• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya's Jeep Willys MB

The decals don't look as much silvered as they do glossy, so maybe the method you described and then a coat of gloss will tone them down. Follow that up with some dullcote or satin varnish and it will be right as rain. (y)

Thanks Mike, I was inclined to think along the same lines :notworthy

Glossy they are, the photos I took were on the bench with less than ideal light and setup :smack

They will received a coat of Testor's dullcote which I have only started using recently - that stuff totally stinks the whole place up. The lady of the house was suspicious of that smell :stinker and protests loudly when it's being used but I am holding my ground firmly :fencing

Laurence

Minor update (kind of ...)

Under carriage weathered with pigments but still a way to go. Wheels in place (obviously :smack ), the body has received a very faint weathering but that was more like a test for me to see what it looks like. Proper stuff will be done later using Humbrol 72 & 155.
At the front I chose the tow bar option that, according to the instructions, was used for towing vehicles and for linking two jeeps to tow the 105mm mortar. Since this one belongs to an artillery unit, thought it would make sense.

h6f9f2bc.JPG

h917225e.JPG

Thanks,
Laurence

Bam! Think I'm going to be ready for this same treatment tomorrow. :soldier

So what colors were used? :popcorn

Bam! Think I'm going to be ready for this same treatment tomorrow. :soldier

So what colors were used? :popcorn

Primer - Vallejo Grey Primer 74601
OD - Tamiya XF58 (as per instructions)

Pigments - Vallejo Dark and Light Yellow Ochre and Burnt Umber mixed in various proportions to produce different shades - idea was to simulate dry and dryer mud - something like that.

Next - drybrushing with Humbrol 72 & 155, a pin wash with raw umber + rectified turps.

Laurence

Looks excellent.

Ian

Thanks Ian, appreciate it.

Here's the update - for this week. Everything is pretty much in place, all that is left is the weathering and final touches. Have added some stowage from an older tamiya kit, the white straps will be wrapped around the bars and painted.

This is intended to be a vignette - the driver figure comes with the kit in a "sit and drive" position which works out well for what I want to do.

hfb766a9.JPG

h11ccc2d.JPG

h0c1384d.JPG

h4c4d8e7.JPG

Thanks for looking

Laurence

Lookin sweet mate. (y)

Thank you Sir :notworthy

Quite frankly, I was thinking it would turn out a lot worse, my mind has been on a different planet these past few days so, to see that fellow modellers with hell of a lot more skill than me find it of a decent quality, is really special.

Cheers,
Laurence

(y) The jeep is coming together nicely (y)

Curious to see it with the figure done and painted :)

:popcorn

Oh that's fun! Reminds me of the stuff we see from time to time recreating Bill Mauldin's Will and Joe series.

Not being critical, but you might want to straighten his legs like the photo? He might get mistaken for some poor soul who just fell off the wagon. This is a very unique idea and it's been fun to follow. (y)

Not being critical, but you might want to straighten his legs like the photo? He might get mistaken for some poor soul who just fell off the wagon. This is a very unique idea and it's been fun to follow. (y)

You're not critical at all, appreciate the feedback and the compliments from everyone here :notworthy

That's just straight out the sprues sort of speak, there's work to be done on Jack the jack :D

The difference will probably be in clothing, the guy in the original photo is topless and without a helmet. not sure yet how mine will turn out, but I think a jacket will be present - the scene is in the field out there, there's got to be some decency, one can't roam around in France like that :smack

Minor update ...
Looking at photos of the real thing I noticed straps holding the shovel and axe together, missing from the kit. Sticking them to the body with glue doesn't appear to be realistic enough so I added straps and a hook to hold the axe.
The stowage has since change color, it's now a khaki with a raw umber wash. Photos later today. Struggling a bit with the rifle holder, the one on the side (right side as per the kit's instructions) that needs straps as well :vmad

Anyway, here's the pic thanks for watching.

hf47cdef.JPG

Working on straightening the figure's legs (got a new saw B) ) have also noticed that his bum is flat, he was meant to be seated so I have to read the sculpting threads carefully to learn how to get it right :hmmm

Cheers,
Laurence

Back