• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/24 Airfix Spitfire FINISHED

Thanks Bob. I'm sure there are arguments both ways. its just a matter of personal choice i think. :)

Decided to close the wing panels. 3 reasons 1/ there is not much to see in there despite Airfix best efforts 2/ the thing about Spitfires is the Classic lines and in particular the elliptical wing and it just seems wrong to spoil this on the shelf. 3/ Everyone else leaves them open :)
All valid reasons! Especially the last one LOL. Don't be a sheeple!

Closed panels saves detailing time and in my case, the reason for no displayed engines to ruin the shark mouth markings!

Decided to close the wing panels. 3 reasons 1/ there is not much to see in there despite Airfix best efforts 2/ the thing about Spitfires is the Classic lines and in particular the elliptical wing and it just seems wrong to spoil this on the shelf. 3/ Everyone else leaves them open :)View attachment 159453
Do what makes you happy. On my builds I would show a buddy the small stuff I spent hours over and then close it up and he couldnt understand. I liked the panels closed and I knew what I put into it even if noone else would see. Made me happy to do the work but still would rather seeing it all buttoned up.

The kit engine bulkhead has a few parts

_DSC6768.JPG

But with a 0.5mm drill you can open up some holes to add pipe work

_DSC6771.JPG

Restored aircraft seem to leave pipes in copper but i suspect they would have been painted like everything else

_DSC6773.JPG

I cant go too fasr with this till i have an engine as i dont know about clearances and whats visable.

_DSC6778.JPG

I might add as little white to my green and add some lighter detail, maybe the pipe work. There should be some data plates here as well , not included in the kit but i have some airscale 1/24 sheets.

Ah yes
Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's ya farther, dirty blighter dicky birdied, feathered back on his Sammy and caught a waspy in the Bertie.... we all learned it off by heart at school 45 years ago along with Shakespeare and Greys elegy.

I am following the recipe but it is a strange order of construction. It leaves you constantly wondering if the next part will fit. As it happens it has done so far because the engineering and fit is incredible.

_DSC6783.JPG

What this kit has shown me along with the SU27 Great Wall hobby i built is the engineering and production has moved on miles from even 5 years ago. We still put up Tamiya as the bench mark but really this kit puts even Tamiya to shame especially as most Tamiya kits are now re-boxed old models. I will be astounded if this kit needs a micron of filler or if anyone can find a visible injector pin mark or the smallest amount of flash
What's great news for me is this is British designed and British manufactured not too far from me and its a world leader even compared with the latest Chinese offerings and its affordable.

What will be interesting is i am using this as lead up to the 1/24 Hurricane from Airfix thats now 50+ years old which arrived from E-bay today :).
I thin k it will be quite a shock but maybe more engaging than this easy build :cool:

Tops of wings were a perfect fit to the bottom wing and fuselage fillet, no filler needed here !!

I will now put this to one side and look at the engine. Fortunately the engine covers can be fitted over the engine whereas the gun covers cant be fitted over the guns without removing the Ammo drums.

_DSC6789.JPG

I started mine last night. I have heard that imitation is the highest form of flattery, so I hope you don't mind if I follow closely with what you are doing, especially the copper pipes.

I looked at the various paint schemes for about an hour, trying to decide which one to go with. I know NOTHING about any of the pilots mentioned or the dates of the battles so I was going by looks and tidbits of information provided about each plane. I am American, so I naturally looked at the American version flown by Captain Garth Jared in Italy; but this plane is such a British icon that I thought that would just be wrong, so I immediatelydiscounted it. I particularly liked the paint scheme of the French version, especially the tail markings and red nosecone, but don't like the clipped wings, plus, again, it is not British. It HAS to be British. It came down to the ML214 flown by Johnny Plagis over Devon, England in 1944 and the EN398 flown by Wing Commander James Edgar "Johnnie" Johnson in 1943. I like the invasion stripes, but Plagis, it seems, flew the plane after they were removed. On the other hand, I don't like the invasion stripes because they cover the other markings. I think it has boiled down to WC J.E. Johnson's plane, unless you say "Dear God, whatever you do, don't build that one!" All I can tell you is that I like the green oak leaf. Photos from the time show the leaf as being red, but he said his leaf was green, and I like that. I don't mean to highjack the thread, but wanted feedback from you about my decision.

I think I have decided, also, not to do a build thread since you are doing one and it would just be a repeat, unless you suggest otherwise. I will post the finished product photos, just, not next to yours for comparison since I know there will be no comparison LOL.

I have learned so much from your build already, including the history, photos and facts provided by your knowledgeable followers, and I greatly appreciate all of you, o great Jedi masters.

Thank you for listening. Now, once again Paddy, you have the floor. "Applause all around! "

You are in for treat Greg, it goes together very well.
I'm going with the option B as it was based at Kenley and i live about 15 miles from there. Kenley airfield is said to be the best preserved battle of Britain airfield now. Runway and dispersal pans are all still there as well as several buildings. The RAF still operate gliders there but its actually a country civilian park now as well.

a couple of restored blast pens at Kenley

01-Front-Pen-11-768x432.jpg

Last edited:
Colour war time pictures are few and far between so its hard to tell what sort of condition an engine would be in. My first thought was it would be pretty messy but...........

a4cdotl5.png

These are being worked on in the field and look pretty clean..........but no superchargers ?

Merlin-Spit-960_640.jpg

this one looks like an undercarriage collapse the way the props dug in and they are lifting it back onto its wheels.. But again the engine looks remarkably clean

Merlin-Spit-IIa.jpg

This is a Mk1 with its dodgy cooling pipe that looks to be in bare copper finish but again the engine looks spit clean.

The cooling pipe was ditched on even later Mk1s as it was part of a overheating problem
so my guess is i go with a pretty clean engine....Recipe says soot black but from what i can see its semi gloss black from the reduction gear and flywheel case

Back