• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Questions on paint booth...

Hippy Ed

Just installed a microwave above the stove & removed the exhaust fan/light hood since the microwave has them installed... Now, what do I need & how do I build a 1/2 decent paint booth?
There's quite alot of talent here so, figgered I'd ask y'all...
Tia, Eddie

Well Ed go to a Paint booth manufacture web-site to get some dimensions, you probably want to make a downdraft so if you get some pegboard material, you could use that for the bottom, may want to drill extra holes, go to home depot for some ducting supplies, and start putting Her together you will need a filter to keep the paint out of motor, Then Bob's Your Uncle. :ro: :dude

Please don't use it with any laquers, enamels or even Tamiya (ether based) acrylics.

That's a brushed motor in the airstream, basically a carburetor with a ready spark.

Should be fine with true acrylics like Vallejo, but anything else and you're taking a healthy risk.

As an example of what I'm talking about, over the summer my son and I were playing around with an idea to make fake explosions for video. We used a small 1/2 inch diameter tube, a grill igniter and one drop of rubbing alcohol. That was enough to spray ash abut a foot high.

Thanks Gerry, I'll go look over some real paintbooths for ideas.

Maybe I oughta give up while I'm behind :idonno :idonno Can't afford to buy materials or, switch paint brands...

The motor isn't neccessarily a brush type motor. You will have to take a look at it. Any non brush (brushless) motor will work fine even in the airstream. Unless you are spraying a real heavy dose of thinner I wouldn't worry too much. One thing though is that it should have a dryer hose adapted to vent it out a window. Get the fumes out.

The motor isn't neccessarily a brush type motor. You will have to take a look at it. Any non brush (brushless) motor will work fine even in the airstream. Unless you are spraying a real heavy dose of thinner I wouldn't worry too much. One thing though is that it should have a dryer hose adapted to vent it out a window. Get the fumes out.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it and see whether it is a brushless or not. Aint looked yet. :facepalm Just recall someone had used a range vent hood for a paint booth on another board & I got to thinking... If I follow thru with it, I'll be venting it out the window. :good:

A range hood works just fine, I used one for years while shooting all kinds of auto paints with no issue other than it would suck all the warm air out of my basement hobby room.

See my lawyer for the fine print details.

I went & looked the range hood over &looks like it is of the sealed type as I could not see anything on the inside of the motor... :hmmm

Back