• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Some of my old builds from years back

Phil

Wow there are some really top builds here on MA and this site is huge!

Thought Id share some of my early work on autos, these were sprayed with automotive rattle cans, touch-up paint long before I bought an airbrush.
The finish was very hit and miss! as the paint didn't behave all that well.

All these sprayed with the auto paint were primed - with auto primer, rattle cans again.

First off this is Monograms 1/8th 32 Ford
I added some scrap velour material for carpet.

I also have Monograms 1/8th Golden T.
This kit had a problem with the gold plating on allot of parts for one side, I wrote to Monogram( no internet then!!)

asking if they could sent me replacement parts,imagine my surprise when opening a package that arrived some time

later, they did not send the replacement parts for the one side, they sent the complete plated parts that were in

the kit plus two replacement rear rubber tyres.

So the large rear rims and the tyres from the T were used on the 32 Ford giving it a more Hot Rod look, you can
see the misplaced gold on the rear rim. (Al-clad time??!!)

Searching the web I found this! the actual box of the kit.
If you spot the year of manufacture you can work out how long I've had this kit built.
All held together with Ca glue.
http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/monogram-3/monogram-32-ford-st/

So here we go, hope you enjoy.

Tamiya paint bottle for size ref
DSC3201.jpg

DSC3202.jpg

DSC3203.jpg

I added some scrap velour material for carpet
DSC3204.jpg

It even has Moon Puppy's foot size.........!!! :mpup
DSC3204b.jpg

opening boot, added some black vinyl for a boot mat
DSC3205.jpg

DSC3206.jpg

The doors open by the door handles
Red interior door panels/seats brush painted with humbrol enamels, no Future back in those days!
DSC3207.jpg

DSC3208.jpg

and where she sits today
DSC3209b.jpg

The Monogram 1/8th Golden T
Built shortly after the 32 Ford
Gold seat inserts and brown seat interior side panels brush painted with Humbrol enamels.
Again exterior brown automotive rattle can touch up paint

Those are the original Monogram gold pin striping decals still good today.
DSCtb01.jpg

DSC_0097a.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

Firebird - Monogram I can't remember what scale this is, but it's 25''long and 9'' wide I thought 1/12th but the
next two are 1/12th ( I think!) at aprox 16'' long x 6'' wide.

DSCta002.jpg

where she sits - taking over the wife's display cabinet!
DSCta017.jpg

same as before auto prime and touch-up paint.
The decal is still as good as the day I put them on. The hood has warped probably from our hot summer heat
DSCta015.jpg

DSCta016.jpg

DSCta014.jpg

DSCta003.jpg

DSCta004.jpg

DSCta005.jpg

Humbrol brush painted Gold/brown and interior pin striping.
brown velour scrap material this time for carpeting
DSCta006.jpg

DSCta007.jpg

Monogram made nice mirrors on the kit
DSCta008.jpg

DSCta009b.jpg

DSCta009.jpg

DSCta010.jpg

I know - it should have GM Orange engine block - !!
DSCta011.jpg

brush painted humbrol enamels
DSCta012.jpg

the tail lights were cast in a smoky brown clear plastic. I painted the red inside
to try to give a glassy look.
DSCta013.jpg

This is Monograms 1/12th 57 Chevy 3 in one kit, street stock or strip, I built as street custom.
You can plainly see the bad early plating!
Same painting method as the others
DSCx5501.jpg

I made the dice from some sort of putty! drilled the holes and painted them
DSCx5502.jpg

DSCx5503.jpg

DSCx5504.jpg

the eyes were good and hands steady back then :laugh: - painted instruments and gauges.
DSCx5505.jpg

DSCx5506.jpg

DSCx5507.jpg

Monogram 1/12 69 Z28 3 in one - I even remember the box!
http://www.philshobbyshop.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=RMX852810

Street custom - same paint methods
DSCz2801.jpg

DSCz2802.jpg

DSCz2803.jpg

DSCz2804.jpg

DSCz2805.jpg

DSCz2806.jpg

DSCz2807.jpg

DSCz2808.jpg

Lives on the same shelf in the wife's display cabinet opposite the 55 Chevy.......

Hope you enjoyed my blast from the past

I really enjoyed that- i don't build cars, but I'm finishing a race car for my brother in law. This makes me want to pick up something new like a Lamborghini or an Indy car. great work.

I had to re read- i didn't realize the scale of these! I'm 48, I very well remember the golden age when model subjects were not as specialized as today. Those car boxes where HUGE!

Did you build any of the big motorcycles then? I DIDN'T- if the model gods keep smiling on me I may luck out and find one at a yard sale. Great work.

Thanks, yes I did build two, Honda 750 and a racing bike version, don't ask me the scale or manufacturer!!!still have them boxed up but the poor things are in bad shape

Thanks, yes I did build two, Honda 750 and a racing bike version, don't ask me the scale or manufacturer!!!still have them boxed up but the poor things are in bad shape

When they were out- i really liked the 'CHIPS' bike and that Sportster or whatever it was from Then Came Bronson, but like I said, I never picked one up- i think they were mostly in 1/6 or 1/12 scale. HUGE!

Great looking stuff, Phil! There's three or four 1/8 scale Monogram kits in my stash, just no place for me to build them or display the finished product! (y)

That Trans Am looks like Monogram's 1/8 scale 1979 Trans AM Turbo from 1980:
Monogram%202605%20TransAmVG.JPG

Monogram%202611%20Trans%20Am.JPG

Different boxings of the same kit.

Nicely done models and definitely worth fixing that hood!

Did you ever get the IROC-Z Camaro?
IROC_Camaro1.JPG

Regards,

kryptosdaddy - they were a big size and detailed to the max, the chain link construction is never forgotten though!!!!!

Iron Mike - I enjoyed the builds of those 1/8 kits, if you ever do get the bug I'm sure you will enjoy!
Great stash additions!

Saul - The top pic looks like the one, flat hood and the turbo version, removable targa glass tops, and the rims match!
well done you have tracked my version down!

2nd box has different rims, hood bulge with a round air cleaner under hood.

No did not get the Iroc. it does seem familiar!!

Cheers all!

Back