• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

sharkmouth wrote:
moon puppy wrote:
I can't get that stuff to stick!

PM me a photo of a toothpick dipped in the glue, I want to see if it is thick or runny. Do NOT place an order until the weather warms up. Once frozen, the glue is useless.

Regards,

Sorry Saul, I missed this. It is a bit thick. the last bottle I bought was during summer so that's no problem. I have maintained the heat in the garage this winter because i'm storing my new pressure washer down there and I forgot to winterize! It has not gotten cold down there at all.

I'll post a picture later this evening.

sharkmouth wrote:
moon puppy wrote:
I can't get that stuff to stick!

PM me a photo of a toothpick dipped in the glue, I want to see if it is thick or runny. Do NOT place an order until the weather warms up. Once frozen, the glue is useless.

Regards,

Sorry Saul, I missed this. It is a bit thick. the last bottle I bought was during summer so that's no problem. I have maintained the heat in the garage this winter because i'm storing my new pressure washer down there and I forgot to winterize! It has not gotten cold down there at all.

I'll post a picture later this evening.

Where do I start...Some times I get so bogged down in details I forget the big picture. I have been absolutely obsessing over how I'm going to mate the Vector engine to the firewall and to the Engine Mount.Since the last update I have been dry fitting and realigning and testing to no end and still no idea. Until tonight. I'm taking all the freakin' panels off from the gear well forward so I can mount the dang thing anyway I want!

I'm going to use the kit parts that make up the Engine Mounts, which are nothing more that steel rods (really heavy ones at that) that mount the engine to the firewall. Trumpeter supplies these as purely cosmetic treatment inside the accessory bay. I'll make them more than cosmetic and actually mount the Vector engine to the mount ring with some creative license. The frame work for the cowl is built up off the front cylinders of the engine itself. Then 3 stringers run back to another ring where the cowl flaps will be. I have no clear pictures of what the cowl flap actuators look like or how they were controlled, so neither does anyone else.

Up shot, I may be short, I may be long it may not be lined up perfectly, but no one is coming close to this thing with a caliper so what do I care?!

Plastic will be flying tomorrow as I cut away the panels! I'll try to preserve them as much as possible to use them as forms for the panels removed and laying about in whatever setting I end up with.

Sorry, no pictures... :mpup

Oh yeah, those intake manifolds that I said earlier that I installed on the wrong port...they were on the right ports, I really need to stop thinking too much!

Oh gee Dad..Maybe that's what the problem has been. Haven't had your guiding spirit to get things back on track cause I had a "Git'er Done" moment this evening.

There comes a time where we are committed to the course of action that we have chosen. That time is now my friends.

I'm either going to nail it, or have a hell of a lot of spare parts laying around.
3 JCL saw blades later...

wildcat131.jpg

There's enough of the cut away panels to use as forms for thinner stock to make the removed panels. These are just too thick to make realistic looking panels laying about. I'm thinking with all that plastic gone from up front, no one could tell if the engine is not lined up right or not. I do have a little test figured out when it is done though.

Assembled the kit supplied engine mount and test fitted. There's no way this will work with kit parts. The mount is cocked upwards and the engine would be tilted up about 20 degrees. Guess who's going to have burnt fingers from soldering brass this weekend...I'll be reserving creative license rights also.

It's getting closer and closer :)

Now you know, why I haven't started my P-38 .... it would last for a year at least.

I'm watching, Moon! I've picked up the Hobby Boss 1/48 version- with a Vector engine! Can you carve a simple balsa block jig on which to make up the engine mounts? You could pin the parts in place- and save your poor fingers!

Sorry pal, carving would take talent.

Really not much to do, couple of V joints but just hitting the right angle is the trick for me. I have to push out the top V and the two sides just a little to push the Mount Ring down and forward. I really think the whole ring needs to be pushed forward some. This is one of those things i'm just going to go at it and let it land where it may.

But some sort of jig may come into play when I get out the firewall that attaches to the Mount Ring. Notice how it curves back towards the rear and flares out to mate with the outer stringer for accessory bay panel? I'm planning on cutting up the Eduard PE internal wall for the Accessory Bay to use the mounting stringers. this is the assembly that the intercoolers (the box looking things) are attached to.

I'll try all best practices on pinning parts and all, but you know, I know, somehow I'm gonna get burned!

Actually kinda looking forward to this. I get this mount figured out it's clear sailing.

Hey man , .......... you're doin just fine , ......

To quote Sean Connery from the movie THE ROCK , ......... " Losers always say they did their best , ........ Winners get to go home and do the prom queen .............

I really like that you have the cajones to tackle this , ....... and from what I've seen so far , ......... I like it !!!!
A lot of people have called this a rah - rah site , ........... well guess what , ................. rah - rah , ....... anyone who attempts a build like this [ or any build ] deserves all the credit in the world , ...... I don't care if there is a little artistic liscense involved , ............ looks like an F4 to me , and a very nice one at that ........

We model because we like it , ......... as long as we make the attempt and follow through , ........ it's a winner ............. by the way , ...... who was your prom queen ..........

Good lord I'm on my 4th Heiny now and I'm gettin mushy ...........

We're either cutting you off Glen or just wait for me to catch up.

Rah Rah, why? Because we don't have assholes flaming everyone?? I say they just jealous.

moon puppy wrote:
Rah Rah, why? Because we don't have assholes flaming everyone?? I say they just jealous.

I don't want to take this thread off topic, cos it's a great build log....

But, it is one reason why I like this forum so much. It's run and managed extremely well ( (y) to the Jenny and co and all the great admins/moderators) and full of modelers that obviously enjoy this hobby, simply enjoy the fun of building model kits - of all kinds - even the wingy thingy's :lol: , and most importantly are helpful and willing to encourage others.

Most of the other model forums I visit seem to be full of "rivet counters" and expect every single build to be a 100% replica of the real thing - and worse still think that they are better at building model kits than anyone else - they may very well be better, but I, and I suspect many others, couldn't care less... :unsure:

Anyhoo... minor rant over... back to moon pups super build... :cheer:

hehehe, alcohol does loosen the tongue! So you know he likes the build as do I.

Moon Puppy, try building the jig from pine or balsa blocks and sheet. One jig for the sides, and the other to alight the sides for the top and bottom angles.

In my younger years, I used to create several jigs for wing ribs (both real aircraft and scale models). It is the best way to make sure the sides are all true.

Regards,

Back