• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SOHC Powered Mustang AWB From Hot Rod II

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
As long as I'm in auto mode, here's one I intended to do for Hot Rod II, the AMT AWB Mustang kit. Got some tricks up my sleeve for this pretty plain Jane kit, so sit down, buckle up and hang on!

IMG_7631.JPG

IMG_7632.JPG

IMG_7633.JPG

IMG_7634.JPG

:ro:

:drinks

Last edited:
Oh man can't wait to see what you do Mike. :drool

Mine fizzled out when I was not in the mood to scratch a new frame so it would match the H&M built cars :unsure:

:popcorn

Thanks, guys! This is going to be a fairly quick build (I hope), just planning to add some of the details left out of the original kit and correct a few of the glossed over spots as well. One of the first things I always try to get out of the way is the body and paint, I learned the hard way the there's no point to building all the chassis, engines and interiors if you FUBAR the paint. SO, I sanded seam lines and mold marks most of the afternoon. :frantic Not a very exciting update, but a necessary evil none the less. I also took the time to open the kit grille, I feel that adds much needed realism to the front end. Here's how I do it...

The kit part

IMG_7635.JPG

I then use the Dremel with a sanding drum to knock off the thickness of the grille (be easy with it)

IMG_7636.JPG

When you start seeing holes open up, switch to a coarse file or sanding stick and open 'er up.

IMG_7638.JPG

I finish sand mine to get rid of the file marks and scratches, makes it easier to paint later.

Should start looking like this pretty quick.

IMG_7639.JPG

Best of all, you'll be able to see the radiator through the grille when you're done.

IMG_7641.JPG

More fun to come, keep checking back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjZCtMg_j04

Thank you to all for commenting, I always appreciate the feedback! This build got shuffled to the back burner while I was working on the Double Dragsters, but I'm at a stopping point on them and dug this back out.

The kit is an A-bomb kind of fit, just get it close or so it seems. There are so many missing pieces and parts that don't fit, it sort of causes one to wonder why am I doing this? :rotf Here's an example...

The rear valance sort of hangs off the license plate, the ends don't touch the quarters. :blink

IMG_7807.JPG

IMG_7808.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG

I cemented the valance to the license plate, then "welded" a section of 1/16" styrene rod to the seam.

IMG_7810.JPG

After letting this dry several hours, I broke out the coarse grit sanding stick and smoothed everything down. Looks like the bumper covers the goofy gap and a little primer and filler will make it all go away. B)

IMG_7811.JPG

IMG_7812.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG

While the patch was drying, I painted parts and assembled the engine. I made some oil fillers for the valve covers during my last session, but damned if I can find them now. Son of a nutcracker! Guess I'll make another set so the originals will turn up. :rotf

Engine photos later. Thanks for coming by.

Thanks guys! Chris and I were discussing the sadistic dichotomy that were model companies in the 60's, they built model kits, but didn't bother to see if the parts fit. :blink You'd think maybe that would have been a priority, but I guess their customers were a bunch of kids, who was going to complain? :rotf

Making progress on this one, pictures later today. B)

Back