• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1:350 Graf Spee

Bob, since you're going to Lowes or Home Depot anyway...... Check the ceiling fan section for brass parts. And also look at the plumbing section. There a scads of replacement parts there that are brass or brass plated.

brass-lamp-parts.gif

Brass lamp parts- try a lighting store.

Duuuhhhhh, I'm smarts like that boss. I went to scool and gajiated. :gogo

You are gonna think I've really gone over the edge with this idea. Go to a home furnishing store and find some el cheapo candle holders, hacksaw them to suit your needs and drill out the shank for mounting screws.

I do this kind of stuff all the time at work, making stuff outta stuff.

That's a good idea Greg, may not go with the candle stick idea but I will cruise the hardware section for stuff.

What a beautiful view, that of the wooden deck: it seems to be such a fine fit! (y) The metal barrels are very cool too, although they will be painted grey. I guess that building these boats require quite some experience with modeling: although you make it seem easy, Moon, I'm awfully sure it isn't! :hmmm

I'm following this build with mighty interest, as well as Laura's Tirpitz, so... :popcorn

Cheers and lead on Bob! B)
Fernao

Very Nice Indeed!

I've all three of these ships from Testors/Italeri in 1/720 scale underway. The Deutschland, Admiral Scheer and Graff Spee. At his scale they are each only 10-1/2" long (less space in the display case). I like the idea of lamp parts. Must find a Lamp shop. So far I have the three hulls, the superstructures, and decks together and painted but not all glued together yet. I want to do as much painting as possible before installing them.

I just ordered the etched brass from White Ensign Models, Nice! Will have to post some pics.

Shame about the Battle of The River Platt. Why close with British Cruisers when you have the range on them?

Thanks Greg, good to see ya around.

I look at this thing everyday I got to the garage. On the sideline but not forgotten. :mpup

Greg said:
"... Shame about the Battle of The River Platt. Why close with British Cruisers when you have the range on them?"
Guess we'll never know that for sure. :idonno There is talk about the German captain being led to believe that there was a much more powerful fleet awaiting the Graf Spree, other than the two Brit cruisers... :hmmm

So, Bob; how's the build? No news...? :)

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Got news for you Fernao!

Here's an extreme dry fit so far

grafspee129.jpg

Most of the superstructures are done now. Just all the doo dads and stuff to add. This shipbuilding thing really gets you thinking about when you do this or that. Really have to plan out your approach.

grafspee128.jpg

Fruit of the labor today...yes, it took all day, for the most part.

grafspee130.jpg

And some rail work. This stuff is tough!

hope you likey! :mpup

I've been making progress on my 1/720 scale Italeri kits of the Deutschland, Admiral Scheer, & Graf Spee. I'm doing these three sister ship in mid thirties colors. So far they are fine kits right out of the box.

I just too delivery of the White Ensign brass for these, nice.

IMG_0006-3.jpg

IMG_0005-2.jpg

IMG_0007-2.jpg

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0004-1.jpg

Beautiful ship and a great job up to now! :ro: I don't really know why, but I kinda always think "ship" when someone says "model", although I've never built one myself. :hmmm Could be 'cause they very probably were the first scale models around - this is just an educated guess... :idonno Anywhat, ships look good on shelves in the living room of any house, as part of the decoration - at least that's my opinion. Even my wife once said she'd like to have one over the fireplace... no, really! :eek:hmy: :laugh:

That said, the Graf Spee is one good lookin' cruiser and you're doing it justice - I too loved that metal gun: are all of them metal? Very cool build, Moonie, and I'll keep my eye on it 'till the very end! :dude

Cheers and build on! B)
Fernao

Back