• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re:Something really different Update August 9, 2010

Bob

The marble tiles are excellent. Easy to understand SBS too, i'll be trying that sometime no doubt.

Gails fave band are the Stones :peace , iv'e been listening to "Sticky Fingers" all week it's a classic!

Keep up the phenominal work rate Bob, you could build the whole road if your gonna be around 'till your 114 ;)

Ant

Thanks Ant!

She definitely loves the Stones!

Let's see, do 114 year olds still have the ability to see? Do their fingers still work? If I got that far, I could claim the title of the oldest modeler alive! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Bob

TREEMENDUS wrote:
Bob

Gails fave band are the Stones :peace , iv'e been listening to "Sticky Fingers" all week it's a classic!

Keep up the phenominal work rate Bob, you could build the whole road if your gonna be around 'till your 114 ;)

Ant

Ant:

Yes, the Stones are the best...particularly back when Brian Jones was alive and kicking. I was just 6 when he died but I can appreciate great 60s music!

I have every intention of my father being around until 114. If the Stones can rock it at their ages in a worldwide sellout tour after all the drugs they did, Poppy can surely be around another 40-odd years to put out a few more dios!

NyteScrybe wrote:
TREEMENDUS wrote:
Bob

Ant

Ant:

Yes, the Stones are the best...particularly back when Brian Jones was alive and kicking. I was just 6 when he died but I can appreciate great 60s music!

I have every intention of my father being around until 114. If the Stones can rock it at their ages in a worldwide sellout tour after all the drugs they did, Poppy can surely be around another 40-odd years to put out a few more dios!

I'll drink to that :drink

Impressive work Bob!! As always I'm a big fan of your work but this is something realy special!!

Erik

Hey Erik,

Glad you are back! I was wondering where you were!

Yes it is special, especially for me. This one is definitely a labor of love. I have done quite a bit more but have been busy and haven't had time to process the pics and post, I will soon!

Good to see you posting again!

Bob

after a long absence i decided to go through the posts one by one and this is one of the first.BOB if there is anything i mean anything i can do to help just yell out like a good s.m. and i will oblige.

Thanks Alex!

I appreciate the offer! The same to you from me! Glad to have you back!

I put the big one on hold until I finish this one, a birthday present for my daughter and it must be done by December first!

Bob

Hi Bob!

...you really just made my day,here,on these Antartic Frozen Lands...I´m watching this thread a hour ago...and belive me...I´m shocked with the results of you job...simply amazing!...the marble effects are stuning!...a true modelling lesson for all of us...thanks for sharing!

Best regards for you and your family!

Luiz,from Antartic Frozen Lands ... until November/2010...I hope so!

Hi Luiz!

Thanks! I've been complaining for months about the heat this summer. I can't even imagine what that must be like down there! I think I would prefer the heat!

Keep warm till November! I guess there is not much to do there but model? right?

Bob

Re:Something really different Update Sept. 15, 2010

Well, I finally am posting an update! My life has been a zoo lately. Must be something in the stars, we haven't had so many visitors in years and many more to come!

Anyway, I have been working on that sunroom. Nearing finishing it except for the furniture. It has been kinda tedious with the slanted wood walls and the marble tile. This is the railing just finished. a top rail was added and then after painting, glass panels were added into the rectangular spaces.

CIMG1789.jpg

This will be the deck area on the third floor. It looks weird now but will come together later when walls and sliding glass doors are added along with railing and deck furniture.

CIMG1792.jpg

Here you can see all three floors. The floors that meet the atrium will have railings that will match the stair railing.

CIMG1796.jpg

This was taken through one of the windows that will enable viewing from outside when the lights are operating.

CIMG1795.jpg

Ditto. The fireplace will include a circuit that will make the orang and yellow bulbs flash alternately. I will gather some twigs and place them on the andirons after burning them and getting all the effects right.

CIMG1793.jpg

A shot from above with the roof removed.

CIMG1791.jpg

Another angle.

CIMG1790.jpg

I'm gonna have to get moving to get this finished by the December deadline!

Bob

Is it real or memorex? remember that comercial? Ok I just gave away my age. Bob that is amazing. It is simply stunning.

it looks so easy what you are doing bob but in fact it's so difficult to do!

when i look at your cardboard buildings and then at my very first try to scratch from cardboard i want to jump into a deep, deep hole and hide until the end of the century!

long talking, short meaning: that's killer looking!

modelguru wrote:
Is it real or memorex? remember that comercial? Ok I just gave away my age. Bob that is amazing. It is simply stunning.

