• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SdKfz 251/17 Ausf. C. Luftwaffe

I found with my AFV M18 I had to make drill placement holes a slight bit bigger as the fit was too tight.

It might be theyr way of forcing you to dry fit
:popcorn

Maybe so Dave, it's taught me not to assume because I had to drill at some odd angles. Got to be more careful moving forward or something is going to be outa whack.

With the M18's Roadwheels I accidently fitted the sprocket a bit wrong and the fit was so tight I had to cut it of and make new hole and pin.

The M18 ended up beeing my favourite build because It had so much detail but also I learned a lot about how to model the right way and not assume a part is in the right place etc.

I got a couple of questions and yes I'm too lazy and busy to google it.

The interior of this thing, I'm assuming it would be Panzer Grey as well as the outside since it's opened top, would that be correct?

There are two mounts for MP40 stowage, and right beside them looks to be magazine pouches like what the troops wore on their belts. Would that be leather or something else, what color were these? Thanks....:popcorn

Oh and primer on this vehicle would be that Red primer right?

Panzer grey inside and out. Primer was not always red. Early primer could be off white or olive green. Completly inclosed areas of say tanks were painted a off white, but halftracks and such were painted the exterior color. During the transition between grey and dark yellow many older vehicles were dark yellow on the outside and original grey on the inside. The ammo pouches could be brown or black.

B)

IIRC, from the Ausf C on, interior colour matched the exterior colour. Earlier models often had the drivers compartment forward painted ivory. If the vehicle came from the factory in overall Dunkelgrau with field applied Dunkelgelb/Dunkelgrun/Rot Brun camouflage then the interior would very likely remain Dunkelgrau.

Red oxide is the usual primer color.

The MP40 pouches usually supplied with vehicles were the 6 magazine type with D-rings on the back for a crossbody sling and wasn't designed to fit the Y-strap and belt. They were made of heavy canvas and colours ranged from dark grey, field grey, greens, tan to the nautral colour of the canvas. The fastening straps for the flap could be canvas or leather.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich, going with the Grey on the interior with some red primer chipping. Thought I would swap up the pouches to make it a little interesting.

I"m making progress. Been trying to get these images upload for the last two days :frantic (great emoticon)

hf9adb85.jpg

nice focus on the paint bottle don't ya think?
:facepalm
heb818bc.jpg

German Grey, Vallejo Dark Grey wash, a bit of gunmetal dry brush over the treadplate and some "British Crimson" for the primer, might be too dark. Whatcha think?

Wow almost missed this one! you are building models to Bob? not just fixing computers :D

I think it looks great, with some dusting it will lighten up a little :good:

//Mats

DUST! That's what's missing, thanks Mats. :soldier

Yeah I get a little time here and there, trying not to rush.

I know I know...I got three pictures I haven't had time to upload, buy the time I get them I'll have another update. :rotf

I"m making progress. Been trying to get these images upload for the last two days :frantic (great emoticon)

hf9adb85.jpg

nice focus on the paint bottle don't ya think?
:facepalm
heb818bc.jpg

German Grey, Vallejo Dark Grey wash, a bit of gunmetal dry brush over the treadplate and some "British Crimson" for the primer, might be too dark. Whatcha think?

Careful there Moon, while working on my Schwimmwagen I'm finding that I need to keep lightening the grey
so it doesn't look like a big black blob. Can always go back and darken it later...

HTH, Tom

Back