• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Wespe Finally Finished!

Thank you all for the kind comments! This kit came with ranging poles that have red (or white, depending on your point of view :laugh: )stripes. The poles are connected, so short of cutting them apart, building new brackets, masking the stripes and hoping for the best, I couldn't think of a way to get it done. I decided to bounce it off Chris and he suggested using decals. I thought about that awhile and didn't want to order any and wait for them to show up, so I started digging through my car model stash. In the first box, I came across the old AMT Ice Cycle. Lo and behold, the kit stripe was the perfect width!

IMG_6777.JPG

IMG_6778.JPG

I cut a short length of the stripe and used the width as my new stripe. I applied some Mr Mark Softer to the poles and wrapped the stripe around the pole. This took some patience, as the decal wanted to stick to everything except where I wanted it to go.

Hot_Stuff.jpg

I finally convinced them that being on my model was better than going to the landfill and here's the results.

IMG_6779.JPG

IMG_6780.JPG

A fairly easy fix to a perplexing problem and I didn't even have to make up any new cuss words! :laugh: A big thanks to Christian for the words of wisdom and advice! :notworthy

Until next time. :drinks

One_Eyed_Jacks_Saloon.jpg

Hey Mike those came out really nice ! :)

Now the real question is what was your impression of the Mr. softener ? I have some here but have not tried it yet .

Can't beat decals dude :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

A fully working set of eyeballs would have made things easier, I suspect. :laugh:

Chris, the Mr Mark Softer worked well. It softened the decal so it wrapped around the pole and then I hit it with some Mr Mark Setter. The application brushes in the bottle are pretty large and somewhat stiff, so I will use a clean paint brush next time out.

Thanks for the kind words, my friends! B)

Man, this thread was dusty before, but now it's bone dry! I have made a little progress in the finishing of what supposed to be a quick back in the saddle build. The best laid plans of mice and men, eh? :laugh:

Dot filter (thanks Chuck!)

IMG_6785.JPG

A little white spirits on a brush to melt and blend the oils.

IMG_6786.JPG

Keep blending until you have the effects you want. An overall blending will help fade the colors.

IMG_6787.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG

More dust and dirt from pigments.

IMG_6787.JPG

After letting it dry (about a year :laugh: :coolio )

IMG_7078.JPG

IMG_7079.JPG

I used some pastel chalks and a short stiff brush to add some color here and there.

IMG_7080.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

IMG_7082.JPG

IMG_7083.JPG

There are still a few touches I need to add, modeling time has been scarce around here lately, so I hope it isn't another year between updates. Cheers!

:drinks

WOW Mike!You are back...and with a nasty stinger as well! [sub]Wespe means wasp in German[/sub]

Oils can be a great medium for weathering and you did a superb job with them. (y) :notworthy

Proost! :drinks

Gr,Ron.

It looks good Mike (y) Is it dry yet :idonno

You should place it on a base . You might get a better feel for what it needs ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Every time I read a 'Wespe' build thread, I swear that I'll buy/build this kit and every time I don't.

Love the way this has gone, made the simplest of paint schemes very interesting. Looking forward to what happens next.

Ian.

Back