• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RAF 112 Sqn Kittyhawk

I might do it this way again MP. Usually i just spray a area of yellow them cut a couple of strips to mask what i want. just seems easier to mask a little strip than the whole aircraft but that said this did work quite well.
I always use an airbrush Christian its just that it wasn't worth setting it up for a plain colour that needs no shading or mixing like this yellow :)

I like it so far Paddy...

I just bought Kittihawk Mk.III (P-40M) and decals from 112 Squadron
BTW - my P-40 will be a little unusual as for 112 Sqn - it's GA-Q FR309

0-P-40M-RAF-112Sqn-CA-Q-FR309-Cutella-Italy-1944-0B.jpg

Hubert, I looked into this model as I find it VERY interesting but there is some information you may want to know. The serial number was 42-45899 which means that the artwork is wrong. FR309 was a P-40K-1CU accepted by the RAF in July of 1942 and stricken off charge on March 14th of 1946. It seems the web site whose image you linked used the flying P-40N1-CU, 42-104687, as the example for their artwork.

Here is 42-46040, a P-40K-1-CU showing the tail:
P-40K-1-CU+Warhawk+42-46040.jpg

Regards,

I like it so far Paddy...

I just bought Kittihawk Mk.III (P-40M) and decals from 112 Squadron
BTW - my P-40 will be a little unusual as for 112 Sqn - it's GA-Q FR309

Hubert, I looked into this model as I find it VERY interesting but there is some information you may want to know. The serial number was 42-45899 which means that the artwork is wrong. FR309 was a P-40K-1CU accepted by the RAF in July of 1942 and stricken off charge on March 14th of 1946.
Regards,

Yes, was discover same :( It's look that KAGERO made a mistake - it's should be FR806,GAQ, 43-5605, SOC Mar 29, 1945) Its only known Sqdn service was with 112 Sqdn, where it arrived on 19th Jul 1943 when it replaced the missing Kittyhawk III FR511 GA-Q, and stayed with that Unit until 20th Dec 1943 when it was last noted with the Unit thence being replaced by FR229 GA-Q on the 22 nd Dec 1943.

But i have decals for FR864 as well... ;) so i need to mix them only.

FR806GAQ.jpg

DECAL ALERT !!!!

strange decals in this kit. At first i though i was on to a loser with them. I dipped them in fairly warm water and when i tried to slide them off the backing they stretched. I eventually got a wing roundel on but they were so thin and elastic i could leave finger print impressions on them !!just like i had soaked them in Micro sol for an hour. What to do ?? knowing the shark teeth were going to be a real problem to keep in shape. Anyway..as they dried they shrank back into shape just as if i had used micro sol/set...
Purely by chance when i eventually tried the second roundel it went on much easier....why ?? the water in my bowl had gone cold. Even so it shrank back into the panel lines nicely as it dried.
So............lesson here is use cold water on the kit decals.

I have taken these against the light to show you how the decals have shrunk into the lines and remember this is OTB with no sol's or set's

_DSC5205.jpg

_DSC5206.jpg

Good to know as I always use very warm water and thought the Hasegawa decals were no good!

Thanks,

Interesting :hmmm This sure looks good so far.Looking forward to when the fangs hang out.
James

As i thought the decals were hard work, they just screwed up into a ball when i slid them off the paper, took ages to smooth them out with 2 small paint brushes. They seemed intent on folding themselves over and sticking to themselves with no attempt to stick to the model. anyway i have them on now.
Just need to add a flat coat, a bit of finishing here and there and some aerials and gun sights etc.

_DSC5254.jpg

I had the same problems with my Hasegawa decals B-25 plus the ones that I managed to wrestle down wanted to curl up at the edges. Not a fun time . Glad you got them down .

Cheers, Christian B)

Yes that describes what i found, curling up at the edges. I had to put small cuts round the edges to get them to sit down again. Never had that before with decals.

Never have been fond of Hasegawa decals anyway but this newer bunch was really uncooperative . :vmad
Finally had to get replacements for the stars and bars .
Don't know why the difference but Chuckw said his went on good. California water or Chuck magic ? :unsure:

Well, at least now I know it's not just me :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

All done . Pretty straight forward build with no hidden nasty's
Lessons learnt ? Use cold water on Hase decals. Hannants paints are good as long as you primer first. Use alternate shades for panel lines on Camo but maybe more subtle than on this trial. :) :cheer:
Thanks for following and all the comments along the way :)

_DSC5270.jpg

_DSC5273.jpg

_DSC5274.jpg

_DSC5272.jpg

_DSC5275.jpg

_DSC5276.jpg

_DSC5278.jpg

_DSC5280.jpg

_DSC5287.jpg

_DSC5282.jpg

Back