• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Thatch Buffalo

Sometimes the hammer can be most rewarding :evil: :D

lgbbefore.jpg

lgbafter.jpg

Firecrackers work pretty well too.....or so I've heard. :laugh:

Who made that kit Bob. Sounds horrible . Even without pictures :blink

It's Tamiya kit Chris, I picked it up at that last show we went to, where ever that was. I twas actually started but I didn't realize it. Only slightly, one part was sanded badly and I need to fill it in.

Eddy I know, pitiful ain't it? :bang head

I found a pic of the TD instructions, Moon- but it's not that great a pic. It seems there are some rectangular templates shown- are they guides to cutting into the wing? I can see where the sidewalls extend past the wing surface. The real thing had no floor, like a Wildcat- and that greta big window in the bottom of the fuse.

I found a pic of the TD instructions, Moon- but it's not that great a pic. It seems there are some rectangular templates shown- are they guides to cutting into the wing? I can see where the sidewalls extend past the wing surface. The real thing had no floor, like a Wildcat- and that greta big window in the bottom of the fuse.

Can ya post that up here? I've got the 1/48 Tamiya Buffalo in the works (actually buried on the bench) waiting for a paint job... Just trying to visualize Moon's conundrum... :gogo :drinks

F2A-2left.jpg

F2A-2right.jpg

ff7f8f40.jpg

Fighter-F2A.jpg

339Emockupdeck.jpg

BuffaloCockpitundersides.jpg

image001.jpg

You can see the wing box spar that contained a fuel tank. One of the problems with this design was the one-piece wing assembly that made field maintenance rather involved.

Great pics!! Sure woulda liked having them when I had the fuselage still open :bang head

Bob should be alright by sanding the panels up allowing the wing assembly to be attached :good:

Thanks all and I'm sorry for letting this get so out of hand. This has been epic fail but since I got $30 worth of Brewster Buffalo decals in the mail today, we'll have to revisit.

h909d555.jpg

Here's how the panel sits, just like we would think any other install would go right?

Problem is, the wing slips into the cockpit just a bit.

h8e5718e.jpg

As you see here.

h4def878.jpg

I worked some debonder under the resin but since I had thinned the wall so far it doomed this little bird.

So let's chalk this one up for a false start that will be rebooted when I get ahold of another Buffalo or two. Got some real life stuff settled today that's had me preoccupied so I think the bench is going to be busy. :soldier

ahh hell Bob!! :eek:hmy: Easy fix!! use the fuselage as a guide & trim that bad boy!! As for the damage from the debonder
goes, that's what Squadron White putty is for!!
You got this Pup!! :zen :zen :zen :zen :drinks :popcorn

Well y'all gonna half to hold on, just ordered another one. You know me, I got to do two of them to get one good one out.

I'd just go straight oob with the next one Bob. I know in the buffalo I built a few years ago that you really couldn't see much in the cockpit once it was all sealed up anyways. The Tamiya kit itself is a nice build, the only problem area I noticed was the rather flimsy rollover pylon behind the pilot. It has been broken on all three of the Buffaloes I've built.

I think I will Ryan, I do like the seat and some other stuff I got so I'll likely update that stuff. You're so right about the cockpit, I think most of them we fuss over so much are never seen again once completed.

Wow what a trouble you've had ... maybe you'd better fall back on the Doctors excuse ... :rotf ... Better luck on the next one Bob ... :zen :zen :zen :pilot

I think I will Ryan, I do like the seat and some other stuff I got so I'll likely update that stuff. You're so right about the cockpit, I think most of them we fuss over so much are never seen again once completed.

So true Bob :good: But, we as builders know it's in there & wonder what else we coulda, shoulda did to make it look better.... :drinks

Back