• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Gloster Meteor F1 + V1 Flying Bomb

Phil

Started this one while waiting for paint to cure on the Ta 154, plus our weather has yeilded strong winds which makes gloss coating impossible - (I spray this outside)

DSC_3282gm.jpg

Kit : Tamiya 1/48 Gloster Meteor F1 + Fieseler Fi103 V-1

Item No : 61065

Model Dimension : Fuselage: 261mm Wingspan:273 mm / V-1 : Fuselage 169mm Wingspan 112mm

Released Date : 1999

Metal parts : Cylindrical nose weight.

The first F1 version released by Tamiya in 1997 had a few incorrect items.

The main problem was the inclusion of airbrakes in the wings which were fitted to the F.3.

The airframe measured by Tamiya is at the museum at RAF Cosford, which is an F1 fitted with F3 wings.

Apparently the airframe suffered an engine fire which destroyed the wing, as a replacement, an F3 wing was fitted.

Tamiya did later revise the kit with the correct wing, without brakes. (1999)

Strangely, the revised wing sprue still includes the air-brakes! which are marked not for use, and the brake cutout in the wing has gone.

Eduard released a Pe set for the F1 meteor in 1997 as well, including the airbrakes !!

This Pe set is the early one, 1997, and not painted, comes with a film negative with the instruments.

Behind this I cut out and glued a white cardboard piece, this shows the instruments so much better.

You can see just how plain the Tamiya pit area is on the instructions , the Pe set has improved it nicely.

DSC_3309m.jpg

I used the kit seat though.

DSC_3512xm.jpg

DSC_3516xm.jpg

DSC_3528xm.jpg

the Pe gear bay walls attached

DSC_3527xm.jpg

DSC_3526xm.jpg

more later.

Very very cool. The pit looks awesome and I'll follow this eagerly. Such a pretty bird the Meteor. (y) (y) (y)
James

Thankyou all,

Just a very small update on this one
Tamiya gives no cannon barrels
DSC3806m1.jpg

so added brass tube (blu tac'd atm)
DSC3805m1.jpg

pit checking which fits fine with the brass tube fitted
DSC3807m1.jpg

DSC3810m1.jpg

:popcorn You have my interest . I love Meteor ! They were part of life as a youngster . :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Looks great Phil!! Are you going to have the plane chasing down the V1? That would be a cool little diorama

Terry B)

Thanks guys,
hey Terry that's a top idea, the aircraft and pilot were credited with the first ever ''wing tip flip'' of a V1 after his guns jammed.

Thanks guys,
hey Terry that's a top idea, the aircraft and pilot were credited with the first ever ''wing tip flip'' of a V1 after his guns jammed.

You know it took guts to do that. :eek:hmy:

B)

here's some progress

first off
fixed as best as i could do
DSC3962m1.jpg

the problems with that bottom wing, red pointers of mass frustration when gluing together, all these areas need to be adjusted! while glue setting!
DSC3962m1b.jpg

The kit engines from Tamiya
DSC3948m1.jpg

I added some lines from stripped computer wires
DSC3964m1.jpg

DSC3953m1.jpg

DSC3954m1.jpg

DSC3955m1.jpg

DSC3960m1.jpg

DSC3965m1.jpg

thank goodness the pit and top cover fits ok!

Gosh Phil, I usually think of Tamiya kits go together quite well. Bad luck, I can see where that would be nerve racking :bang head .

Love those Meteors though. I just hope that my 1/72 scale one goes together more respectably. :S

Cheers, Christian B)

Big jump forward - paint all on now.

DSC_4794p.jpg

DSC_4800p1.jpg

DSC_4804p.jpg

DSC_4805p.jpg

DSC_4806p.jpg

that can cure for a day or two then on to final construction.

Back