• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 scale Fw 190F-9

Thanks for the comments. :cheer:

More painting done...this time the yellow ID markings have been painted on.

h43980f5.JPG

I wonder how much good the field applied mottling on the lower engine cowl actually did, seems like a lot of effort for such little gain in the camouflage effect especially after the yellow cowl band was added. :idonno

h42b4ae6.JPG

h29b8a45.JPG

h4f77817.JPG

Matrixone

Looking really good! I'm taking notes on your finishing techniques - planning to start a 190a6 here very shortly.

Mike
:popcorn

Thanks again guys!

Not so much work done on the F-9 the past day or two aside from adding some paint chipping to a few select areas, the last of the paint chipping will be added around the wing roots after the flat clear coat is on to better represent some fresh paint chipping.

h8e270ce.JPG

h5cfa2cf.JPG

More work has been done on the bomb loading cart and ground crew figures, they are now fully painted and will be getting some weathering and detail painting. The figures will be finished off with oil paints after a coat of Future is sprayed on first.

h05462c0.JPG

hee47166.JPG

hb97219c.JPG

Matrixone

Nice, I like you way for weathering on plane. :good:
But, I'm not sure if LW mechanics wear black overalls (I think it was blue/gray)

Pavel

Pavel,
Your comment about the color of the mechanics overalls had me scrambling through my reference books to check out if I was right or wrong in my color choice on the figures. :hmmm
After looking at a number of color plates in a few of my reference books there was quite a variation in the color of the overalls, there were some that were clearly black but there were also some in the blue/gray color and yet others wore light colored overalls that were either very dirty white or a light brown in color.

One thing I did notice was the mechanics that wore the black overalls had blue/gray caps, so at least one of my ground crew figures will get his cap repainted. :)

After looking at the color pictures of the mechanics I am starting to think the color of overalls might have something to do with rank with the blue/gray being the higher rank.

Matrixone

Unfortunately I cant ask him anymore, but my Dad said the mechanics wore black coveralls. Collectively they were called der Schwartz Mann or the black men. They were treasured by the aircrew and a real part of the team. Thats about the only thing I can bring to this discussion.
James

Maybe this will help?
http://www.luftwaffeairfieldre-enactmentgroup.org.uk/Uniforms___Equipment/uniforms___equipment.html

Here http://www.luftwaffeairfieldre-enactmentgroup.org.uk/Uniforms___Equipment/Other_Ranks/other_ranks.html

James

Thanks for the links James.

A number of times I have read that the Luftwaffe pilots referred to the ground crew as ''black men'' because of the color of their overalls, its good to know that their overalls were sometimes in blue/gray as it would be nice to paint a set of ground crew figures in both colors to add some interest in a diorama.

Matrixone

On the Master box kit with luftwaffe pilots i have it shows Vallejo 816 Luftwaffe uniform, for the mechanics overall.
I think it would look good with a mix, not sure if the colour means something or just depended on time and manufacturer? :idonno

Really like the plane :good:

:popcorn

//Mats

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The ground crew figures have had their overalls dry brushed in a dark gray color to bring out the molded in detail and a coat of Future has been put on them in preparation for the oil painting.

Here are some pictures of the bomb loading cart after some weathering was done on the paint work, I just need to add some dirt to the tire treads and then I can coat the cart with Future and add some weathering with oil paints.

h02b9c15.JPG

h780cdba.JPG

h7c57eac.JPG

hef5dff6.JPG

The paint chipping and rust streaks look overstated here but I remember well from some of my past jobs just how beat up plant equipment like pallet jacks would look...scuff marks and chipped paint were aplenty.

Matrixone

Thanks Terry!

The flat clear coat should tone down the cartoonish looking paint chipping on the bomb loading cart, if not, some careful airbrushing with dark yellow will fix it for sure.

All the decals are now on the Focke-Wulf, a light coat of Future will be sprayed on and after that's dry some pin washes with oil paint will be added for more weathering effects. The prop and spinner are assembled and ready to be put on the model.

h5267dd7.JPG

hb093f32.JPG

The bomb loading cart and figures are ready for the flat clear coat, the gloss makes the figures look like I went crazy with the highlights on their clothing, they are not really that bad. :laugh:

h44fa754.JPG

heaac970.JPG

Matrixone

Back