• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Whiffers" (for fun!)

So, way back for "In Another World", I had bought a started Tamiya Kyofu for my P-40 conversion to floats (don't worry, that is still on the shelf), but had an extra body left over and had a neat idea for it of a possible experimental fighter or specialized Kamikaze aircraft.

I got some inspiration from this picture I found online

Rex_what_if copy.jpg

So, I moved the cockpit to the rear of the fuselage by the tail, filled in the old cockpit hole and some others and painted it up. Also made a take-off trolley for it out of spare parts.

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4481.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

And am making a little display base as well.

IMG_4477.JPG

Just put some decals on tonight so should have an update soon.

And another on the go, The F-16B.

I did write Hasegawa but did not receive a reply from them regarding a new canopy so I decided to go a different route after seeing a few drone conversions online and the Hasegawa Thunderbolt UAV.

F_18.jpeg

F16_Drone.jpeg

Since I didn't pay much for it, I deleted the cockpit and began filling in the hole.

IMG_4470.JPG

Taped it to prevent sanding some of the detail

IMG_4471.JPG

And after lots of putty and sanding, I have this!

IMG_4476.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4491.JPG
    IMG_4491.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 14
Many years ago (mid to late 1980's), there was an academic paper written by a USAF Academy student on converting F-16A's that would become surplus as the F-16C's entered service to UCAV's. It proposed replacing the current F-16A wing with an enlarged and strengthened wing and optimizing the avionics to make it a better bomb truck.

Cheers,
Rich

So, I moved the cockpit to the rear of the fuselage by the tail, filled in the old cockpit hole and some others and painted it up.
Nothing to it, right? Honey Hush! :notworthy
Some people take a look at a model and they don't like what they see. Some guys can see what could be, then alter the model to fit their vision.
The Wheels of Creativity are whirring merrily in NS! :good:

I unfortunately haven't finished anything recently. My bench time has been limited, life just seems to be extremely busy with work, family and kids. I find myself filling a day, then getting an hour or so at the bench around 10 pm but then not having enough steam to do things like masking and painting.

I have been picking at a few I have on the go, but also started a couple others as trimming and gluing don't require as much energy.

I pulled out Tamiya's old A-10, I really thought this kit would be fun to do as a whiffer. The fit is good but the details are showing their age!

IMG_6512.JPG

Also, I had bought a couple old Tamiya Rufe kits. The Rufe was an interim modification and while very good, it lacked range. I thought an idea to overcome that might be to twin the Rufe, extending the range and allowing it to carry a bigger bomb load. Anyway, playing with that idea too and since these kits are cheap, and seem to be more 1/50 scale (they are smaller than the Hasegawa and new Eduard Rufes) than 1/48. I'm going to try and finish something this year!!

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_6511.JPG

"I made a take-off trolley..." Sure. Just womped up a complex mechanism from bits lying about. You. You're good, you.:Drinks:
It caused me wonderment that no savvy Nakajima engineer added a sizeable fuel tank to the Rufe in her pontoon.
Zuiun Rufe-san looks promising indeed! 23mm gun pack and a pair of 550 bombs?:bigrin:

Got some more work done on this one. Body sanded, fuselage attached, rear tail plane fabricated from sheet styrene and the remainder of the old ones. Port cokpit filled in and I took the 2 beaching trollies and fashioned them into 1 large one.
IMG_4534.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4536.JPG

IMG_4537.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG

IMG_4539.JPG

IMG_4540.JPG

Back