• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Romanian TAB-77 based on Trumpeter's BTR 70

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
This is my entry for this campaign.

Trumpeter's BTR 70 early version in 1/35th is the base for my Romanian TAB - 77, of which I had the pleasure to see when I was in the army. On top of that, we got to fire the 14.5mm and 7.62mm machine guns at the firing range. No ear protection :vmad :vmad :vmad

Anyway, starting pic

had921ab.JPG

A zoomed in version so the time can be seen

h3498dd5.JPG

One of the reference pics. This was taken post 1990, but still the same machine.

h7d8479a.jpg

Fundamentally exactly the same as the Russian BTR 70, even the engine. However, all of it was made in Romania, some components manufactured under licence.

Thanks for looking, I intend to post some progress pics soon.

Laurence

This will be interesting to watch. So no difference between the BTR-70 and the TAB-77? Where will you source markings? Do you have some more examples?
James

This will be interesting to watch. So no difference between the BTR-70 and the TAB-77? Where will you source markings? Do you have some more examples?
James

Hey James,

The main difference between the early BTR 70 and the TAB 77 was the engines. The Russians used two gasoline engines, the Romanians had two Saviem Diesel engines. When I said that even the engines were the same, I was referring to a later model of the BTR, that had been manufactured in Romania under licence and were exported to Democratic Germany under the designation of SPW 70.

Check this out for more details

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1096.html

Haven't figured out a source for the markings just yet, that will happen soon.

At the moment I am working on sourcing two 6 cyl. engines, I want to superdetail this baby, it might take a while, but worth it I hope.

Look at this engine hatch for example

hdc18b30.JPG

Cheers,

Laurence

Just found some markings for a T-55 http://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-decals-stickers-star-decals-star-35-924

8c7bb17d73a83d627c6e1a5ee57352d6.image.282x400.jpg

Would do for the roundels. Numbers may be a bit harder. Not sure about the engine.
Watching with interest :popcorn
James

Bit of an update. Working on the engine compartment. Needed two engines, 6 cyl. line Diesel that is. Had to canibalise some older kits for a lot of stuff, well, good luck finding a Diesel engine. Wasn't about to destroy my tractor, so a conversion should do. An older GMC CCKW volunteered its' engine for the operation, the other one comes from a kit that I haven't started yet.
The two big air filters come from an older Tamiya stash of stuff that I have in small boxes everywhere, plus hoses, brackets, PE, you name it. The opening panels on top the engine compartment will be open, need to scratch all the bits and pieces there.

I cut the rear panel into three. Two doors that will be open, and a fixed panel that is where you can see the open hatch showing the propeller. Propeller is almost done, used a radiator fan as a source, scratched some wider blades. Unlike the TAB 71 (BTR60), the TAB77's propeller would also do the steering.

Started the top fans enclosures, these were meant to provide ventilation to the radiators, but they are at a 90deg angle, above the radiators. Sketch attached, thank God for online translation services.

Well, enough talk, let's see some photos.

The section with the radiators and heat exchangers

h378821d.JPG

Fan enclosure to the left, engine area to the right. Two styrene pieces will support the floor.

h7c7c634.JPG

Some of the other components - the engines, panels, PE parts etc

h2c24eb6.JPG

Suspension on the lower hull, nearly done.

hcbaaf8b.JPG

Interior - work in progress. More details to be added, perhaps even a working light to help seeing stuff through the hatches.

hcfdd3aa.JPG

As for the decals, I discovered that the 1/72 Romanian decals I got for my Grandad vignette are actually perfect , the roundels I mean. They are from RB productions, perfect colour match, especially for the yellow. As far as I can remember, there were numbers painted on the side, near the turret, I should be able to find some white decals for that, otherwise I'll stencil them.

Thank you for that James, BNA is my preferred online supplier. Huge range of everything, really good customer service.

Everyone, thank you for watching.

Laurence

Thank you Gents :notworthy

Bit more work done, exclusively in the engine area.

The two engines have been detailed, not yet super detailed, that will follow shortly.

h0af9a28.JPG

Another angle

h71a56de.JPG

The housing of the jet propulsion and steering system and the propeller.

h2e67c5a.JPG

Dryfitting a few things here, the top, the three engine hatches and the prop.

hcddc7be.JPG

And the hatches, few more things need to be added.

h7150937.JPG

The top with the two radiators. This requires a lot more work. On the side, you can see one of the hoses leading to the air filter that was used to get air inside the main compartment.

h1ce5c83.JPG

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Back