• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

You're Gonna Need a Bigger boat.

First, you have to be out of your mind. Second, you need one of these 60 foot boats. then..............
IMG_5756.JPG

I've stumbled upon an Orca Plan! I also was delighted to find that my cream-colored Smooth-On resin can be carved!! I used my scribing tool to do it! Careful sawing, sanding, Lots of Coffee, ridiculously teeny pieces of plastic card, good music, and THIS comes out!
IMG_5751.JPG

Then you find out, that your stern deck is too deep, and your stern is 5 scale feet too long.
IMG_5753.JPG

SO, chopping, carving, putty and sanding produces this!;
IMG_5757.JPG

What about a Dio of USS Indianapolis heading out, and Orca heading in? Both of Samuel Quint's sunken vessels.

Next, make a barrel rack out of .015 Cu wire :pinch: lengthen the cabin, because you shaved off too much :bang head even though you were looking right at the PLANS :facepalm add a chunk of .015 plastic card to the bow, then chop off a piece of .010 strip to make a pulpit. Then, Gently now! sand/file everything so it looks properly ORCA-ish.
IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

Mined, sunk, and abandoned, a mis-cast while pouring Point Class Cutters produced a sunken PCF Swift boat. Waste not, want not!! :rotf
IMG_5766.JPG

If you think this is looney so far, just wait until I put the railing on the pulpit, and cut up 5 little tiny yellow kegs for the rack!

Photo-etched parts underway, Bridge ladder, pulpit rails, and exhaust stack. It's going a lot better that I expected!! :ro: Sorry, men. No mold for the 1/700 version. This one is strictly for my own model-enjoyment. You'll have to wait for the 1/350 version if you wanna buy an Orca, umm... Famous Shark/Fishing Boat!!
IMG_5770.JPG

C.S.S. Tennessee got her ventilators! I hunted for mu USS Indianapolis for the background, but She's in Mothballs :(
IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

Thanks to my Brethren for you encouragement, and your kindnesses!

Finished pulpit rails, drilled portholes, and added Orca's crane boom. I'm calling this ready to paint, in this scale. A braver Man might have hollowed out the cabin, and posed the door open, like it mostly is in the Picture. :huh:
IMG_5776.JPG

USS Portland CA-33, stood in for The ol' Indianapolis, but you get the Idea...............
IMG_5777.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A
I did make new look-out rings. The previous ones were just too clunky-lookin'.
IMG_5778.JPG

Tomorrow, off to the Yard, for paint!! I'm looking for my old Calypso model, so I can cabbage on to a BIG Shark!!

That looks magnificent! Too bad you won't mold that in 1/700 scale. I was hoping to get one since I only build 1/450, 1/500, 1/600 and 1/700 scale ships (except certain ones like Calypso, etc.) I don't ever do 1/350 scale so I'll just resign myself to never having one of these.

Keep going man, I want to see that little beastie in paint!

And I shall! Thank you for you kind comment! had you mentioned your desire sooner, I could have molded Her. I almost did.

1,100 men go in the water. Clown fish in the water. You know the thing about a Clown fish, Chief, he's got silly eyes, cartoon eyes. He come swimmin' up, and he tell you a horrible, campy joke, and them eyes, roll over white, and then you hear that awful groanin' and barfin'. He don' seem to be livin'! Then, He swims away like Jerry Seinfeld, on Thursdie night, without a care about quality humor...................
IMG_5836.JPG

OR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Orca? Samuel Quint? Do you mean Orcinus Orca? Bringer of Death? BROTHER!! Me too!!!!!!!
IMG_5837.JPG

OH!! 'Pup wants to see the Porker! I get it now! Mr. Whitey! OK, Here you go!!
IMG_5834.JPG

Howzatt?!?! :rotf
Models are supposed to be fun, Right?!?!! :facepalm

I made my kegs out of yellow Monogram sprue. 5 of them fit in the rack! :yipee
I made use of Jon Bond's using-Future-as-an-adhesive tip, to attach the kegs to the Model. I'm calling the 1/700 Orca done! I'd paint some more, but the more I paint on Her, the worse she comes out! :idonno :bang head
IMG_5840.JPG

Clown Fish turns the tables on Orca and her crew. "Hooper!! We're gonna need a BIGGER BOAT! Ahead full, now."
IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

Thanks for sharing in my silliness!!
Stay turned for the 1/350 scale "Famous Shark-Fishing Boat" coming your way this Summer :idonno from TLAR Models.
The Esoteric, from the Eccentric! :gogo

Back