• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

To eBay or Not to eBay? That is the question.

I have sold at least a 100 models kits on Ebay and made good money on them - they are usually older kits or rare ones. I have always used Paypal so the selling looks like it has come to an end. I can still buy at least though Ebay was a good market place for selling old and rare kits at overly inflated prices.

Looks like EB has gotten too big for their britches. Time for another site to come in compete and fill the soon to be empty hole.

As before, I'm walking before I run. Ebay's international shipping was a breeze. I've chosen not to try to ship overseas on Bonanza until I have a little more experience. I've been working on my "Booth" since 1:00 today. The majority of TLAR in-stock models are listed. There is feature to add a "Freebie" to each sale. I see the vaunted Cap-Holder-O-Matic in the future of every TLAR Customer, once I make some more. I never did and do not now expect to sell to my Modeler's Alliance brethren on Bonanza. My subject matter has a pretty narrow focus. I would not wish for interested ship model guys to pay "full boat" :lol: for my resin sets. Or any of the other listings of odd-ball, vintage, rare model stuff I have to sell.

Bonanza is more like running an on-line business. It's quite complex so far. It should prove to be good practice for the planned website.

My brother-in-law stuck with eBay. His wife has a long history in banking, so they are confident about their decision.

My migration to Bonanza is complete with new stuff being added all the time. I find I miss the gratification of watching an auction end (The Gun Fight) between several buyers on a rare or vintage kit. As with Life, there are plusses and minuses to every situation.

My brother-in-law stuck with eBay. His wife has a long history in banking, so they are confident about their decision.

My migration to Bonanza is complete with new stuff being added all the time. I find I miss the gratification of watching an auction end (The Gun Fight) between several buyers on a rare or vintage kit. As with Life, there are plusses and minuses to every situation.
Uh..link?

For seven years I have been an eBay customer. I used their platform to promote sales of my TLAR Model kits and the extemporaneous (?!?) Model kits in my collection. Paypal has always been my payment platform of choice. Not so far away in Omaha, Paypal has resolved some fraudulent purchases and been a convenient global way to safely pay for things I wanted. I trust Paypal.
Recently Paypal and eBay did not renew their contracts. I don't know the dirty details of the non-renewal. Nobody is talking.

Ebay has offered no other choice than to submit personal banking information to their site, to be administrated by ADVEN (I think) in Denmark. The new way to pay and get paid is called "Managed Payments". If you didn't do so by 28 May 2021 you lose your ability to sell, or edit existing listings and there is no way to get paid. I truly have no wish to have my checking account administered by eBay or an overseas payment platform.

I understand that this is eBay's playing field and they can make or change the rules anytime they want to. As a customer/seller I can decide if I still want to "Play on their field". Guess what I chose?

What thoughts do you Men have?
There are several free forums on FB. One is an auction site called a scale Model Graveyard and stuff sells on there at eBay prices. I have a ton of odd non-modeling items to eBay so not happy about this, but looks like I will have to go along with it

To date, I have sold NOTHING on Bonanza. Bearing in mind, I offer rare, vintage, valuable, model stuff along with my TLAR models. These aren't cheap-shit models. I don't budge on price because I know the value of kits.

you dont have the bidding quite as much, but every weekend on Facebook there is a place called SCALE MODEL GRAVEYARD that has auctions.

I have also been using several FB sites to find and sell things

Having found that Bonanza is not the best place to market model kits, (Every model friend I mention it too says "What's Bonanza?") I opened a Hobbyswap account today and posted the TLAR Models Yankee Pigeon and Decoy Drone Bomb-a-kaze kit to the website. I also made a couple of purchases, just to see how it goes.

Having found that Bonanza is not the best place to market model kits, (Every model friend I mention it too says "What's Bonanza?") I opened a Hobbyswap account today and posted the TLAR Models Yankee Pigeon and Decoy Drone Bomb-a-kaze kit to the website. I also made a couple of purchases, just to see how it goes.
Thanks for the shout out there Chris and good luck!

Dover Road Hobbies on Hobbyswap sold me a couple of classic (yeah. they're already that old!) 1/700 Skywave model ship kits. Stay tuned to see how it goes! The domain is owned by a young Finnish kid. Anything these days is better than Communist China.

Hey Chris, guess what finally decided to show up?

1649354229342.png

You cain't complain about the service. There isn't ANY!! Only 2 months almost to the day!
What I think you're trying to say is "Thank You."

You cain't complain about the service. There isn't ANY!! Only 2 months almost to the day!
What I think you're trying to say is "Thank You."
Yes Chris! Many thanks.

The rock thank you.jpg

I was just surprised as I had figured it had fallen into the USPS black hole never to be seen again.
And there wasn't any almost, the shipping tag says Feb 07, 2022 and today is April 07, 2022. Two months. It could have been hand carried on a slow mule and gotten here faster. Wonder where it has been all this time.

Not as bad as an incident about 8 or 9 years ago where Rolex shipped about $100k of watches to the store I work at. They were all engraved for a special presentation for a local company. They had not shown up a week before we HAD to have them and Rolex had to do another fast shipment. A month later they were found. Some mail person took the bag they were in and put it in a closet and forgot about it. Needless to say Rolex was pixxed!

Last edited:
Back