• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Romanian ARO M461 based on Bronco's Gaz 69 1/35th

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Proud to contribute to such a worthy cause. I would love to build two models, but let's start with this one.

The Romanian made ARO M461 has a long history. Initially, the factory produced a motorcycle, then they started making the IMS-57, a design based on the Gaz 69. All panels were handmade, I read a story from one of the workers saying that, the first panels they produced, the ones covering the front wheels, were not exactly the same because they had been made using nothing but a hammer. Later on they acquired the machinery they needed :D

Anyway, from the IMS-57, they moved onto making an improved version called M59. Produced from 1957 to 1964, bigger engine, better speed, even electric wipers (y)

Long story short, here comes the Aro M461 in 1964. This was a much better car, produced from 1964 until 1975 Over 80,000 cars were produced in 11 years, over 40,000 exported to other countries. Colombia and China some of the main recipients of these cars.

The car won some international competitions, in Belgium and the US in the 1970's, some 3,000 of them are still roadworthy in Romania. There is a very active club of proud owners too.

I remember them very well, they were omnipresent on the roads when I was a kid and even much later on. In the 1990's and later, every time I saw one on the road, that put a smile on my face.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to present this little mechanical gem. Here we go, starting pic

h0840f81.JPG

Recent photo of a very familiar sight - the M461 feeling at home in the snow :D

h669f1fe.jpg

One more, an M461 disembarking from a Romanian Air Force Mi-4 helicopter

h8d238d7.jpg

By the way, Romanian Air Force was the 5th in the world to incorporate helicpters. First 4 - USA, USSR, UK, France.

Anyway, off we go with the build.

To all our friends and family who have been impacted by this scourge, this is a little gesture of support, a very little one but by no means insignificant. The smallest gesture counts and helps because they all come from people who care, and all their well wishing and prayers matter. A lot. God bless, good luck everyone with this campaign, it's for a very worthy cause.

Laurence

Looking forward to this build. You will do a Hip as well? And finally wasn't the first Helicopter used in warfare a PKZ-2 from Austria in WWI or were you meaning in a different context?
James

Looking forward to this build. You will do a Hip as well? And finally wasn't the first Helicopter used in warfare a PKZ-2 from Austria in WWI or were you meaning in a different context?
James

Only doing the car for this one. Later on, it might be part of a vignette or small dio.

The PKZ-2 was never used in combat - it was an engineering advance for its' time, that's for sure, but never used for anything other than demonstrations. End of WW1 plus a bad crash during a demo to top brass ended the project prematurely. The link below gives a much more detailed account.

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/petroczy.php

What I meant in my statement was referring to proper Air Force units using helicopters.

Laurence

Moving right along ....nice little kit, glad I came across this one.

Chassis, engine, gearbox and wheels in place. I want to superdetail the engine and interior as much as I can, so this need to be primed and painted prior to doing the body.

h68c4c66.JPG

hee2e69f.JPG

h3b2e22e.JPG

Thanks for looking at this build,

Laurence

Very kind words Gents, thank you :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

More work done. As I have recently discovered the joy of superdetailing, this build will follow the new approach to modeling. I want to superdetail everything that I possibly can.

Chassis and most of the engine parts in the kit, plus suspension and transmission are in place

h31f46e5.JPG

Spark plugs are already "present" - this is a very nicely engineered engine by Bronco, pretty close to the original too. I added the spark leads.

h8755513.JPG

More wires to be added, fuel lines as well. Here are some photos of the real thing

hf411551.jpg

h2e79789.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

James

Only doing the car for this one. Later on, it might be part of a vignette or small dio.

The PKZ-2 was never used in combat - it was an engineering advance for its' time, that's for sure, but never used for anything other than demonstrations. End of WW1 plus a bad crash during a demo to top brass ended the project prematurely. The link below gives a much more detailed account.

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/petroczy.php

What I meant in my statement was referring to proper Air Force units using helicopters.

Laurence
That crash must have been one bloody affair. It took a brave man to climb into that bucket. Nice work by the way. Gary

Thank you for your kind words Gents, below is a bit of an update:

Most things dry fitted here

h4fe026c.JPG

Same from behind

h9314c84.JPG

Engine details

he0af3e3.JPG

Lots more to do, back to work :D

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Sahweet!

Love the engine/firewall detailing.

Is the yellow fin on the fan some kind of timing thing?

Back