• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962 COMPLETED

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962 Paint!

I like it better Mike .

Bob, today reminds me of one of those Ohio misty/wintry rains . All the good things are inside. :(

Cheers, Christian B)

I like it better Mike .

Bob, today reminds me of one of those Ohio misty/wintry rains . All the good things are inside. :(

Cheers, Christian B)

My wife probably would want me to paint the walls or ceiling since it would be nasty outside. :S

Tim

Otlichno Tovarisch!! I'm liking your painting muchly, very! :notworthy :good: :popcorn

Many thanks to all for the nice comments! Well, it's that time again, we need to make those shiny white metal tracks look more like the real thing. Ron shared this video awhile ago, it's worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMmgs2_Mcb0

So here's where I am today. All the supplies, be sure to do this while the wife is away. :laugh:

IMG_8356.JPG

I bought a plastic drywall mud pan to mix the solution in, it's almost long enough to immerse the whole run. Mix the solution 1:1 with distilled water.

IMG_8357.JPG

Dunk the tracks and the process starts.

IMG_8358.JPG

IMG_8359.JPG

Agitate the solution with an old tooth brush to get the bubbles out of the recesses.

IMG_8360.JPG

After just a few minutes, here's where we are.

IMG_8361.JPG

Be sure to rinse the runs thoroughly to stop the chemical process and let the tracks dry. I'll add some pigments and such tomorrow. That's today's update.

Cheers! :drinks

Great work as always! I like the T-62 and that sure is a great job, you even have the plumbing on the external tanks looking fine

Thanks, Tim! I'm fortunate that my wife loves to read, so she gets the hobby thing. I had the day off today, so I added some more highlights to the upper hull and turret. Looks better to my eye, still looks weird on the monitor right now.

IMG_8339.JPG

IMG_8340.JPG

IMG_8341.JPG

IMG_8342.JPG

Tracks are cleaned and drying, ready for the burnishing bath. Much more to come, thanks for checking in.

:drinks

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962 Tracks

Saul, of all the blackening agents I've used, Blacken It was the worst. It works well with small stuff, but one bottle won't blacken two runs of Panther length tracks. Black 4 Tracks that tankrat used to sell is OK, but this formula is supposed to be reuseable. I filtered mine into a plastic container and sealed it, guess time will tell. That bottle of AK Interactive Burnisher was purchased at AMPS in Atlanta back before I had my eye issues, I don't think it is currently available in that form, but is from Uschi Van Der Rosten.

Dr John, I want to know more about the use of gun bluing. :coolio

Bruce, the devil is in the details. B)

Thank you, Luiz! I appreciate your opinion. (y)

Do you use the burnishing compound while the Wife is away because of the smell, or because you don't want her to know who's toothbrush you used? :bat :idonno

There is no smell and I broke out a new toothbrush for the process, but the stove top is closest flat working surface near a water source. The lighting is good too, I just figure she'd not approve of the appropriation. :rotf

Well alright, let's get some tracks dirty! My preferred method on metal tracks is to enhance the chemical blackener with a wash, I really like the enamel Track Wash from AK Interactive, the color suits me and you can thin it with their white spirit to vary the effect. Here's one track coated (bottom) and the other with no wash.

IMG_8380.JPG

IMG_8381.JPG

I had a Moon Puppy moment and wanted immediate results, so I used my wife's blow dryer to speed the process. :mpup

When the tracks were dry, I ran my coarse sanding stick over the tracks to simulate the polished surface from contact with the ground. Just a quick zip-zip is all it takes.

IMG_8382.JPG

IMG_8383.JPG

Moving forward, I mixed up several colors of pigments and applied them in a random patter on the tracks, then "fixed" them with pigment fixer. You can also use alcohol or acrylic paint thinner to set the pigments, if you don't, they will eventually fall off and make a mess. :facepalm

IMG_8384.JPG

IMG_8385.JPG

We'll let these dry and move along to the tank later this week. Thanks for checking in. (y)

:drinks

Back