Hey Chris,

Of course I remember that! I doubt if anyone on T & T could post anything from first hand experience that I couldn't remember!

Thanks, Bob

Kreighshoer wrote:
it looks so easy what you are doing bob but in fact it's so difficult to do!

when i look at your cardboard buildings and then at my very first try to scratch from cardboard i want to jump into a deep, deep hole and hide until the end of the century!

long talking, short meaning: that's killer looking!

Laura,

You actually tried my cardboard buildings? I didn't know that, you'll have to tell me what went wrong and maybe I can give you some tips! I would say it isn't easy, but I think anybody could do it. Like everything else, practice!

Thanks, this part is sort of dragging out and taking a long time! I gotta work harder!!

Bob

Something really different Update Sept. 20, 2010

I managed to get quite a bit done over the weekend. I am scrambling to find scale furnishings. Hardly anything in military miniatures that is usable. Had to scratch a lot and convert some 1/2 scale doll house stuff. The sunroom will have a pool table, sofa and chairs around the fireplace and a table and chairs plus a piano and guitar. All the paintings are from photos I took of real paintings I have in the house, the central piece in the sunroom above the stairs is "Lincoln" by Salvatore Dali. I just use photoshop to miniaturize them, frame them and attach to the walls.

CIMG1823.jpg

The pool table could have easily been scratchbuilt, but I am on a deadline and converting one from a doll house item was easier. First, the legs were too long, I cut them off and added new ones, then removed the thin felt top, reworked the table itself and gave it a new coat of flesh colored base so later I can paint in the lighter color of wood to match the other woods in the room.

CIMG1739.jpg

The very thin white styrene piece will become the "Felt" of the new table.

[
CIMG1738.jpg

These are shots of the table with new legs, new finish and new felt top. I found some tiny beads to use as the balls. The ones that came with the table were about 1/20 scale and had to be replaced. Since it is a mansion, I used Photo etched brass trim to "enhance" it! Note the wood now matches the other wood in the room.

CIMG1811.jpg

CIMG1811.jpg

I had to make a ton of railing and make it all match. I used strip Evergreen and some Techstar tubing for the top rail. The "Glass" inserts between the rails were cut from heavy clear plastic sheet.

CIMG1808.jpg

CIMG1799.jpg

CIMG1822-1.jpg

A little out of focus due to depth of field, but showing the railing on the stairs.

CIMG1807~0.jpg

In focus and you can see the railing clearly.

CIMG1822-1.jpg

Here are the doors, the piano, the table base, it will have a glass top, the piano bench and the guitar.

CIMG1797.jpg

This is the circuit that controls the fireplace lighting. It has a selective impedance control that will magnify the intensity and the flash rate of the lights imbedded underneath. See below.

CIMG1804.jpg

Again, a depth of field out of focus, but if you look closely, you will see the two lamps that will simulate the fire in the fireplace.

CIMG1805.jpg

This is a resin Chianti bottle cut down to be a vase. It will be on the glass top table with miniature flowers. You can buy these at Michael's or elsewhere. They are miniature flowers and will work well in the vase.

CIMG1812.jpg

CIMG1816.jpg

This is all the items I have acquired to use in the bedroom that will be visible from the exterior. I have used Camouflage Grey, a subdued color that is so much more effective than the glaring white.I had to use a razor saw to cut the opening in the fireplace. I will add the brick ash pit later.

CIMG1818.jpg

Here are the converted deck chairs that I have painted black to go on the rear deck.

CIMG1820.jpg

These are the interior walls that will back up to the deck. The continuing slanted wall motif carries onto the third floor deck.

CIMG1824.jpg

Here you can see the railing that is consistent all the way to the third deck.

CIMG1822.jpg

The round white/gray carpet in front of the fireplace will hold the sofa and chairs placed later.

CIMG1822.jpg

The frontal overall shot of the sunroom.BTW, if you notice some elements aren't true or square, that is because they are all just setting there and haven't been affixed as yet.

More later!

Bob

[
CIMG1827.jpg

Re:Something really different Update Sept. 20, 2010

Bob there is a wild kind of craziness going on here. Not sure if you need a rubber room or just a straight jacket. Please do not stop, I'm loving it! :silly:

Re:Something really different Update Sept. 20, 2010

Hey John,

I've spent my entire life in a rubber room! Where have you been? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Bob

Back