• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

I did some testing last night after reading over Watanabe-san soldering tips. What I'm going to do is recreate the mounting points of the Engine Mount rods that I intend to replace on the jig. Not doing all of them because of the complexity. but the big picture of it will work. I'll have the mounts extend into the rear firewall for strength and help aligning so I have the right tilt on the engine.

I got some Honey-Do's to do today but I hope to get this working soon.

Thanks for all the encouragement, "Moriarty, How can we go wrong with all these positive waves man? It's a Beautiful thing!"

wildcat132.jpg

I know some among us would have had their slide rules out and measuring and checking references. I used the ol' mark 1 eyeball and did a rough guestimation of how far I wanted the top struts of the mount to push out. roughly 3mm. I taped down a couple of 1.2mm pipes on top of a piece of scrap brass sheet that will be cut down and sanded later. Using it for leverage and test fitting right now.

wildcat133.jpg

I like the angle, it's a keeper.

wildcat134.jpg

What's all this then? Guess these would be called barrings. what they really are is 2mm pipes inserted into the holes that were drilled out where they kit part mates with the firewall. See, this thing will be adjustable till I get it in place. Then I'll lock it down with some well placed solder.

wildcat135.jpg

Don't worry Saul, I got a couple more parts that should sure it up and make it true. But I ain't gonna let you close to it with a caliper. :mpup

and no burnt fingers!

Sometimes it's the simplest things that knock you off your feet. I've been playing around with this for too long. Time to get it done. When test fitting I have ben using rod and pipe to line things up. I've been trying to keep the rod as close to the inner diameter of the pipe so to keep it from moving around. WRONG, started using this .4mm rod and some length to make sure it doesn't just fall off while testing. I drilled out a small hole in the crossmemeber on the lower assembly, the slide the 1.2 mm pipe stock on it. then it dawned on me. Do the same thing on the Engine Mount ring! Using the mount points for the kit parts I added the .4mm rod then the I can take the Mount ring and slide it over the pipe. It becomes pretty rigid but still allows fine adjustment. As soon as I get all the pieces cut to size and in position I'll slap some CA in there and it's paint time!

wildcat138.jpg

wildcat137.jpg

In this shot you can see the cut out panel I'm using as a rough reference of where the engine mount ring should end up. It should actually sit back just a touch. May have to file down the rods a bit.

wildcat136.jpg

I love this brass stuff! Making my own parts? not anytime soon but this is a blast now it's moving forward.

Done! Well with the Engine Mounts.
wildcat139.jpg

Side view

wildcat140.jpg

top view, I tried to get a ruler running down the centerline to show how the Engine Mount lined up, but I didn't have enough hands and My Bride was engrossed in Idol. think Saul would be pleased. :eek:hyeah

wildcat141.jpg

Looks a little skewed here, OK, last time you see that view...

wildcat142.jpg

Now the next hurtle. Make something that will tie all this together and fit on the mounting ring. Actually this is the other mounting ring that will be removed and saved for the next build, if its even used. But the rear of the engine, supercharger and cowl flaps need to be attached to a firewall that is then attached to the engine mount. Will it be brass, styrene, wood, who knows, I sure don't..Stay tuned and find out! Oh and any suggestions are more than welcome!!

Oh yeah, hope you like the images from my new camera.

Well it wasn't really something I shopped for because I had to swap the Camcorder for what was in the store but I think I did OK. It's the fujifilm finepix s1500.

Bam! Knocked that one silly, didn't ya? That looks great, Moon! That 1/48 'Cat in the stash is looking better and better...

Cheers!
chuk

Saul is quite pleased!
:laugh:

It does look good and your eyeballs don't need calibration, they're doing fine.

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
Saul is quite pleased!
:laugh:

It does look good and your eyeballs don't need calibration, they're doing fine.

Regards,

HA, need a little calibration, when I get into really detailed work I got to stack the reader glasses on top of each other. :woohoo:

Any suggestions on how to fill in that firewall would be appreciated... :huh:

If you mean the bulkhead that goes at the mounting ring itself- boy!
js640_Airwing_F4F-3_011.jpg

Looks to be stamped from sheet metal, so you could make a master from styrene and vacuform it, then detail up the vac. Sounds like fun to me! :) Is there no corresponding kit part that could be modified? Just don't know this kit- sorry!

If this is what is meant, jsut how much will be visible? Work from that point of view. Chuk's vauum forming suggestion is great but you can also manufacture it from sheet styrene and add the radius at the front (near the center) which should be blocked from view via the landig gear bay by the accessory pack.

(non aircraft modelers can be heard saying 'huh?' about now)

Regards,

Back