• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

THINGS ABOUT 3' s (July 26th Update)

Looking really good Ian! I really like the Winterketten track links.
3D-Looks Good.gif

Looking good, Ian! I knocked my antenna mount off at least three times, next go around I will pin it in place! Looking forward to your updates! :tens:

Time to go J walking.......
THE J VERSION
Panzer_III_number_525.jpg

March 1941 - May 1942. 770(1st series)and 823(second series)= approx 1593 vehicles produced.
(approx 2 month overlap with the H prod./ 2month overlap with the L official prod.)
The J series was to be the last true variant and became the final stable platform for the L, M & N and was the most produced version of the Panzer 3. There are a few details though that make this a hard model to tie down to exact numbers. The L, and N were produced in parallel with the later produced J's at the same factories and even had the first 50 varients with the longer barrel renamed to L's in 1942 even though the manufacturing stamp plate still had them as a J. This can be a confusing aspect unless you go with the change and settle with all long barrel (50mm/L60) versions as L's.
Major changes from the H model
  • The turret stowage bin was added to the production model and backfitted to previous models.
  • Armour thickness increased to 50mm on the front and rear of the Hull and superstructure as standard at the factory.
  • A new adjustable armoured Drivers visor and MG ball mount.
  • Armoured cowls for the brake cooling vents were redesigned and the access hatches changed to one piece.
  • The rear plate of the Engine deck was redesigned to fit the new 50mm plate.
  • The shock absorbers were also improved with a sealed longer version replacing the H 'carry over' early in production.
  • The engine deck changed 3 times during production, initially starting with the same configuration as the H but a different back plate, then the introduction of the tropical deck with armoured panels (horizontally across the 2 piece hatches, then vertically on the newly designed 1 piece hatches. (see photos below). Also the J had 1 less armoured cover than the H on the horizontal config. (missing top left pic 2).
20211012_163539.jpg
engine deck early 1.jpgengine deck early 2.jpgengine deck late.jpg
  • The hull sides plates were extended at the front and drilled out for towing, replacing the previous 'bolted on' versions.
  • Smoke candle rack relocated under the rear plate of the lengthened engine deck overhang.
  • Beginning March '42 additional 20mm spaced armour plates(Vorpanzer) were added to the front superstructure and turret mantlet but the turret plates were not always available.
  • During J production the spare wheel stowage on the track guards became a factory fitting(Aug. '41).
  • A sheet metal deflector plate was added to the rear [over the exhaust mufflers] to redirect cooling air away from the ground.
  • The additional track holder bar across the lower front plate became a standard factory fitting in Nov. '41.
  • Dec '42 the J began to be fitted with the longer 50mm/ L60 gun, which was being made ready for the L version. However in April '42 it was decided to rename these as L models to keep the long gun variant exclusive to the L model. About 50 had been produced by this time.
Panzer_III_Ausf._J.jpg

• Smoke candles mounted on the turret were later introduced for some J 50mm/L42 versions(short barrel) from around Sept '42 during the L production. These seem to be mainly back-fitted to the command tanks.
As well as the above changes the J platform became a suitable tank for some other variations such as the Funk tank, which was used to control the remote demolition vehicles. These can be recognised by the square rear turret box [with an antenna] and a large custom built wooden box on the right track guard.
pzr 3 funk.JPG

247840732_10159752798987351_1642356162181385560_n.jpg

funk2.JPG

The need for an actual working gun in a Command tank was identified with the J production and the fixed turret and dummy gun setup that had been used up to the H model was dropped for a 50 mm/L42 version with full Vorpanzer. These later recieved side skirts and spaced turret armour, as they were continually upgraded during the L phase and assigned as replacement tanks for command vehicles using J's. I think these are the toughest looking version of the Mk3.
Destroyed_Totenkopf_Division_Panzer_III_Ostfront.jpg

20211005_165035.jpg

8d1b7fe729242de797fa45b75d616224.jpg

I will be back with more on my J model builds ...........please stay tuned. :coolio2:

Last edited:
Hey Ian, this brings up a photo that I have harbored ever since I found it. I was told it was a J version, but as you are doing such a superb research job on the Panzer III, this is a good place to bring it forth.

Kubel & Pzkw III J Afrika Korps.jpg

Hey Ian, this brings up a photo that I have harbored ever since I found it. I was told it was a J version, but as you are doing such a superb research job on the Panzer III, this is a good place to bring it forth.

