• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS TEXAS build.

Nice fix, maybe they did something wrong and just didn't mention it.

:popcorn
I did see a photo of one model where the builder removed the railing. Anyway the line drawings of the ship show the base for this turret sitting fairly high off the deck, higher than the kit base. Wouldn't it have been funny if on the real one nobody thought about it when they added the catapult.

1705247999150.png

The Cat is gone here but you can see the railing is really different. Looks more like some sort of basket. At the time I didn't realize I was taking photos of a turret, it just kinda blended in.

View attachment 164987

The Cat is gone here but you can see the railing is really different. Looks more like some sort of basket. At the time I didn't realize I was taking photos of a turret, it just kinda blended in.
Those baskets, haven't found what they're for yet,
20240114_111128.jpg
are mounted all over the model. I still have some to make. They're a real pain. They would clear the catapult if attached to the superstructure there.

I wonder if the catapult was collapsible. That maybe the ends folded in for clearance when not in use.

1705336072879.png

On this pic the thick column is not flush with the back of the turret however it appears to be on the model, that small amount would give clearance but its more likely the railings are to high i would say. Its a minor detail and not a problem IMHO

View attachment 165020

On this pic the thick column is not flush with the back of the turret however it appears to be on the model, that small amount would give clearance but its more likely the railings are to high i would say. Its a minor detail and not a problem IMHO
The PE cat won't fit offset like it's supposed to be.

The whole catapult issue is a mystery to me. It looks the part, but the photoetch, as designed, doesn't fit offset on the turret like it's supposed to. The reason it's at that angle is to clear the 14" inch gun barrel elevation. The part is so fragile I'm sure I'd mangle it trying to do some tweaking. I think what I'm dealing with is poor design from the manufacturers.

I'm almost there! The kit supplied bow flagstaff was to thick, and looking at Texas pics, way to short. The kit didn't even supply one for the fantail. I replaced the bow flagstaff, and made the whole setup for the aft one with stretched sprue. The fantail's staff is set at an angle. I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with this Trumpeter offering. I mean it's not like there's not plenty of
20240115_182035.jpg
20240115_181904.jpg
20240115_181042.jpg
20240115_181502.jpg
20240115_181227.jpg
info to make a decent model. Hell, the real thing is sitting in Galveston, they could go look at it. Anyway it is what it is. At this point I'm just looking forward to getting color on it.
20240115_180947.jpg

Tim I read earlier today that they took the aircraft and the cat off during the Normandy landings. Not sure you're going with a specific time frame but that's one out for ya if you want to leave it off.

Tim I read earlier today that they took the aircraft and the cat off during the Normandy landings. Not sure you're going with a specific time frame but that's one out for ya if you want to leave it off.
Isn't that perfect 🥴
I had it off again just this morning trying to fix it. I just told my wife what you wrote. She said she can't take anymore with me, and the stupid catapult ...she's been hearing a lot of grumbling from the workroom 😜
I'm seriously contemplating removing it. Especially since I'm doing the paint scheme she had put on in '45. Acetone makes quick work of CA glue, and doesn't harm the plastic.

Back