• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The new Border Models Avro Lancaster in 1/32

Heavens Eagle

Hey all, I am not going to do a sprue by sprue review of this kit as there have been a number already done out there in the modeling community. What I am going to do is bring up a big problem with the boxing/ packaging on this kit. One of the other members contacted me about the kit that he received and how a number of parts were damaged.

On a hunch I weighed the box and it came in at a couple of oz's over 10 pounds. (4.5 Kg) That is a bit much to have in a box where there are fine delicate parts that are not protected. This probably should have had some separate boxes for the clear parts and the B sprue that has the delicate canopy framing.

Lanc-01.jpg

Lanc-02.jpg

Lanc-03.jpg

Lanc-04.jpg

Lanc-05.gif

Lanc-06.jpg

Lanc-07.jpg

Lanc-08.jpg

OK, that is my take on this kit. I think the kit and parts are very well done. Some of the issues are from a different company taking over the molds and not quite understanding the needs to do it right (lines in the thin clear parts). I will hold them up about the poor boxing. Even if they did make a mistake in the size of the box, it could have been fixed fairly easily and improved the box without having to remake the existing box parts. The instructions as done are adequate. I only wish that WNW would have been able to finish up this kit and produced it as they would have done with the documentation that would have come with it.
I guess be thankful for even being able to get this kit at this point. Otherwise it probably would never have been produced.

Last edited:
Something I went ahead and did to make things fit better. I clipped the 4 fuselage parts from the sprues. The sprue with the 2 front parts I removed the extra runners in the middle. With those 4 parts better able to nest in narrow areas, the box lid was able to fully set down on the bomb and engine sprues set at the ends without mashing any parts.

I've now seen yours and the other members. Go to Large Scale Plane Forums and and more people are having the same issues with cracked or broken plastic. For the amount the kit cost, everything must be pristine. I find the scuff marks unacceptable. Do you know if you can even get replacement parts for the kit?

I had some difficulties with members over on LSP about 10 years ago. Won't go back there. For me the scuff marks are about 10 seconds to repair on each part. As you said for as much as this kit cost, it should be damn near perfect and the short cuts on the box and packaging really are going to hurt their bottom line in the long run. With 10 pounds of plastic in the box it should have been a bit bigger box and been divided up to separate boxes as Trumpeter does. They cut corners on the front side and it is going to cost them in the end.

I've now seen yours and the other members. Go to Large Scale Plane Forums and and more people are having the same issues with cracked or broken plastic. For the amount the kit cost, everything must be pristine. I find the scuff marks unacceptable. Do you know if you can even get replacement parts for the kit?
I concur. For $900.00 this big bastige should come packed in magic Unicorn fluff and be Doch Perfekt! It looks like the Chinese pulled an "Amber Heard" on their packaging. The least expensive part of any kit.

Mine was boxed perfectly…no issues at all other than it says HongKong Models on the box top…so I guess there’s that.

Something I went ahead and did to make things fit better. I clipped the 4 fuselage parts from the sprues. The sprue with the 2 front parts I removed the extra runners in the middle. With those 4 parts better able to nest in narrow areas, the box lid was able to fully set down on the bomb and engine sprues set at the ends without mashing any parts.
Box lid? :bat Put the big Lanc together!!!:smack:

Chris are you talking about the HK 1/32 lancaster or the Border models Lanc?
OH! Does young Paul have BOTH huge Lancaster kits? I was commenting on the spank-brand-new Border Models 1/32 Lancaster kit.
My own economic model comfort zone would not allow for purchase of either model.
Close the box back up. Buffalo Biscuits!

Oh no Chris! I have a Horton to finish and a large Arizona kit among others that have been started.

I passed on the HK kit as I wanted the WNW kit.

Mine is the HK Models kit, I didn’t know about the WNW kit when I purchased mine. It did come with 4 fuselage halves though. 2 full length clear halves and 2 full length opaque halves.
it’ll be good enough for my mediocre modelling abilities I’m sure.

Mine is the HK Models kit, I didn’t know about the WNW kit when I purchased mine. It did come with 4 fuselage halves though. 2 full length clear halves and 2 full length opaque halves.
it’ll be good enough for my mediocre modelling abilities I’m sure.
Chris, the HK is a really good kit as well. I saw one of them built up at Chattanooga a few years ago and it was impressive. The Border kit is going to be in the stash for a bit to be sure.

Back