View attachment 148300
Nice photo Paul. Early panzer 3 J with the horizontal pattern tropical deck plates produced for North Africa. Interesting, as there are no spare wheels mounted on the track guards(prod. before August '41) and it has the 50mm gun mantlet( identified by the deleted bullet deflector strip in front of the turret side vision hatch). Probably produced in mid 1941. Some of these were redirected to Russia with the tropical fittings.

Really Interesting stuff Ian. Like MP. I'm fascinated by the way you do the tracks and bogies. I'm not sure I could do it that way! One thing is for certain, you can learn something new every day on this website. Great stuff as usual from you!

:vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood:

Really Interesting stuff Ian. Like MP. I'm fascinated by the way you do the tracks and bogies. I'm not sure I could do it that way! One thing is for certain, you can learn something new every day on this website. Great stuff as usual from you!

:vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood:
Thanks Bob, glad you are enjoying it! More info to come so please stay tuned. :)

So here is my 'Funklenk tank'. An early model J with the flat engine deck, extended rear plate, 50mm/L42 main gun.
The tanks used in the Crimea by 1.Kp/Pz.Abt.300 in 1942 seem to have some unique features such as the wooden box on the right track guard and the re-arranged spare wheels, as you can see in the photos below.
20220328_232619.jpg

The shot below demonstrates the flat engine deck and a heavy dust layer with the Nazi air recognition flag. I will go for this look when painting this model.
247840732_10159752798987351_1642356162181385560_n.jpg

The model kit I used for this build was the excellent Mk3 J 2 (6954)in 1 later release that has the features for doing the early J features.
20220105_215309.jpg

I highly recommend this kit over the earlier release (6394) only because of the extra options. Both kits are very good.
20220105_215348.jpg

The chassis is the standard J (6 series late release) from Dragon with beautiful detail and no flash.
20220327_201822.jpg
20220327_201847.jpg

Dragon has captured the scolloping of the hull and chassis join line that previously had to be added with the 1990's Tamiya L.
20220327_201831.jpg

The Engine deck is also well designed with the ability to choose to model the hatches open - this is the late model deck, which I did not use with this model.
20220327_201716.jpg

Apart from the cat hair, I modelled the engine deck with the cables removed and replaced one with a wire version from Karaya, that wraps over the deck and along the guard. If you compare the layout here with above you can see the differences in hatch sizes and layout.
In the photos below you can see the added wooden box on the right track guard, which I built from a couple of ammunition boxes and the re-arranged wheel stowage and lights. I still need to add the wires once the upper hull is fixed to the chassis. I can't do that until the tracks are painted.
This earlier version does not have the sheet metal, cool air deflector over the rear mufflers.
20220316_231104.jpg

20220316_231053.jpg
20220316_231039.jpg
20220316_231155.jpg

Also added a field applied front bar for the track, as this early J was manufactured before the track bar became standardised. Its not exactly in the middle but that is on purpose, as I wanted it to feel like it had been welded in a field workshop.
20220316_231253.jpg

The turrret has had the unit's unique track holder added to the turret roof as well as the Mig Pzr 3 resin stowage box for a Funk tank. I added the wire handles and the antenna.
20220316_231302.jpg
20220316_231308.jpg

The Kit allows you to have the forward vision ports open at any position, so I did to add another nice difference from my other builds.
20220316_231332.jpg

20211225_170751 (2).jpg

The pic above is from before I finished some details on the guards but the track holder on the roof will be lined up correctly once it is fixed in place. I also replaced the early DML spare wheel shown (at the front) for a later spare I found in my parts bin.
20211129_172306.jpg

20220316_231507.jpg

Still a few minor details to add once the tracks are painted and the upper hull is attached but basically there. I also still need to fill the seam line on the back of the gun mantlet where it joins the turret.
Lastly, I have a Borward kit to add to this scene (which were controlled by the Funk tank) but this was started by me years ago and I am in the process of completing it and a Italieri Goliath remote bomb for the final scene.
20220328_231350.jpg

20220328_231303.jpg

The J 50mm/L60 'Long Barrel(RENAMED TO L in April 1942).
war-machines-maybach-powered-panzer-tanks_3.jpg

So the next J model up for building was the first version to be fitted with the 50mm/ L60 (Long Barrel).
  • Dec '42 the J began to be fitted with the longer 50mm/ L60 gun, which was being made ready for the L version. However in April '42 it was decided to rename these as L models to keep the long gun variant exclusive to the L model. About 50 had been produced by this time.
So technically its an L but it has factory designated J production plates. The shorter 50mm/L42 was produced together with the L60 during this transition period in late '41- early '42.
At the same time the armoured cooling louvers on the engine deck became standard.
The first version of armoured cooling louvers on the engine deck [in the initial horizontal configuration] had been fitted for vehicles being sent to hot climates, like North Africa, since Feb 1941. It was also back fitted to earlier models being sent or already in that theatre of operations.

