Have to remove the molded on detail in favor of the PE stuff.

I gotta thank Laura again, while check the gallery out I saw the gallery she posted "Luftwaffe in Color" and low and behold,

1524.jpg

Check out her gallery here.
https://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=177

Moving along, no pictures yet. Started working with the wood decks on the super structure. Also painted some. So far I'm finding the wood veneer fits exactly. haven't fixed it in place yet, just cutting it out, rather tedious.

Got to get some Hull Red and I'll start painting the hull and get the deck in place. Really long weekend coming up, and I may even take half a day tomorrow!! :mpup

OK, here ya go Laura, grabbed some shots with the cell phone heading out the door this morning.

grafspee116.jpg

grafspee117.jpg

I was thinking I'm ready to put the decking down but i'm not, I have two other shades of grey to do on the super structure.

Back