• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vallejo smoke and satin varnish

Paulw

I just got my RLM 8 bottle set in the mail today and my Satin varnish and smoke. I want to use the smoke exclusively for exhaust stains and such and use the satin for covering those all flat colors with little effort.
My question is, how would someone use the smoke properly to make sure I wont muck up my builds? oops.

I have noticed uneven coverage when I shoot future and it just leaves the flat with all the pits. That is most unfavorable.

I just got my RLM 8 bottle set in the mail today and my Satin varnish and smoke. I want to use the smoke exclusively for exhaust stains and such and use the satin for covering those all flat colors with little effort.
My question is, how would someone use the smoke properly to make sure I wont muck up my builds? oops.

I don't have VAllejo product, do have the Alclad Smoke and it works pretty well. If I had to guess the Vallejo product is pretty thin so you'd build it up in layers. Paul what I would do is put a good seal coat, either lacquer or enamel clear coat on before doing the Vallejo smoke (this is assuming it's acrylic like the rest of the Vallejo line) that way you can remove it with acrylic thinner if need be without harming the base.

I have noticed uneven coverage when I shoot future and it just leaves the flat with all the pits. That is most unfavorable.

Not sure I follow here.

Paul , Future shoots a lot better if thinned with around 50% Tamiya X20A thinner . You could also add some Galeria fluid retarder to it.

Cheers, Christian

Back