• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/24 Airfix Spitfire FINISHED

Later Spitfire seats were SRPB - Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper. The resin was what gave it that red-brown color. The change came around May 15th, 1940.

I know, I know... TMI

Metal or SRPB seats could be seen in any Mark of Spitfire post May 1940. The SRPB seats were introduced as an alternative to the metal seats not a replacement. Either type of seat could be installed from the factory or as a replacement during maintenance if a seat was damaged.

Modifications to both seat types were incorporsted through out the war and into the post-war period. In 1942 a modification was raised to add a metal bucket to strengthen the plastic seat. In 1945 a modification was raised to reinforce metal or plastic seats with the introduction of the Q harnes. A post-war modification was raised in 1946 to reinforce metal and plastic seats when installing the Z harness.

Colour wise, the SRPB seat could range from bright red-brown to chocolate brown. The SRPB was not a uniform colour so that colour range could appear on one seat.

Any metal fittings or modifications on the seats would be grey-green.

Cheers,
Rich

From my post number 5

"Note how the sides are paper mashe as well as the seat base but darker more like Bakelite."

middle war seats were paper mashe with a lozenge shape indent in the seat which was for the dinghy air bottle., very unconfutable i would imagine. Alloy seats about 1940 known as trough seats were deep enough so the parachute could form a cushion and were green or black or even bare metal. Plastic seat were also used. The reason the front of my seat is not painted yet is because i have not added the perforated front edge . The part is included in the kit but i have issues with it because its so far removed from original i would need to completely remake it.

d57ef3a5e5da4ceb4b613e75a2621aff.jpg

Most confusion about detail is a result of the number of incorrect restorations. particularly cockpit and engine detail where modern safety rules and new tech makes these aircraft safer to fly 80 years on
Its very hard to find 2 pictures of cockpit interiors the same now especially the RH cockpit side like this :)

supermarine-spitfire-mkvb-cockpit-jay-miller.jpg
supermarine-spitfire-p9374-at-the-imperial-war-museum-in-duxford-cambridgeshire-EP461Y.jpg

Or even this original like the top pic which is what i suspect they based the kit on.

spitfirestarboard.jpg

Just a ;picture to show how the cockpit tub is fitted too the fuselage half rather than the cockpit interior being built up on the fuselage side'
This is a method that after market resin cockpit upgrades often use but can be tricky to fit.
This model makes life easier but iot is still tight. You have to be exact. After taking this photo i had to remove the tub from the side as i got it about half a mm out. It really does need to be correct but once correct it will fit without any trimming.

_DSC6741.JPG

I buttoned up the fuselage Which went pretty well without and sanding of the tub needed, well done Airfix

_DSC6746.JPG

As usual I work progresses in total turmoil as i juggle work and pleasure. A few bits stuck in place and the phone goes, I cant hear what the Italian guys is saying, tell him to send me an email. E-mail pings, glue a couple more parts, send return email and of course the phone goes again....you get the picture...but i am winning :) ,

If there was a real criticism of the early 1970's Airfix 1/24 Spitfire 1A it was it had no detail in the gun bays and no wheel wells. Well with this version Airfix must have taken the earlier criticism to heart and have gone a little overboard :)
Not complaining but it reminds me of the big balsa wood gliders i used to build as a kid ..

_DSC6743.JPG

_DSC6744.JPG

Although it looks like i haven't painted this structure it is actually Alclad white aluminium. All these spars would be seen if you leave the gun bays open.

I buttoned up the fuselage Which went pretty well without and sanding of the tub needed, well done Airfix

View attachment 159379

As usual I work progresses in total turmoil as i juggle work and pleasure. A few bits stuck in place and the phone goes, I cant hear what the Italian guys is saying, tell him to send me an email. E-mail pings, glue a couple more parts, send return email and of course the phone goes again....you get the picture...but i am winning :) ,

If there was a real criticism of the early 1970's Airfix 1/24 Spitfire 1A it was it had no detail in the gun bays and no wheel wells. Well with this version Airfix must have taken the earlier criticism to heart and have gone a little overboard :)
Not complaining but it reminds me of the big balsa wood gliders i used to build as a kid ..

View attachment 159377

View attachment 159378
Although it looks like i haven't painted this structure it is actually Alclad white aluminium. All these spars would be seen if you leave the gun bays open.
With all respect good sir, those oblongish thingies are called wing ribs. I have one from My Dad's Cassutt III racer. He put a gusset on backwards and didn't use it. This must be the coolest Spitfire build in the Whole Wide World!

Do you know what ? first of all i put stringers...and thought thats not right. So changed it to spars.. and i knew that wasnt right ..so well done with ribs :)

Decided to close the wing panels. 3 reasons 1/ there is not much to see in there despite Airfix best efforts 2/ the thing about Spitfires is the Classic lines and in particular the elliptical wing and it just seems wrong to spoil this on the shelf. 3/ Everyone else leaves them open :)
_DSC6758.JPG

Last edited:
Back