• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beech 18 AT11

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in with a Beech 18
100_0175.JPG

Cindy's dad trained as a bombardier in 1942. I have his class book, will pull as much info as I can from it.
Long story short he told me that he got crossed up with a "Yankee" lieutenant and knocked him out. He got busted and didn't graduate, stayed in Texas for the war. I don't think I need to tell you guys that that punch probably saved his life considering the survivability of bomber crews in 1942/43.

Last time I built this kit was in 1:72 scale, I did print out this serial number for the aircraft. The colors on the cowl I painted black and white but I do not think that would be correct.

not sure what kit I have, it's a bag kit, I'll get a shot of it later today. I know the windows on the kit are square and the real ones are round. I really don't think I'll correct that but we'll see.

The 1/48 ICM/Revell kit is a gem. Toss that sucker and get one of them instead! Though neither it not the Battle Axe is the AT-11, I think only Pioneer has done that, in 1/72.

Very cool subject Bob! I hope you are able to tackle it!

I have 1 Battle Axe kit, a French Bloch 174. It is a kit that is going to take a lot of extra work but I think it's doable!

Mine actually had the canopy missing but was able to order a new one from Mach 2 as they acquired the molds from Battle Axe.

Last edited:
If you do take the leap, here is the NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE USAF AT-11 KANSAN fact sheet. It has similar black and white cowls.

Cheers,
RichB
Thanks for that Rich, check the S/N on that one, was build in the same series.
BTW, when I was researching the previous build like 12 years ago I found that the Beech 18 that was used in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" was on the assembly line as this one. The numbers were only like 4 off. The one that Frank Tillman flew through the billboard.

Notice 37440 has the round windows but 37444, post war conversion probably?

Our ol' pal Stoneboat took this on a while back. Correction he did not build the Battle Axe.

Reading through that thread reminds me what a craftsman he is, anyone know what happened to Stoneboat? @Stoneboat

Last edited:
Thanks for that Rich, check the S/N on that one, was build in the same series.
BTW, when I was researching the previous build like 12 years ago I found that the Beech 18 that was used in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" was on the assembly line as this one. The numbers were only like 4 off. The one that Frank Tillman flew through the billboard.

Notice 37440 has the round windows but 37444, post war conversion probably?
I believe just the AT-11 had the porthole windows. It may have been a structural thing with the addition of the bomb bay and upper gun turret/observation dome. The write up for 37444 says the porthole windows were replaced by the standard rectangular Beech 18 windows when it was demilitarized in 1947.

Cheers,
RichB

Looking around, not seeing an AT11 version of the Revelle kit. This thread is close to disappearing. :rotf

On further review, the kit I have is not AT11, doesn't have the bombardier nose. Think I'll be a punting this!

Back