• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter 1:200 Arizona

Greg, I have seen this kit built up basically out of the box and it "looks" like the Arizona. My attention to detail and level of detail I am willing to build to is taking it to a completely different level. As far a fitting together most Trumpeter kits seem to build up fairly well it seems. As for the KA set with the wood decks, that will have to be up to you. My opinion on the wood deck thing is that they are placing a thin piece of wood over what should be the deck level. If that wood sheet is 1/64th inch thick, it adds 3 scale inches to the deck and if you look closely you can see a lot of things that have to be changed. I don't really know much about the KA set, but I am sure that it will be done to enhance the basic out of box kit. I chose to paint the decks so as to get the exact look I want. As I posted I bought the Eduard Big Ed set and I believe it will work fairly well for me, at least what I end up choosing to use.
There is a book that is considered the "Bible" for the Arizona that for a long while was much sought after, hard to find and really expensive if you did find a copy for sale.

View attachment 164037

I also found a lot of my references as photos online. I think there is a ship building forum that another guy was doing similar to what I was doing on this, but he stalled out years ago. Have not been back there in many moons. I did find the link to the actual blueprints for the Arizona from there. Downloaded them and then cleaned them up in a major way and reset them so they could be printed out in 1/200 scale if you so chose to do it. I could e-mail a copy of those to you if you are interested.

Anyway, to build the model it is your choice as to what you decide to do. Of all the people that would ever look at it, maybe 1 in a thousand might know some of the things that I found out from research. I think it is a better kit than the 1/350 kit by a long shot, but it is something that can and should be detailed up to give the best tribute to the original ship in Pearl Harbor.
Man, that was an extremely helpful reply! I say nix the KA and just get the kit and the Eduard upgrade. Brilliant. Thank you.

Man, that was an extremely helpful reply! I say nix the KA and just get the kit and the Eduard upgrade. Brilliant. Thank you.
The Eduard Big Ed might not be available any longer, you will have to look. It might be available from say Sprue Brothers or another place like that and it won't be cheap either.

The Eduard Big Ed might not be available any longer, you will have to look. It might be available from say Sprue Brothers or another place like that and it won't be cheap either.
There are quite a few Eduard upgrade kits for the 1/200! Maybe those can be special request items 🤑
1000009143.jpg

@Greg Kimsey, if you do not need a new book (I rarely do unless it's a signed copy) I found several of the hardcover books at great deals.

Amazon had this one in very good condition for $12.99USD plus $3.99USD Shipping:
Arizona: An Illustrated History; Used, Very Good Condition $13 plus $4 Shipping

Amazon has one in good condition for only $8.01USD plus $3.99USD Shipping:
Arizona: An Illustrated History; Used, Good Condition $8 plus $4 Shipping

Abe Books (an Amazon company) has the second one at $11.17USD with Free Shipping in the US:
Arizona: An Illustrated History; Used Good Condition $11.17 Shipped

It looks like Eduard has split up the big set into little sets for each section.

The Sprue Brothers Big Ed set has eight PE packs for about $221 HOWEVER, idiot me linked to the Bismark!
:facepalm:

Eduard has two Big Ed sets for the 1/200th Scale Arizona:

Big Ed collection of 6 individual sets for 1/200 Trumpeter USS Arizona. One for the ship, the other for the crew...

USS ARIZONA - PART I. 1/200 Cat.No.: BIG5323 $160​

• cranes
  • catapults
  • life boats
  • main top
  • railings
  • superstructure

USS ARIZONA - PART II. 1/200 Cat.No.: BIG5324 $115​

Big Ed collection of 5 individual color crew figure sets recommended for Trumpeter 1/200 USS Arizona.
  • USN sailors (2 sets)
  • USN deck screw (2 sets)
  • USN officers (1 set)

Yeah the Big Ed set has 6 packs or parts. I have them and am sure at this time that some of it won't be used or that some that IS used will be modified.
The cranes are a very good example. What I actually figured out from photos was no where near what the kit had or even what the Eduard PE has in it. The turned metal gun barrels I got seem to be very good and the ones I used have worked well. There is all the extra little stuff that I scratch built and cast to ultra detail the 5 inch guns. Let's not forget the oval portholes that I replaced. I have not yet touched on any of the hull shapes with the exception of the lower rear hull between the propeller shafts. I know the rear of the torpedo blisters taper too much at the aft and need to be built out and I suspect that the bow might be a little off shape as well. Time and work will solve that, and of course I will share all that I do which should make anyone following in my footsteps an easier path.

For now it is time to stop thinking on this and get back on my Ju87A. It really has moved along and I want to finish it before doing anything else. I will still gladly answer any questions even if it is an "I don't know".

Back