• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Restoration of G-Marks EXTINCT Bell 47 in 1/20

kryptosdaddy

It may not be extinct because I have one, but this thing is super rare, this is G-Marks Bell 47 G. This baby is in 1/20th scale and has a welded metal frame and a factory assembled rotor assembly.

I wont go into the details of how I came across it, but I have had this kit in THIS condition since the late 80's... some guy in France is asking me about this now as i type, and I don't think selling this could be prudent, neither is letting it rot in a box. So I'm thinking restoration....

http://www.collectair.com/plastickits.html

This link is the only information I have found about the actual kit itself- the listing is about 2/3 down the page....

This is a picture from the link above^^^ This is the entire kit out of box... NOT WHAT I HAVE!!!!

gmarkbell47g2kit.jpg

Here is mine below....

DSCF0002%7E2.JPG

DSCF0001%7E3.JPG

Is there a safe way to strip this metal frame? Remember this is welded metal, from what I understand the kit came with the frame pre primed. This is prima donna quality. Just do not make em like this anymore!

Thanks CR :woohoo:

Why strip it? if you want it another color just paint it another color. If you strip it you'll strip the engine also and it looks like it's attached.

Neat looking kit, that's one reason I haven't gotten one of those new ones, the frame looks way over sized and I would be tempted to make it out of brass...I still have scars from the Halftrack.

After some observation I don't think stripping is the answer, just a little sanding masking the engine area and spraying the rest could suffice, any comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks CR

Edit--- sorry I skipped your post Bob, I'm leaning towards the repaint myself. The engine was built inside the frame! I may have something here Saul has no info about! The forums I have found on this kit praise it for its rarity and its great assembly, screws attach the blades to the spinner and the cockpit to the frame. - it could be a one run production. Sometime in the early 70's.

The frame is 19 1/4 inches long, rotor span is 21 inches. It's a nice sized copter. This was the MASH copter, and the Batcopter and the guy overseas interested has a real one he uses for crop dusting! very versatile bird.

Back