• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Smer 1/72 LeO 451... Finished!

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Thanks everyone!

Bob, this aircraft had a retractable gondola that had a rearward firing machine gun. I gather it was along the same idea of the old "dustbin" gondola on the early he 111. The upper 20 mm cannon had a retractable wind guard as well. Guess it made the plane more streamlined if it had to run!

Got the inner upgrades finished.

Also took a bit of time to scribe and rivet the wings and body. Should be bale to get some paint on and the fuse together next time.

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

hey that thing is neat - the tail looks like it is upside down

Found out why the tailfins are upside down, according ti Wilipedia:

The LeO 451 was conceived as an advanced medium bomber for the new French Air Force. In contrast to its predecessors, which relied on machine guns for protection, the emphasis was placed on high-speed high-altitude cruise. The expectation was that high speed would force enemy fighters into tail-chase attacks and to that effect the aircraft was designed with a rear-firing cannon with an unobstructed rear arc of fire thanks to the twin rudders.

I totally get that. You would be a woefully unpopular crew mwmber if you shot away your own planes rudders in flight :blush:

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Thanks for the tip iambrb! I guess that 20 mm was something you wanted to stay clear of!

Got some more done on this today.

Finished up and weathered the interior slightly

For the side windows in the nose, I cut them down some. All of these small windows suffer from dimples. Not the greatest but I'll use these ones

The little side windows I am using Micro Crystal Clear

Next on to the gear. I thought these wheels looked a little on the thin side.

So I broke out the razor saw and cut them in half

Then sandwiched a few sheets of styrene between them. 1 for the material removed from the cut and 2 to widen the wheel

Then I just trimmed and sanded the wheel and filled any spaces with putty.

I think this looks better

Then I painted the bays

and assembled the wings and gear. The instructions call to assemble the gear before assembling the wings. They are quite complex for this little kit, 11 pieces making up each gear. I am sure it could be modified to add later but this is simpler for me at the moment

The flaps need quite a bit of material removed so that they sit flush with the rest of the wing

So now I have the fuse and two wings assembled. Have some more scribing to do on the body before I can attach the wings though!

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Wow , this thing is brutal :bang head Still, the way I remember French cars :soldier

Good job Warren . Stick with it (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Wow , this thing is brutal Still, the way I remember French cars

Cheers, Christian

So you're saying the fit is about the same as a early 1970's Renault ?? - Yeah I can see that. Keep at it Warren, you're doing a great job, friend.

Ian.

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Cheers, Christian

So you're saying the fit is about the same as a early 1970's Renault ?? - Yeah I can see that. Keep at it Warren, you're doing a great job, friend.

Ian.

The fit is actually really good, considering the molds were made in the 60's I believe!

Thanks Ian!

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Cheers, Christian

Ian.

I could not specify a year, but from my time in repairing foreign auto's the French cars were near impossible. I would not even specify a brand either . We had some Citroens as well.
They also corroded at a phenomenal rate as compared to others . Perhaps they were not meant to be kept.

Drove good while they ran.... :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Cheers, Christian

Ian.

The fit is actually really good, considering the molds were made in the 60's I believe!

Thanks Ian!

In their behalf, I must say that I still have many Heller kits on display .

Not only did they do aircraft not otherwise produced but back in their day they were excellent . Don't remember having any real problems .

Cheers, Christian B)

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Your doing a great Job Warren ... love all your repairs and corrections ... looking Top notch ... (y) :pilot :good:

Smer 1/72 LeO 451

Thanks guys!

Little more progress on this one just to show I haven't stalled on it completely!

Got the wings on and the rest of the riveting and scribing done. Just working on a little sand and fill at the moment.

More soon!

Back