• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RyeField M4A3 E8 Sherman with Interior

mike walsh

Master at Arms
Hello Everyone,

I would like to share with you another build. Yes, I did say another build in between the Takom King Tiger, Russian dioramas and the Italerie Schnellboot.

Ryefield's release of the M4A3 E8 Sherman with Interior was a big favorite of mine and there was a huge desire to build the kit somehow during the builds above. :rolleyes:

So with a week of leave here is the build stage now.

Make note Ryefields instructions are a little out of sink and I pretty much started with the lower Hull and worked up.

Not sure of the crew at the moment as there is a significant number of Tank crews to choose from in the spares box.

Hope you like what you see.

This will give you the insight to an extremely well designed kit. There are not many build blogs around on the interwebs on this kit at the moment so here is one.

Ryefield M4a3 e8 with interior.jpg

Sherman reference.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Upper hull.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Upper hull 2.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Interior 3.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Interior 4.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Engine bay 1.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Engine bay 2.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Interior 1.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Interior 2.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Transmission 1.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Transmission 2.jpg

Ryefield Sherman v8 engine 1.jpg

Ryefield Sherman v8 engine 2.jpg

Ryefield Sherman v8 engine 3.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Interior 5.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Interior 6.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Interior 7.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Running gear 1.jpg

Ryefield Sherman Running gear 2.jpg

Turret Base 2.jpg

Turret Base 3.jpg

Turret base 1.jpg

Sherman Radio 1.jpg

Turret Roof 1.jpg

Turret Roof 3.jpg

Turret wall 1.jpg

Turret wall 3.jpg

Turret floor 1.jpg

Turret floor 2.jpg

Turret Floor 3.jpg

coax 2.jpg

Coax MG 1.jpg

Gun assembly 1.jpg

Gun assembly 2.jpg

Gun assembly 3.jpg

Michael :Drinks: :D

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

It's been a long time between drinks building a Sherman and this kit is by far the most intricately detailed plastic Sherman's released into the market.

Well worth the money. Still have 1 unbuilt.:vgood:
Picked up 2 Ryefield Panzer 4's with interiors and they are as equally wicked in detail.:devil:👍

Michael:Drinks:

Thank you for your comments Guys.

One word of caution with this Kit is to check the clear plastic glass sections that fit into the Commanders hatch.

Page 36 Take care and test fit the parts for the commanders hatch with the 6x (Part No T8) pieces of clear plastic to fit in between C51 and C52
I had a lot of trouble in this area. The T8 clear plastic pieces interfere with the upper and lower sections of the commanders hatch preventing them to be glued together.

One thing of note is that this kit (RM-5042) is simply the RM-5048 Kit with an interior there are no images on Ryefields site only the Cad images of the (RM-5042) kit.

When looking around on the net of the built images of the RM-5048 kit over here the clear glass pieces are missing in the commanders hatch.
https://imodeler.com/2019/05/new-easy-eight-sherman-from-rye-field-model/
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/05/its-official-2019-is-year-of-sherman.html

Interesting? :hmm: :hmm:

Guys I'm just placing it out there to be careful of this section.

Michael:Drinks:

Thanks for the heads up Mike!

Manufacturers sometimes miss things. Or the thought train works in weird ways. On my ZM Horton there is this super complex frame in the center section, and I DO mean super complex. In looking through the instructions I changed the assembly order and did a few other things to help Jig and align the parts better. There are 15 major and minor parts that align between the top and bottom frame components. They would have it assemble without using the top frame to align the parts. I completely changed the assembly order to use the top frame to align things. Everything fit beautifully, but the alignment of the parts if not done exactly right could toast the build.

Thanks Mike ,

Have got in the habit of building them and then placing them back in the box then swing over to go another subject.

Michael.

Back