• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell Monogram Cylon Raider Nr. 85-3616

ErnieS

I will build the Revell-Monogram 1/64 scale Cylon Raider. Monogram first issued this kit in 1978 (Good Lord, was it that long ago??) This kit was issued in 1996, and one more issue cam in 2007 with updated parts.
I always wanted to build one of these back in the day (my best friend had one), but I never did, so through the money sucking pit that is Ebay, I finally can have a chance at it.
This kit was made long before slide molds and while decent any vertical, or near vertical surface has no detail so I might add some just to break up those surfaces, we will see.

27769083038_099c8b5656_b.jpg

27769082648_254cf1e848_b.jpg

After doing a bit of research, it looks like Monogram stayed pretty close to the filming miniature so while there are a couple of things to add, nothing like I had imagined. The biggest challenges will be to make the model not see through, cleaning up fit issues, and covering up the holes for the rubber band launched missiles that were in the original issue of the kit. The last issue of the kit had the last two of those issues mostly fixed. So, the first thing is to block off the wide open exhausts.

There is a huge ejector pin mark on the top half of the body in the exhaust that needs to go....

41640379891_8b4d2c0b3c_b.jpg

And two mounting sockets in the lower hull half that need to go......

41640379121_6dabfed68e_b.jpg

And after a couple of pieces of .060 X .060 Evergreen strip were placed in each exhaust outlet on each hull half to act as stops for a bulkhead......

41640378651_6d6168f2e9_b.jpg

These will be spruced up with some etched mesh or similar and the kit exhaust defuser ( which does not come close to filling the opening) will added to the bulkhead. The fit will be better too once the upper and lower hull are forced to play nice and come close to fitting together.
Well, tahts enough for tonight.....er um this morning now I guess...

Back