engine deck early 2.jpg

By December '41 the larger engine hatches and fan covers with vertical louvres became standard (Version 2), however, some factories needed to use the already manufactured parts and some J model 50mm/L60 Tanks were still made with the earlier horizontal armoured louvers and smaller hatches. (Ignore the star ariel at the back of the engine deck as these were only on command vehicles.
engine deck late.jpg

So, the version that I wanted to build to keep variation amongst my models[for my Pzr 3 collection] was one of the first 50mm/L60 tanks.
The early production vehicles still retained the version 1 tropical pattern engine deck, so that was a nice variation to model. Some of these were built for distribution to North Africa but at the last minute were redirected to the Eastern Front to 'top-up losses there with the 'harder hitting' long barrel. A mix of these vehicles were sent to Russia painted in the North African desert brown base color or grey. I am still deciding on the color but most probably I will do a dirty German grey.
I found 2 interesting photos in my panzer 3 books from Peko, showing the same tank from different angles, the first, just as it was being camouflaged with straw and the second as it was completed. I will only do a light straw version as in the photo below, so that I don't hide most of the tank. This is also a tank produced before the track bar across the front lower plate was fitted at the factory (this was ordered as a standard fitting at the factory in November 41), probably due to an already completed chassis but waiting for a turret.
The spare wheel at the front of the left track guard has been moved to fit the toolbox due to the large 'field fitted' box in the centre.
20220403_121347.jpg

The Model
20220105_215348.jpg

I used the earlier 2 in 1 kit from Dragon 6394 - an excellent kit, though a little on the 'pricey' side at present. You can get the RFM version with all the same options plus a full interior for $20 less.
I used my 'donor kit', the Bronco Stug 3D, for the early tropical engine deck and grafted this onto the back of the Dragon upper front hull. I then cut another piece from the late Dragon engine deck for the extended deck and grafted this to the back end. This was fairly easy as the Bronco kit is basically a mixed copy of the very early and late Dragon Panzer 3 kits. I also added the missing rear braces(WHITE PLASTIC) between the upper and lower as the Dragon versions had been cut -off
20211103_124841.jpg

20211103_124902.jpg

Next up were the tracks, which were done in the usual way and assembled with the wheels before attaching the guards. I then painted the base soil color adding soil to the lower hull and track in a patchy pattern, mainly for texture but it serves as a base color as well.
I then attached the front and rear mud flaps and small locking hooks. Dragon give you plenty of track pins, which I utilised in the spare wheels. I used a spare Tamiya jack and fire extinguisher, only because the assembly was simpler and detail just as good and I couldn't be bothered at the time with a small fiddly job.
20220327_202418.jpg
20220327_202438.jpg
20220327_202502.jpg
20220327_202516.jpg
20220327_202336.jpg
20220327_203925.jpg
20220327_202757.jpg
20220327_202731.jpg
20220327_202314.jpg
20220327_202255.jpg

Next was the turret, which I actually completed before doing the mud and attaching the guards.
20211103_124629.jpg

20211103_124725.jpg

20220327_202546.jpg
20220327_202626.jpg
20220327_202601.jpg

20220327_203036.jpg

I also added the spare track bar between the armoured brake covers at the front and built a brass strip holder [accross the front upper hull plate] for more spare track and pins. I then filed the gaps between the joins in the track guards to make them appear more used and worn.
20220327_202955.jpg
20220327_203817.jpg

I then added some model kasten conical bolt heads to the white plastic brace at the rear, between the hull and the mud guard. Tyres were also suitably damaged with wear and tear, as I like to do. These are more damaged than the picture but its all about preferance.
Def Model spare box attached to the front of the left track guard - rear tow pins, headlight and horn wires still to be added.
20220327_202647.jpg
20220327_202744.jpg

The picture below shows another mix which could also happen - an early J L60 model that managed to get a full fitting of Vorpanzer on the upper hull and turret front. It has the cut-out for the right hand vision port in the gun manlet and the side vision ports, which were ordered for deletion from production in January 1942 but were delayed due to already manufactured parts. The turret armour was usually unavailable for many early to mid L models, which were issued with only the frame until armour became available . Alkett and Miag produced some vehicles with full Vorpanzer in the early stages but the turret sheet armour was not widely available until after August/September '42.
VdyBIkbXSIpvDnstmQWjS1nJTCNExi3MSXGFp010t30.jpg

Last edited:
Back