• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

To eBay or Not to eBay? That is the question.

Rhino

Super Moderator
For seven years I have been an eBay customer. I used their platform to promote sales of my TLAR Model kits and the extemporaneous (?!?) Model kits in my collection. Paypal has always been my payment platform of choice. Not so far away in Omaha, Paypal has resolved some fraudulent purchases and been a convenient global way to safely pay for things I wanted. I trust Paypal.
Recently Paypal and eBay did not renew their contracts. I don't know the dirty details of the non-renewal. Nobody is talking.

Ebay has offered no other choice than to submit personal banking information to their site, to be administrated by ADVEN (I think) in Denmark. The new way to pay and get paid is called "Managed Payments". If you didn't do so by 28 May 2021 you lose your ability to sell, or edit existing listings and there is no way to get paid. I truly have no wish to have my checking account administered by eBay or an overseas payment platform.

I understand that this is eBay's playing field and they can make or change the rules anytime they want to. As a customer/seller I can decide if I still want to "Play on their field". Guess what I chose?

What thoughts do you Men have?

Really you mean we can't use PayPal to pay on ebay anymore.i hadn't noticed that one

it doesn't effect buyers, its sellers that cant get paid through PP a buyer can still buy with PP but the money goes to ebay who then pay the seller in to their bank account so all money has to go through a middle man...ebay

I have given up my right to be a seller as i don't want to give my bank details to ebay,..Bit of a sad day for me but ebay has lost its way some time go i think
If there was a dispute in the past PP would refund the buyer, whats going to happen now ? will Ebay have access to your personal bank account ? No thanks.

Lots of good deals to still be had on ebay,almost never bid on anything anymore but still do well with ebay stores.In 20 years I have never had a problem buying locally or from Asian sellers.I am careful with reading reviews and never have risked more then I'm willing to lose.Like anything,if it seems to good to be true,it probably isn't.

I guess you could probably set up an Ebay only bank account if you were a seller. Keep nothing in it and only use it to receive funds.

I stopped selling on EvilBay years ago. If I have kits to sell (and who doesn't?) I hold them until the local model show. I do buy through a couple of trusted stores, decals especially, but that is it. There are 2 LHS's within 50 miles of me, so I frequent them for paint, glue, kits, stuff...

I appreciate your opinions!

It appears you can still buy on eBay with Paypal. Waiting until my item is delivered to get paid like Mercari does is unattractive to me as a seller. I wonder how many other eBay sellers don't care for the new rules and will seek more hospitable selling platforms.
GreedBay had tools to charge additional fees to "Promoted items". I thought that was what I paid 10% of my selling price for to begin with. Perhaps there won't be much left to buy.

It interested me no end, that if my kit didn't sell for $14.00, eBay would recommend reducing my price for a quicker sale. I would then raise the price on said item and sell the same article for $25.00 in a weeks time. Friday I received an email telling me an auction-style listing had been cancelled because I resisted assimilation. (eBorg?) 17 hours later another email arrived telling my my cancelled item was sold and to get it ready to ship. :smack: The Rhino has LEFT THE BUILDING!

I agree with Tony. Before the pandemic, the Asian sellers I bought Orange Hobby and Flyhawk model ships and parts from did good business.

EBorg's CEO resigned not very long ago, but there isn't much information about why Paypal and eBay went separate ways that I can find.
Very hush-hush you know.

I am trying Bonanza out. I didn't master their listing import tool before eBay denied me access to my listings, so I'm starting over from scratch. I don't know yet which is the lesser of two weevils. Bonanza and Paypal are still friends, so that seems a little comforting.
I am better at bullschtein today than I was 7 years ago. Look for my lengthy, descriptive, amusing listings on Bonanza.
I have to do SOMETHING to satisfy my selling gene!

I see a joint TLAR & Eggknobs and Inksticks website in the not very distant future.

I guess you could probably set up an Ebay only bank account if you were a seller. Keep nothing in it and only use it to receive funds.
I considered that too. They still send your SSN and credit card (For security purposes) information to Denmark. Then the do the Danish decide if your sales volumes generate enough income for 1099 tax form here in the US? No consideration of costs versus profits?
Too many unknowns for my comfort zone.

I considered that too. They still send your SSN and credit card (For security purposes) information to Denmark. Then the do the Danish decide if your sales volumes generate enough income for 1099 tax form here in the US? No consideration of costs versus profits?
Too many unknowns for my comfort zone.
I'm not thrilled at this, I've only sold some stuff on ebay, very little in fact.
But, with my parent company being based in UK and prior to brexit, UE values our privacy far greater than any tech company based in the US.
Now as far as reporting to IRS and stuff...yeah. screw that.

Last edited:
Back