• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SOHC Powered Mustang AWB From Hot Rod II

Using the time-honored acronym TLAB (That Looks About Right) are we?
I Loves me a Funny Car!!
:popcorn :drinks

After my infusion of Ford karma yesterday, I've made some progress today. First up, ignition wires. I used a resin distributor from MAD (Morgan Automotive Detail), their products really rock! :ro:

IMG_7815.JPG

Looks kinda like Phantom's avatar, huh?

Beaker.jpg

Using the firing order chart, thanks Sherman18!, the wires are routed, shortened and inserted into the drilled valve covers.

IMG_7938.JPG

I've been having trouble seeing seam lines, so I gave the body three good coats of Tamiya Gray primer. There are a couple that need attention, so more primer after this dries overnight.

IMG_7939.JPG

The troublesome valances and the repairs.

IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

Pretty happy with those results, the bumpers hide the goofy gaps.

As I said earlier, there are a lot of missing parts, so I dug out some scratch building supplies and set out to make a fire bottle. This lead foil from Verlinden is cool stuff! Makes excellent straps and stuff.

IMG_7942.JPG

The bottle body is 1/8" styrene rod, rounded and shaped with a sanding stick and my drill and then painted Tamiya Italian Red, The actuator is a common straight pin, the base is Evergreen channel and I added a Detail Masters #1 compression fitting. And away we go!

IMG_7943.JPG

I glued the pieces together with my trusty 3M Quick Dry adhesive (NOT the tacky kind!) and let it dry. The lead foil was cut into strips, wrapped around the bottle and glued on the underside.

IMG_7944.JPG

I trimmed off the excess foil and there you go!

IMG_7945.JPG

Yeah, I know it will not be really visible when installed in the vehicle, but it's absence would be noticed. Coming up, more ignition details. Thanks for checking in.

:drinks

Thanks guys! I got hijacked for a shopping mission today, so no further progress to report. I did place an order for the remaining supplies I need to complete my builds, hopefully that will not slow me down.

Thank you again for the feedback, it's always appreciated!

Really nice scratch building Mike (y)

Now that you mentioned it, my hair did change after a visit to the Model Master webb site :rotf

You're right, in those days we were just happy to have plastic but now we have the internet to voice our discontentment about crummy products :sick:

Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you, my friends! Modeling time has been kind of scarce this weekend, but tried to make the most of it. I have been itching to try a new technique a friend uses to spice up a kit radiator. The stock part..

IMG_7962.JPG

Cut off the upper tank with a razor saw.

IMG_7963.JPG

The tank needs some cleanup and a filler neck installed.

IMG_7964.JPG

I used a piece of aluminum tube for the filler neck and glued everything together. I did not take SBS photos, I will explain the process further in another post. A couple pieces of styrene angle and some "hex bolts" made from styrene hex rod round things out.

IMG_7965.JPG

You can see through the radiator, kind of cool. I think I'll add another layer of mesh on the next one I make.

IMG_7966.JPG

That's about all to report today, lots of parts in the drying stage, not very interesting. More next weekend for sure!

Thank you my friends! Here's a quick update, I squeezed in some bench time between putting up Christmas decorations and finishing my Fiat. The Mustang's interior was scrub sanded with coarse sandpaper to give it that textured aluminum look and shot with Tamiya Silver Leaf. The other details were installed and we're almost ready to install it. Looks like I need to touch up the seat belts a little. :blush:

IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

Much more to come, thanks for dropping by.

Back